Active Topics

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
Honestly, I think Lumia 920 lived up to the hype and the iPhone 5 just didn't bring anything new to the table.

This time, almost EVERY adjective like beautiful, world's best, amazing, perfect, revolutionary and all that crap actually seemed like CRAP. " two times more powerful".. "3 times graphics".. "bigger battery".. the same old ****.
This is, I think, what everyone misunderstands about Apple. Of course the iPhone 5 didn't bring anything new to the table. Nor did the iPhone 4. Nor the iPhone 1. Nor the iPad, the iPod, the Mac, etc.

At least until recent times, Apple's hardware has always been behind the curve. Their devices were always slower and more expensive than the competition. What Apple sells, what it has always sold, is the design, not the equipment. With Steve Jobs at the helm, they could pull of tricks like releasing an MP3 player that had only 5 buttons, or a cell phone that was all touchscreen. Jobs had a particular philosophy of design, the vision to create products that lived up to that philosophy, and the drive to produce those devices despite whatever the critics (or even the customer base) said about them.

Honestly, though I didn't agree with Jobs' philosophy, I've gotta admit that Apple under his reign was more effective at creating interesting devices than any other company out there. I still don't see anyone with that kind of vision at any other company today. (The fact that everyone now builds iPhone clones seems proof enough of that to me.)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
^ yup, dude.. I know. I agree with you. I was talking specifically about "this time" and "iPhone 5".. did you read my post?

it actually points to the fact that Steve jobs could do it better, design it better, present it better, and create the hype even better. This time, it just looks like Timmy boy was trying hard to sound as ambitious as Steve, but it didn't work.

we already saw those MP3 designs.. Those touch screen innovations.. Forget about copying, the whole world already caught up. Apple should have created something unique, just to keep their name.. They just couldn't.

actually, it would have sold much better if the presentation was like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXr1kmuqGcU&sns=em

:P

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Oh and don't forget how Tim Cook said that the new Earpods are designed to deliver music into the listener's ears...Wtf???

We understand his point but SJ would never have said something like that even though he too said some stupid things i.e. touch-screen phones should not have a larger than 3.5" screen...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
LOOL!! the new Earpods are designed to deliver music into the listener's ears.. NOOO!! OMG REALLY ?!

see? That's my point.. TC is trying too hard to be stevey.. Instead of cooking up something new :P

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
I agree with you. I was talking specifically about "this time" and "iPhone 5".. did you read my post?

we already saw those MP3 designs.. Those touch screen innovations.. Forget about copying, the whole world already caught up. Apple should have created something unique, just to keep their name.. They just couldn't.
No, that's what I'm saying. The world has never had to "catch up" with Apple. Apple has never created "something unique". What Apple has always done, what Jobs always did, was take the time to re-package existing technologies into an appealing, easy-to-use form.

Apple did not invent the MP3 player. Apple did not invent the touchscreen. Apple did not invent anything at all, and never has! At every Apple release, you could find competitors who already had the same technology out in their own devices. But what Apple does provide is a product that has been thought out, designed, and engineered to a level that nobody else seems able to manage.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
saw this the other day rofl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corduroysack For This Useful Post:
@Copernicus dude.. again. You're not reading my posts.

I know they package it all in easy-to-use form.. but with every iteration of the iPhone, they bought stuff that made it easier or added more features, or added something else that was a "wow" factor. They always did that.. but in iPhone 5, they just didn't add or display anything that seemed different from the iPhone 4S in a good way.

What I'm trying to say is.. if there was no other choice, I would rather get an iPhone 4S rather than an iPhone 5.. because it's cheaper and iPhone 5 doesn't give me anything that's worth the extra money that I wouldn't find in the iPhone 4S.

Got my point now? I'm comparing Apple with Apple. They didn't "repackage" or were "appealing" this time like how you say they always were.

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
I know they package it all in easy-to-use form.. but with every iteration of the iPhone, they bought stuff that made it easier or added more features, or added something else that was a "wow" factor. They always did that.. but in iPhone 5, they just didn't add or display anything that seemed different from the iPhone 4S in a good way.

Got my point now? I'm comparing Apple with Apple. They didn't "repackage" or were "appealing" this time like how you say they always were.
Ah, I see. I don't know if you've noticed, but Apple has gotten into a particular rhythm with iPhone releases. The iPhone 3G presented the iPhone repackaged into a lighter, easier to hold form, but it was the iPhone 3GS that actually doubled the RAM, switched to a higher-speed cortex CPU, and upgraded the GPU (along with adding a better camera). The iPhone 4 provided the shiny new all-glass case, but it was the 4S that added a dual-core CPU and a faster GPU (and again, a better camera). Now, with the iPhone 5, we get an extended-length case allowing for a 16x9 ratio screen and better antenna connectivity. But yes, if those types of design issues don't appeal to you, I would imagine that you should wait for the "S" upgrades, not the numerical upgrades.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Do we believe in this?

Two million fooled

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012...-24-Hours.html

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-09-17 at 16:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Do we believe in this?

To million fooled

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012...-24-Hours.html
Well they are a public-listed company and can't lie about such numbers lest they get sued...So its mostly true...

After all, remember the iPhone will always sell due to the userbase locked in via the apps and services purchases...You wouldn't want to switch when you have spent 100s of dollars on purchases...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:

Tags
don't buy me!, ikebab, itard