Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
I am still surprised up to now about how good the microb broswer is! its the best browser on any phone currently even though its outdated! its so amazing to be able to watch youtube videos directly in the browser!

p.s: i have to agree about what Scorpius said about adblock. after i uninstalled it all my pages seemed to load faster

Originally Posted by NiQ View Post
@peterbjornx I'm pretty interested in your solution. Any ideas on how to build the desktop version of Firefox for maemo?
Just install Iceweasel. It's Firefox with the branding removed.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Just install Iceweasel. It's Firefox with the branding removed.
Clarification: Install Easy Debian, then run image downloader (it should be in your apps menu as "Download Debian images" or something similar). It should place shortcut to Iceweasel in your app menu.

I have yet to find a better mobile browser than the MicroB. Sluggish at times but gets the job done in 99% of situations. My only complaint is that you can't easily close the active window while in portrait mode. Opera Mobile is nice and fast too, but it feels like it drains the battery faster than the MicroB.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I just want to say that Iceweasel works much better if you overclock to 1100 Mhz, and have it run in the chroot environment instead of Hildon's environment. Startup will still be slow, but it's to be expected.

So after installing Easy Debian (and Iceweasel) launch the Debian Chroot and actually type in iceweasel. The interfece will look like the standard light-gray, Gnome 2 style instead of dark. This is the environment you want.

I also have yet to try other browsers in the Debian chroot, like Lynx or Uzbl, but I hope they work, so I don't have to use libwebkit in Fremantle (bleh).

Last edited by mrrhq; 2012-06-21 at 20:53.

The n900 is coming close to 3 years old now. When it fist came out it almost did replace netbooks, tablets and phone, packaging it all into one. Today it's hardware might be getting on the slow side, the flash support went a longtime ago and web pages have been packed with so much more data than ever before, it's no surprise that older computers even struggle to keep up.But you can overclock to speed up a bit, you can trick websites' flash detector into playing flash so it works almost like normal, you that can still watch bbciplayer and other video streaming, and flash sites. And I'm not talking about mobile sites, these are the same sites your desktop will load. What other 'phones' are still being put to such great use after 3 years. Plenty of up to date android phones find it hard to get the 'full web' version of sites. Even when on a web site, I find it supfremely frustrating trying to copy and paste something in android too. A 1 second job on an n900.
If some manufacturer would just update the hardware specs the whole maemo, or whatever it's calling itself today, OS would be totally on top of any other mobile OS. Especially if that alien dalvic thing gets finished, no one would have to miss out on apps if they wanted them.

I've been thinking more about this today.

In 1999 I got myself a desktop pc. It wasn't the top spec but it was ok. It ha the same processor clock speed that the n900 has. It did have a graphics card (they didn't all have a seperate '3d' one back then.) It was a voodoo2, which was good but the ram and clock speed were well below the spec of what's in an n900 It had a 6gb hard drive, compared to 32gb.

I thought that pc was the 'bees knees'. I could play loads of cool games and office stuff etc, and surf the web.
Looking at what's in my other pocket now. 2 and a half years going on 3 years later, a top spec device, the galaxy note has a dual core processor at 1.2ghz(is that right?itams something like that) A much higher spec graphics processor, and a beautiful screen. Still got a large ish hard drive, but the price of sd cards is pretty low now anyway. It does't have a keyboard, and it doesn't have something you can use like a mouse. N900 didn't really either but you could swipe in a mouse pointer so it had some of the functionality. It does take over some of the functions of my pc even today.

So looking at this set of facts, you'd think things would have moved on to where you'd have something better than my old pc that fits in your pocket. Sadly that's not the case. I believe that in the future, people will look back at the high point of pocket computing that was the n900, and the 'dark ages' that seemed to follow afterwards, where devices went backwards, because of using inferior operating systems and software. It will look like a huge financial mistake by nokia, who could have conquered the world with this. Making their money by selling more software and games etc. Then every 2 years or so updating the hardware with a new, faster device, and making sure there are plenty of 3rd party people supporting the use of it's browser and apps etc. This is actually sounding a little like what apple do actually. Well, it works for them and the OS is crap, anddevices not as good, so why wouldn't it work with a good device/OS.

Anyway I've probably gone way off topic now and written half of war and peace. Sorry about that

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Is there the source of Nokia Browser for MeeGo available?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: