Active Topics

Poll: Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?
Poll Options
Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Why does that matter if they're in their own OS sub-forum, & probably in a further "Apps" sub-forum (or tagged)?
Makes it easier for devs to manage too, instead of having to manage four discrete threads...
They could have four discrete threads if they preferred, by applying the approach I suggested in one of my prior posts, not sure if it's doable though.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-25 at 15:57.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think I prefer fewer threads, but longer. But that mean the users have to follow the activities more closely. Just look at xda in jolla forum. So many useless threads like "sailfish for X device? " do you want that for all oses. I would rather keep it in a few big threads.

This is what you get with lots of subs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2065

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-25 at 16:21.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I think I prefer fewer threads, but longer. But that mean the users have to follow the activities more closely. Just look at xda in jolla forum. So many useless threads like "sailfish for X device? " do you want that for all oses. I would rather keep it in a few big threads.

This is what you get with lots of subs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2065
But that doesn't have lots of subs, it only has one (under the Jolla Sailfish sub/section) called "Sailfish General".

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes, but just imagine when the standard sub arrives. same threads in the general, development and off topic. Imagine when the also adding forum for the device/Devizes as well.

If we starting with subs. We must have a strategy, not just add a few now that feels fun.

Why do you want so many subs?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

I don't want many subs, I don't get what you're saying, there's only as many as would be needed, no more & no less.
And as explained, the deeper level ones may not even need to be subs in the traditional sense, unless it's deemed that's not optimal or possible.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-25 at 18:01. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
There is also the issue related to number of threads. If we adding lots of subs we will automatically get several threads. Let's say you have an app forking for 4 os. Expect 4 threads... Is that what we want?
I thought of the same issue. Ideal solution for this would be allowing the forum to create "symlinks" for the threads. I.e. that thread would appear in all of related subsections, while in essence being one and the same. But I'm not sure if this forum engine supports such thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Yeah that's the sort of thing I described already, but with the option to not do that if one prefers, no idea if it's possible with VB.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Hi all,

The migration is far from over. Talk was migrated successfully but as you can see, the time I am writing this, the rest of maemo.org is giving 503. All people involved in the migration have been very busy so while this discussion is useful and should go on, please be patient, and do not be so hard on people.

Our mission is not to be a big site to engulf all types of OSes. We may probably not even afford that, as we want to stay ad free. We do want to stay relevant though so restructuring is not out of the question, but it will have to be discussed after all our technical issues are solved. This might take some time.

Thank you very much,

Michael,
on behalf of your Community Council

PS, on a personal note, when thinking about structure, please think about how often you look through the structure of the forum to find what you want or an interesting read.

It will also be much easier for everybody if there are two or three concrete structure proposals, well thought and with problems ironed out, were you believe that it will be clear where a thread should be opened.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
sooner or later, there would not be enough people to discuss only maemo related topics. at least while we don't have maemo fork. then, to keep TMO we need to add mer, and it's derivatives subsections for sure.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norayr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Helsinki