Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
And the Oscar goes to... er, could the Academy Awards move to Nokia Theatre in 2013?
http://mynokiablog.com/2012/01/14/an...comment-465445

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ houston, tx
i have a question related to upgrading the firmware and now that PR1.2 is being mentioned its become a little more important to me...
My wife has a black N9 that i bought for her in Qatar - about 6 weeks ago she got the message to update her firmware - both single updates to apps and the system update.
She's currently on initial firmware; since she has no cellular data plan to speak of - and a very sketchy internet connection (due to intermittent broadband and also power interuptions) what is a reliable way that i can get her N9 updated to PR1.1 (or even 1.2)?
Is there a way i can download the update myself using a reliable broadband connection, save it to a USB stick and then later update her N9? If so, how?

Second question is for those who have been using the rubber case that came with the N9 - what other case/s have you been using along with the rubber case?
Anyone using a case that has a wrist strap?
tia

Enable zoom in video recording on your N9 !
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by SlipKoRnSaad
http://maemobriefs.blogspot.com/2011...e-zoom-in.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 5 steps you'll be able to zoom during video recording with your lovely N9, I also tested it, it works fine :

1- Enable developer mode (Settings> Security> Developer Mode) if not already done.

2- Download the file camera.conf
http://www.box.com/s/1mjsq0g5kxyk72utiq3n

3- Open Terminal and enable root acces :
-devel-su
-password : rootme

4- Copy the downloaded file in the etc directory:
cp/home/user/MyDocs/camera.conf/etc/camera.conf

5- Restart the device.
/sbin/reboot

Note:
-It can now zoom both with the top bar (like the pictures) and with the volume rockers.
-To remove this tweak just delete the file by repeating the procedure from step 2 to step 5 and type this command:
rm/etc/camera.conf

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
N9 Apps : MeeCamHor
[Capture Pictures with FFC]

What a horrible name for an App!
But we finally have an app to utilize the FFC on our N9′s to take photos. "Take a photo of yourself everyday to see how much you have changed!" It isn’t a free app, costing CAD$0.99, but it works as advertised, so that should be fine. Even though it should have actually been a free feature - included by default.

Download it here:
http://store.ovi.com/search?q=MeeCamHor

Note: This app requires firmware PR 1.1 or above.

so i am guessing that since nobody has answered my question about an "offline" download and subsequent upgrade of the n9 firmware it isnt possible?
does the NSU "save" a local copy of the firmware file somewhere such that i might be able to copy it and then use it later?
if i could use my fast internet connection which is stable that would be the preferred route then later use that file to upgrade the firmware.
or am i going to have to suffer the intermittent internet and download a approx. 1GB file?

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by javid View Post
i have a question related to upgrading the firmware and now that PR1.2 is being mentioned its become a little more important to me...
My wife has a black N9 that i bought for her in Qatar - about 6 weeks ago she got the message to update her firmware - both single updates to apps and the system update.
She's currently on initial firmware; since she has no cellular data plan to speak of - and a very sketchy internet connection (due to intermittent broadband and also power interuptions) what is a reliable way that i can get her N9 updated to PR1.1 (or even 1.2)?
Is there a way i can download the update myself using a reliable broadband connection, save it to a USB stick and then later update her N9? If so, how?

Second question is for those who have been using the rubber case that came with the N9 - what other case/s have you been using along with the rubber case?
Anyone using a case that has a wrist strap?
tia
this should have everything for the manual update
http://www.n9fanclub.com/2011/11/how...11-on-any.html

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
this should have everything for the manual update
http://www.n9fanclub.com/2011/11/how...11-on-any.html
thanks - am i to assume that with this way of upgrading that the apps that have been downloaded will be no longer there and need to be reloaded?
Does using NSU require reloading of apps?

Originally Posted by javid View Post
thanks - am i to assume that with this way of upgrading that the apps that have been downloaded will be no longer there and need to be reloaded?
Does using NSU require reloading of apps?
NSU: all integrated apps will be up to date (latest ones, as they are included in that big 1 Gb package), but all other apps, you have to download again ... and it does NOT affect your data either, all your photos, videos, etc. are still there ... so practically, you will need only download those unintegrated apps ... (but to be sure, do a back up in any case, to avoid any loses) ... and be sure that you have the latest NSU (well, if I remember right, NSU want update itself when you start to use it) ...

Typos edited ...

Last edited by jaripi; 2012-01-22 at 19:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaripi For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Just so folks in the future are aware...
This isn't the general help thread, it's the general chit-chat thread.

We didn't start it for Qns for which answers can be found by searching.
It's meant to be news, facts, & chats about Nokia-related stuff.

Tips/findings can be posted, but it's generally a help-seeker-free zone.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-23 at 17:20.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by qorax View Post
<TIP>
I had added that to the N9/x0 guide, but thanks for sharing it with others here.
In the future, can you please post such findings here (also see 1st link in my sig).

It's been sticked by the mods, so users are more likely to share their findings.
But lately it's become much quieter than we had hoped for...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-23 at 17:21.

Tags
depression, winding down