Posts: 283 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ VENEZUELA
Greetings Meegos, anyone know if there is no way that the screen rotate N9 for both right or left.
Thank you.

Last edited by guillermorojaz; 2012-06-22 at 00:32.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
yes there is a way, but its blocked by default by purpose. (which also means that I won't publish how to in this forum).

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-06-22 at 00:20.

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
yes there is a way, but its blocked by default by purpose. (which also means that I won't publish how to in this forum).
Can you at least tell us that purpose ?

The Following User Says Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Brussels
interested to know how this is done...

Thanks for this. It's like you just said "I have a secret and I'm not going to tell you."

I understand there must be a reason for it and sharing that reason with intelligent people probably won't kill anyone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slarti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
reason is that some applications have hardcoded coordinates/layout in it and they are screwed on that orientation. If you really want to use reverse orientations you can just look component gallery sources on gitorious (you can download the example from developer mode menu).

Its not a secret, but its disabled so that all applications would work. And its really stupid usability wise anyway.

guillermorojaz: you only asked if its possible or not, you didn't ask how to on original question. So the question deserved yes/no answer.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-06-22 at 00:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
reason is that some applications have hardcoded coordinates/layout in it and they are screwed on that orientation. If you really want to use reverse orientations you can just look component gallery sources on gitorious (you can download the example from developer mode menu).

Its not a secret, but its disabled so that all applications would work. And its really stupid usability wise anyway.

guillermorojaz: you only asked if its possible or not, you didn't ask how to on original question. So the question deserved yes/no answer.
An application that rotates to the left can rotate to the right and still work, other applications can just stay in portrait or upside down. Enabling these reverse orientations wouldn't break anything.

(Not that I'm sure how to do it...)

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Opera web browser rotates all the sides. Up-Down, Down-Up, Left-Right, Right-Left.
So, it can be done, on the app side.

The Following User Says Thank You to gpollano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
It's not a restriction in the OS, it's a restriction set by Nokia in Harmattan, through a config file.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Well, the rotations are available to developers, you just have to request them in apps (although the landscape>inv.landscape and portrait>inv.portrait animations became horribly broken for qml apps in PR1.2).

I quite like the UX decision that apps don't go all the way round though because otherwise it would limit the vitally important lying-down-in-bed usecase. (or you'd need a system-wise rotation lock switch)

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post: