Active Topics

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
If only N950 was available

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
When the N900 was released we had devs just going bam bam bam tweaks and apps coming all over the place.

N9 doesnt seem to be getting much attention, kind of sad but do you all think it will pick up eventually or soon...
Fremantle was stillborn, but had a lot of things going for it (older Hildon and even "desktop" stuff could be ported easily, it was going to get Qt, the RX-71 was just around the corner and Maemo was going to be The Future in one form or another). Harmattan is stillborn, and the end of the line, period.

If somehow another, very popular, Qt mainstream platform (no, Symbian isn't it) emerges then the N9 might get some scraps. Otherwise, this is as more or less as good as it gets.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
(esp. with about 1000 N9 given to developers for free, compared to about 300 N900 back then).
That's part of the problem. Freebies are no substitute for real engagement and collaboration.

Donated (loaned?) hardware aside, the N9 isn't attractive to commercial developers (the platform's burnt already), Free software lovers (much less free than earlier versions or the competition, and locked down to boot) or general techie hackers (overpriced device with too many artificial limitations). Who's left to code for it?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Jip. N9 is all dressed up but nowhere to go...yet somehow I feel that Nokia will keep Meego/Maemo on life support, how long for depends if the company can get on the winning side again. It is early days...

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
really? i find the N9 very exciting and everyday im seeing new things to play around with. i just feel sorry for my n900 which i only use to play music on my car radio I dont really miss my n900 and its bad battery life. strangely enough since i took the sim out of my n900 the battery seems to last for ever and ever...

i also thought that i was gonna miss the hardware keyboard but the virtual keyboard makes u feel like ur typing on a real keyboard and since i activated swype keyboard i can now type much much faster!

i love my N9!!

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Yes, boring compared to.

However thanks to the N9 being more closed than the N900, having less sharp display and especially it lacking a HWKB, I now learned to appreciate the N8 much more.

At release around 10/2010 I considered the N8 disappointing (no HWKB, E7 HWKB but no camera, internal battery, no share online, no Skype) but now I notice we are not moving forward with other devices and the N8 has matured into Anna and upcoming Belle so I chose to consolidate.

I love the hardware camera shutter button and Camera HD Pro program on the N8, the configurable desktops, the movie playback performance and general feeling of robustness.

Spend more time outside and less dwelling forums to see if anything move with the N9.

And last but not least:
Contrary to the N9, at this point in time I could just walk into a Hanoi Nokia Service Center and ask them nicely to switch my inferior purple tinted N8 display to one of the latest batch (MP40 serial if anyone interested), without discussion from Nokia side and being called delusional by other N8 fans

For serious mobile email typing and secure internet connections I use the N900.
Also my game Wagic does require input precision of the N900.

N9 -although I love the performance of Fennec thanks to 1GB RAM- is up for sale, will check back in a year what became of it after the Aegis has been neutralized.

I wish the N9 will not take the light away from the N900 and succes to Nemo style projects. So that both hardware N900 and N9 style platforms can co-exist and complement each other successfully.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: