Closed Thread
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hey Jim.

There is nothing more to add to the posts after yours.
Really awaiting your letter and your intentions.

Welcome aboard.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
But it seems a bit late.....

The Following User Says Thank You to setter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jimjag View Post
I plan on writing up a letter introducing myself and my reasons for accepting the appointment, which were based 100% on helping the community and the foundation and in reply to a post on another mailing list which asked for help.
Great. Which mailing list?

Next time you respond to a thread, it would be useful and more powerful to your argument if you did research and obtained "facts".
Love the implication that I didn't. Invalid.

I am a developer, a hacker, and have been hacking FOSS for decades. Whatever "organizational" or "political" roles I may have, are due to my activities as a coder.
Not interested in a pissing contest about your resume. Being a programmer does not make you unique or even naturally qualified to operate an NFP. The fact that you don't point to your work on other foundations, but instead some vaguery about unrelated skills, does not engender confidence or validate the tone you've taken. The Hildon Foundation needs people who understand the issues that the maemo community faces.

As far as caring nothing about HiFo, I at least agreed to help, which seems more than many other people did, based on the fact that the directors felt the need to go outside the community to seek help and guidance.
Not "directors." One "director." One unelected "director." Nobody can figure out why he does what he does, which is a huge part of the problem. The fact that SD69 thought that some pseudorandom dude on some mailing list was a good plan shows more about his failure as a director than it does about your motives. Your passive-aggressive jab about your assumptions regarding nobody else 'stepping up,' when we've been demanding an election for a while now, doesn't sound promising. I look forward to a first-hand account of why you assume that your presence on the board is the great boon you seem to assume it will be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stenny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ culpeper,va.
What about THP? I point him to the election.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I think somebody who has founded an OSS non-profit corporation, and done it successfully, would help us right now. Technical knowledge of maemo is not necessary because we have plenty of those people around.
This would be an absolutely sound and reasonable consideration. It however implies that whoever acts in HiFo on behalf of community to do some technical the slightest stuff (and yes that even includes contracts with Nokia), would pull in, ask, and listen to those technically savvy people we have such abundance of. Actually I don't see this happen, despite several complaints from council.

/jOERG
(COUNCILOR)

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-03-11 at 21:01.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
For me personally, there's no diminution of maemo.org.
I get that. But your words and tone here have left many thinking you're looking to move in a different direction. I know that wasn't your intent, but it was in fact how people interpreted it. I'm not saying this to accuse, but to inform.

I do think about the future as well, and would love to see for example an updated OSS for modern devices having the same form factor as N8x0/N900.
I agree that a long term goal includes the eventual need to reach out and expand the community to new options as the community shifts toward them (much like tablettalk did before becoming TMO). Doing some of that preemptively, like the conversation we had with Jolla or adding a subforum for something new isn't a bad idea. But we should not do so instead of (or at the expense of) the tasks that are needed in the present.

Right now we have existing issues that we must resolve. We have incomplete business with Nokia and others, and need to resolve those items quickly.

Looking forward is great, but if we do so at the cost of losing the existing community in the present, then it's all for not. Just as it's wrong to focus myopically on the distant past, it's also wrong to focus only on the far future. We need to consider both of them, and the present, in order to survive both short and long term.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
I think it would be a good idea to ensure that there are at least two elected members (of the three, or else a majority) on the board who are elected from the community.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
for those who haven't noticed: Jim posted his letter of introduction at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89438

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-03-13 at 11:52.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
for those who haven't noticed: Jim posted his letter of introduction at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...24#post1328124

/j
I think you mean here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89438

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
A newbie post: speaking clearly i would like to see 2 elected and jim in this awkard crossfingerpointing situation for hifo i think elected members are abssoltttely necEssary to maintain a community like a community they as they will be naturally more concerned in it wheras a experienced aliean may have the power to steer it in the right direction thats dierly needed......i would suggest buy more time for election in this traumatic situation that will surely step up the community

Closed Thread

Tags
board