Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
related to the title, i can say only one thing:
n900 is too old to be compared to S2, the choice is evident for S2.

if u like the maemo software, maybe it is better to find a solution to port the software on other phones.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Hong Kong
Regarding the question at hand, it really depends on you and your preference. If you just want a smartphone to make calls, message, email, simple web browsing, gaming etc. the SGS2 would probably be the better choice right now. As many people have pointed out, the N900 is more like a mini computer/internet tablet that can make calls rather than simply a smartphone.

Personally, I would never swap my N900 for an SGS2 as long as it still works, and I use mine daily as a phone too. I can also understand long time Maemo users searching for N900s to replace broken/lost ones, there simply isn't anything quite like it currently, including the N9 which is more of a conventional smartphone.

But for new users or those less familiar with the N900 and Maemo, who don't really need its unique capabilities, openness and versatility, and who primarily want just a smartphone, they may be better off getting an SGS2 or another leading smartphone. The Galaxy Nexus looks pretty cool, but it's pretty obvious Samsung has cut back some of the hardware features to implement in a SGS3 next year. In some aspects (screen technology, graphics GPU) the Galaxy Nexus is beaten by the GS2!

Originally Posted by ioncelmare View Post
related to the title, i can say only one thing:
n900 is too old to be compared to S2, the choice is evident for S2.

if u like the maemo software, maybe it is better to find a solution to port the software on other phones.
Elephant sh|t!!! Good software never gets old. Crappy Android gets old fast since it relies on the current best HW. Come SGS3, everyone will call the SGS2 sh|t, just like they call the SGS now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Of course they will, since the SGS3 will be a ton better.

I mean, I would call my old 286 ****, because it cant do what my current desktop computer can, but at the time it was pretty sweet.

Thats... technology.

I mean, I wouldnt call the N900 state of the art either, it lacks in RAM and the screen being resistive isnt exactly a huge plus, also the battery drains fairly fast on mine at least.

Course, software is what youre REALLY talking about, and I agree there. Remember windows vista? Man that was ****.

Anyways, maemo5 is an awesome OS, if only it had HW that could do it justice.

Why are you considering the N900 and not the N9? The answer to this question will probably tell us whether the N900 or S2 is the better choice for you.

I love my N900, but mostly because it was awesome when it was released and is still a nice device to tinker with. At this moment however I would not buy it. IMHO, the resistive touchscreen and slower CPU don't meet todays expectations of phone in this price range.

While there will always be a community of sorts for the N900, many people are moving on. Momentum in the S2 (or N9) community is probably more exciting.

FYI, I use a N9 as my daily driver and have an HTC Sensation in the other pocket for some apps unavailable on the N9. My N900 comes in only when I need to do some Terminal work, where the physical keyboard is very helpful.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by slai View Post

I mean, I would call my old 286 ****, because it cant do what my current desktop computer can, but at the time it was pretty sweet.

Thats... technology.

I mean, I wouldnt call the N900 state of the art either, it lacks in RAM and the screen being resistive isnt exactly a huge plus, also the battery drains fairly fast on mine at least.

Course, software is what youre REALLY talking about, and I agree there. Remember windows vista? Man that was ****.

resistive screen is maybe not a huge plus but is definetly a plus, since resistive touch tehnology is much more advanced than capacitive crap...

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slai View Post

Thats... technology.

What good have you seen out of those dual cores? Laggy software becoming less laggy? By the time SGS3 hits, you still won't be able to smell that dual core frying, not even a little bit.

Resistive screen is a plus, especially N900's. It's super sensitive (nearing capacitve screen sensitivity), it's much more accurate to use a stylus (mouse hover mode), and I can use it in the winter with gloves. The only negative I see, is the lack of gorilla glass.

Anyways, maemo5 is an awesome OS, if only it had optimized drivers, a boatload of resources and smart managing department inside Nokia, to do it justice. OMAP 3 is perfectly fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
resistive screen is maybe not a huge plus but is definetly a plus, since resistive touch tehnology is much more advanced than capacitive crap...
I disagree that its a plus as a general rule, it might be more advanced but the devices Ive used (n97 and n900) with resistive have been hell to navigate with compared to multitouch capacitive which just feels better.

Of course, its a matter of preference. Ive been toying around with my N900 as of late, and compared to my n9 and sgs2 its... well it might just be unusual since Im used by now to very responsive capacitive screens.

I do however miss the mousepointer in microB... mouseovermenus on some sites are there, and nothing can be done in any browser Ive used since microB, and thats pressurescreen for ya I guess.

I just get the feeling that capacitive are easier to use, while lacking some of the accuracy of the capacitive on the N900.

What good have you seen out of those dual cores?
Doesnt the SGS2 stock browser use dualcore? I dont care about dualcore that much, its more the RAM that hits, I guess.

My N900 is slow as **** in certain things, but that might not be a HW issue at all. Like app manager. Or just general whooping around the menus and apps.

Im not saying its unbearable, Im just saying its slower than SGS2/N9.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
lol, are you calling n900's touch unresponsive? you must be joking, it instantly reacts on a slightest push while having the great feature of not reacting when you just touch it(and unintentional touches are something that happens to everyone, you lie if you say that they dont happen to you, and that is something that i hate whenever im using a capacitive screen)

ease of use is identical...especialy if you are talking about gestures and multitouch, because those two things have nothing to do with touch technology, multitouch resistive digitizers exist for years(althou i dont see much use for MT except for games when HW keys are unavailable)

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
good idea?