Active Topics

A question to anyone who has one of these Igo keyboards:

Is it stuck with QWERTY or are there different options such as Dvorak too?

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Machster View Post
A question to anyone who has one of these Igo keyboards:

Is it stuck with QWERTY or are there different options such as Dvorak too?
Nothing built-in, and I don't want to try to pry a button off my keyboard because they do not look easily removable/replaceable.

You could put stickers on the key tops.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by dont View Post
Nothing built-in, and I don't want to try to pry a button off my keyboard because they do not look easily removable/replaceable.

You could put stickers on the key tops.
The keycaps do come off easily enough (at least mine do), but the problem is that merely switching Y and Z keys (to give but one example) is not enough by a long stretch.

So in the end stickers seem to be the way to go...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
The keycaps do come off easily enough (at least mine do), but the problem is that merely switching Y and Z keys (to give but one example) is not enough by a long stretch.

So in the end stickers seem to be the way to go...
There's no real point. Yes you could move the caps around, but then then all the Fn-escaped keys are scrambled, and stickers are just gonna be a mess. Best off just doing what I do, type Dvorak on what you can and QWERTY on everything else.

Dvorak is not merely rearranging the keyboard letters. The software has to have a Dvorak configuration option. OS2008 does not seem to have one built in to the control panel settings. So unless the keyboard has this option then rearranging the letters (for those who need it) is useless.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Machster View Post
Dvorak is not merely rearranging the keyboard letters. The software has to have a Dvorak configuration option. OS2008 does not seem to have one built in to the control panel settings. So unless the keyboard has this option then rearranging the letters (for those who need it) is useless.
Yes, we're well aware.

maemo is Linux, so changing the layout wont be a problem. There's a thread somewhere around here discussion the very thing.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post

maemo is Linux.
Yes, we are well aware. But hoping to have an easier and more covenient way to configure it though.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
There's no real point. Yes you could move the caps around, but then then all the Fn-escaped keys are scrambled, and stickers are just gonna be a mess. Best off just doing what I do, type Dvorak on what you can and QWERTY on everything else.
I now have keyboards with so many different layouts (Belgian AZERTY, Franch AZERTY, Dutch QWERTY, US QWERTY, Italian QWERTY, German QWERTZ) that my typing skills are in serious peril. I might follow your suggestion.

BTW, stickers can really work, but need work. The trick seems to be to make the stickers just slightly smaller than the keycaps and apply ample amounts of sealant/varnish. Obviously, this cannot be done with the keycaps in place (or rather, it cannot be properly done that way).

I switched from qwerty a while back, and on my ultra portable notebook I was not able to change they keys (physically) so once I was good at typing (on a keyboard that did have the keys re-arranged) I simply left they keys alone on the notebook, and switched the layout settings. I could then touch-type on the notebook even with the old keys in their places. It doesn't matter what they keys say on top, as long as you don't look at the keyboard, just type dvorak.
that worked for me anyway.

lol, I ordered one of those about a month ago, and paid like $70 for it, but still it is a great Kb, and I don't regret the purchase.