Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
One crucial difference is that these are not pre-configured out of the box and hit daily by every active N900 out there. Until we know how much traffic extras serves we can only speculate :-(

On the other hand, 2.0 .. 4.1 extras should be doable on any non-zero budget.
Are we sure that the community will have to support Fremantle extras entirely out of its pocket? Are there N900s in the wild that are still under warranty?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Eventually we will.

Mine is still under warranty, but was bought long after it was discontinued. In fact it was in stock in-store for a pretty long time as the Nokia Care system said it was out of warranty and I had to provide the receipt. I bought it less than a year ago and it still had PR1.1 on it. My brother's has one or two months more.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Are we sure that the community will have to support Fremantle extras entirely out of its pocket?
No, and of course if someone, anyone, is willing to sponsor it they're welcome :-)

Are there N900s in the wild that are still under warranty?
Probably (hey, even my latest N810 is less than 2 years old), but I don't think continued availability of extras is a warranty issue. In any case, arguing on that basis won't get far as we know Nokia hasn't been honouring the warranty even for hardware defects for a while now (see various threads with people getting stuck with E7s or worse).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Are we sure that the community will have to support Fremantle extras entirely out of its pocket? Are there N900s in the wild that are still under warranty?
bought my 2nd (new) one in October last year
until a couple weeks ago there was a shop selling them (new?) with two years NOKIA warranty, 1st year warrantied by them.
seems to have dropped from the surface of the earth (as did the N9 64GB (both black & white) & 16GB Magenta & Cyan delivered from Finland).

the N900 has been available for several months, but can't say if they sold any.
should still have e-mail address somewhere, will contact them & ask if it is still available

EDIT: as a matter of fact i even spotted it offered on the Phonehouse site with provider contract until a couple weeks ago

Last edited by misterc; 2012-07-02 at 00:53. Reason: available from Phonehouse (with contract)

actually, if you consider NOKIA's long term commitment and their need for a R&D platform, the chances that Maemo.org will quietly sail thru new years' eve into 2013 and on can't just be discarded, indeed.

EDIT: then again, long term commitment to customer support or R&D are not going to be of much use if they file bankruptcy, now, will it?

Last edited by misterc; 2012-07-02 at 01:32. Reason: bankruptcy...

OK - we know that OBS is progressing, but to really *do* something about migrating forums/other infrastructure + calculate cost for OBS network access, we need hard numbers.

Reggie, could You provide average (not during bot attacks) and peak network usage TMO generates? Qgil, could You provide data about extras bandwidth usage (same, average and peak)?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
No, and of course if someone, anyone, is willing to sponsor it they're welcome :-)

Probably (hey, even my latest N810 is less than 2 years old), but I don't think continued availability of extras is a warranty issue. In any case, arguing on that basis won't get far as we know Nokia hasn't been honouring the warranty even for hardware defects for a while now (see various threads with people getting stuck with E7s or worse).
don't know about the N810, but on the N900 extras comes configured (though disabled) in the standard PR

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
No, not disabled. It is configured and enabled by default since PR1.1 or 1.2

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
actually, if you consider NOKIA's long term commitment and their need for a R&D platform, the chances that Maemo.org will quietly sail thru new years' eve into 2013 and on can't just be discarded, indeed.
I think this kind of optimism has to be avoided.

Nokia has just asked that the Maemo servers be moved out of the enterprise facility to somewhere else. X-Fade's personal contract was not extended past June 30. (We got no advance notice.) All we have at this point is the basic maintenance contract with Nemein (which we have not seen).

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
I think this kind of optimism has to be avoided.

Nokia has just asked that the Maemo servers be moved out of the enterprise facility to somewhere else. X-Fade's personal contract was not extended past June 30. (We got no advance notice.) All we have at this point is the basic maintenance contract with Nemein (which we have not seen).
And that is what I call bad news. Not unexpected though, despite all "calm down, there is plenty of time".

Anyway, back to topic.

@qgil, any comments on that. What is the last development you are aware of? Do we have at least a week to save the remnants? What are your "worst case" expectations?

@SD69,what is the legal entity progress?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, responsibility