Poll: Is your N9 in open mode?
Poll Options
Is your N9 in open mode?

I've testeed for a few weeks FasterN9 1.0 & 1.1 and i conclude that we lost in multitasking what we gain in smoothness and responsiveness.
The 2 main issues i've noticed :

1 : Music stutters when you surf on the web and Spotify is running and streaming in the background. For me it's a dealbreaker as i use often Spotifiy. It may also happen with stock music player but much more less often.

2 : While driving and using "In Car Home" + Drive + Stock music player, the phone connected to car audio by jack audio cable, whenever music should pause during turn instructions, music stutters, doesn't stop and keeps playing over the instructions from Drive. Only when the car is stopped the switch between music and drive instructions works flawlessly. For this drawback i'm not sure that FasterN9 is the cause but i haven't noticed it before.

These issues are all the more regrettable as FasterN9 is a great tool to speed up our precious. Developper has done a great job on it. Give it a try and ask yourself what you prefer in definitive : powerful multitasking or smoother UI ? PR1.3 gave us back a bit more smoothness but it may not be enough for someones so FasterN9 is an option to consider but at a price.

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
I am using the stable version and i get stuttering when streaming music via the lastfm app. However, since i don't do anything on my phone when using lastfm, it doesn't bother me much. I will gladly trade that fault for the silky smooth N9 that FasterN9 gives me!

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Tried unstable 1.1 lately. It's really better than stable 1.0. Smoother and video stuttering didn't increased this time. Either way, I switched from default N9 video player to KMPlayer+MPlayer and now video stuttering doesn't bother me at all!

The Following User Says Thank You to PIDk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
10+ to "unstable" . Very nice!

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Version 1.1.0 was faster but not stable enought for me. It didn't caused data corruption but some apps had strange behaviour sometimes.

So release 1.1.1 revert to the default I/O scheduler but heavily tunned. I hope it is useful.

I read the problems with music streaming apps. While I do not have time to fix these problems now, I am attaching the file I used to fix FirewallPlus Pro to this post. I'd be happy if you guys could help me with the broken apps. Just change the 2nd line to the path of the app executable (or daemon responsible for streaming), change the name of the file and attach to this thread and I will include it in the next release. It's easy.
Attached Files
File Type: txt fn9fix-firewallpro.conf.txt (49 Bytes, 110 views)

Last edited by traysh; 2012-11-01 at 00:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traysh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Netherlands
i using now 1.1.0 , did i have uninstall it before i install 1.1.1 ?

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by Anthony1971 View Post
i using now 1.1.0 , did i have uninstall it before i install 1.1.1 ?
No, you don't

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Netherlands
I'm a little bit afraid for install 1.1.1.....i'm the first one i think......can i install and don't afraid for crashing my N9 ?? 1.1.0 was really perfect and makes me very happy

Last edited by Anthony1971; 2012-11-01 at 01:41.

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
@traysh

Yup, 1.1.0 was faster but I do agree some apps had weird behavior.. but Since the phone was fast, couldn't trace it back to this app. Just rebooted after installing v1.1.1. So far so good.. Will report how this goes.

thanks yo.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

traysh, some questions about cgroups config in 1.1.0 (didn't tried 1.1.1 because I'm pretty comfortable with 1.1.0).

Why did you lowered niceness of meego-im-uiserver from -5 to -1? I think that it is responsible for user input and lowering once niceness isn't a good idea. And why did you placed tracker-store and tracker-writeback in pri_tasks partition from background partition? It solves a problem with very long time of media library updating, but in the cost of uncessary eating cpu when it is not needed.

Just trying to figure out how to tweak FasterN9 for my own needs I've already revert things mentioned above to it's somehow original state and I can say that performance didn't noticeably changed but idle power consumption lowered a bit.