Evening all, it is my first post on the board, but I have been following the discussions for a while, it is a great place.

I got a question about the temperature of your N9 device. My phone gets regularly pretty hot and for this to happen it is enough to run 3 to 4 applications.

Is this normal or should I get it checked out? I have done resets, updates etc. Would be glad to hear the experience of other users. I got my device in Finland if it helps.

the only time my n9 heated up a lot (nearly as hot as.. er, my laptop?) was when i ran fennec with the add-on scriptish constantly running a script. i think the script was pretty cpu-heavy thus the heating issue. even when i closed fennec it was still very hot. i had to shut it down about 5 minutes for it to cool completely.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
As the CPU chip has no fan the only way for it to disperse heat is using the small heat sink which is touching the chassis of the phone. It's normal for it to get warm, if it gets too hot to hold in your hands then you should worry, but now I am pretty sure everything is ok.

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by cariltos View Post
Evening all, it is my first post on the board, but I have been following the discussions for a while, it is a great place.

I got a question about the temperature of your N9 device. My phone gets regularly pretty hot and for this to happen it is enough to run 3 to 4 applications.

Is this normal or should I get it checked out? I have done resets, updates etc. Would be glad to hear the experience of other users. I got my device in Finland if it helps.
This is not normal. Heavy use of 3G can turn it hot, but otherwise it really shouldn't be hot or noticably warm.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I never felt the N9 reach N900 temperatures (stock freq). On the other hand I never stressed it too much, like the N900.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

You should check is there any hanging active process (like satellite postioninig) - what is the CPU use ? - does it idle at all ? ... I suggest you to use Battery Usage Apps (it shows you what is using your battery and how much is power consumption for current, active and idle) and ResourceMonitor apps (third one, top processes - practically all processes should be 0,00 % on idle state) ... to find all that out ? - it is easiest way to control that .... by the way, your idle power consumption should be on 10 mA-level (it might be occassionally higher, like after using some apps, but it should drop down on that level again) ...

many thanks for your help guys. i checked out the apps and the stats i received are all fine. i should run the apps again when the device is getting hot.

perhaps some of you will role their eyes now, but i have not experienced the heat issue after putting a different SIM into the phone.