Active Topics

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Chandigarh, India
The memory card stopped showing on my phone. I re-flashed my device. Thereafter, the memory card is showing up but the msg is 'memory card unsupported.' No option to format the memory card. What is the way out?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Is this an external card or the interior card you are having troubles with?
You might first try to check the file system and let it be repaired automatically. This way you will keep the data on it.
You need rootsh installed for this to work for the MyDocs partition. There might happen an error, when, as expected, the partition is unmounted already
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs
This will work for the exterior card as well:
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk1p1
fsck -af /dev/mmcblk1p1
mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1
There might be also an error if the mount point /media/mmc1 does not exist... better reboot in this case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your reply!

The card in question is the external mmc card. Internal memory is working fine, np.

The external memory card stopped being recognized by the phone, though it could be read directly on the computer with a card adapter. So I re-flashed the phone (I didn't flash the eMMC content). Now the external memory is recognized, but the message is: "Memory Card format unsupported."

I do not mind losing the content on the external mmc.

Then try to apply a fresh new file system, aka format the card. There might be an error in the unmount command, if the card is not mounted, again.
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk1p1
mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk1p1
I am not sure if the Maemo system automatically wil pick the card up fine, so if it is not recognized in HildonFileManager, reboot the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
It gives the msg, no such file or directory found and the phone stops showing the memory card. The memory card is corrupted beyond repair, or some other problem?

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
@amlog: how did you format the memory card?

There were issues described in this forum, where the miss of some missing magnet at the backcover made the card seem to disappear. Start here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52224 and try to use 'Advanced Search' of the forum.

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
You will just need to format the card on a pc, and make sure it's not Superfloppy.. N900 can't deal with superfloppy, and formatting will fail (on N900, that is .. not even mkfs will work)