Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
If anyone is using Bitcoin, the distributed digital currency, you can now run the Bitcoin server on your N900, thanks to a port by user doublec at the Bitcoin forum.

You can read about it and download the executable from here:
http://www.bitcoin.org/smf/index.php?topic=2125

This is the non-gui version of Bitcoin (the GUI version uses the wxWidgets library and will be harder to port). Here's how it looks:

Name:  Screenshot-20101208-150337.jpg
Views: 4099
Size:  20.8 KB

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Milton Keynes, UK
loving my N900 sooo much due to this very kind of thing...thanks for finding it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamiefuller For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
how much battery charge is lost by leaving this running in the background?

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-12-13 at 11:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
how much battery charge is loss by leaving this running in the background?
I only run it when plugged in to the charger or to a USB socket. But I'm one of those who has never been able to get a full day out of the N900 battery if I leave WiFi on.

Power consumption is very heavy for the first six hours while Bitcoin is downloading the cryptographically-signed block chain. You absolutely can't do that bit on battery power, nor can you do coin generation on battery power.

If you're just doing transactions, the data "chatter" is fairly light and I don't think it would be a battery life dealbreaker.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
The page is gone now, but seeing as there is an armel package of bitcoind in Debian, what would porting to fremantle or harmattan take?

Is there a guide on porting from Debian to Maemo? I know of optify, but didn't find much more. (Well, there's scratchbox)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evujumenuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
There is no point mining with a N900 even if you could time travel back to the early days and mine the easy hashes, now you wouldn't even mine one block as faster miners would claimjump your blocks every time until the heat death of the universe, your wasted batteries and CPU cycles would just add to the wasted enthropy.
Use this console app as designed for a portable bitcoin wallet, write a QT app if you want a nice GUI frontend.
If you want to get fancy get a square brand credit card reader and utilize the magread app code to add ability to convert national currency to bitcoin so you can accept a credit card for a mobile point of sale.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
I don't think anyone is seriously considering to use their phones to mine for bitcoin.

But as a mobile payment tool, I'd love it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evujumenuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Fife, Scotland.
A silly calculation.
Based on http://blockexplorer.com/q/nethash - I make the difficulty at the time of release about 600, rising to 1200 a month later.
http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator

At current prices - if you had started bitcoind when the original release was posted in this thread on your n900, and then left it running for about 3 months, you would have around 3 bitcoins likely by now, worth about $3000.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpeedEvil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
Originally Posted by SpeedEvil View Post
A silly calculation.
Based on http://blockexplorer.com/q/nethash - I make the difficulty at the time of release about 600, rising to 1200 a month later.
http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator

At current prices - if you had started bitcoind when the original release was posted in this thread on your n900, and then left it running for about 3 months, you would have around 3 bitcoins likely by now, worth about $3000.

Hey! Just running bitcoind can earn you bitcoins? Without mining?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norayr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by norayr View Post
Hey! Just running bitcoind can earn you bitcoins? Without mining?
No. You need to mine to earn bitcoin. But still, as said above, don't bother; even in shared mining pools and even if you have free (to you) power, you'll still not make enough to make it worth it, and probably shorten the life of your hardware noticably.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:

Tags
bitcoin