Active Topics

I'm sure all of you have pondered the capabilities of the 770 if it has Infrared (IR) support. Well, would something as simple as this work?

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cabl...=139&catid=139

It's an external USB Infrared and with a Battery Powered Hub in USB Host mode, it will be REALLY nice. Now, all we need is someone to create an IR remote program for the 770. Anyone think this is possible?

It would be cool. You would also need irda drivers. I dont think my wife would be too thrilled dragging all that into the living room to just change the channel.

Originally Posted by troubleshootr
It would be cool. You would also need irda drivers. I dont think my wife would be too thrilled dragging all that into the living room to just change the channel.
Well, I wasn't really planning to use it at my house. It would just be really cool if you were at school or someone's house and changed the channel or turned on the TV to mess with them. lol

Originally Posted by kutibah
Well, I wasn't really planning to use it at my house. It would just be really cool if you were at school or someone's house and changed the channel or turned on the TV to mess with them. lol
Yeah, cool idea, but think of the size of the package. Much better if you can do that with something that fits in palm of one hand. Better if you can wrap your fingers around it.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by kutibah
Also, most computer-related IRDA-transmitters have a range of only 1 to 2 meters. It doesn't say on the site how far this one reaches, which does not bode well, so a "prank" where you 'd practically have to walk into the TV to change the channel might lose some of its charm.

I've been looking at one of these:

http://www.innotechsystems.com/spitfire6001.htm

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/pch...tem/spitfire2/

I already use vncviewer to connect to my media pc. This device "could" allow one to put all your A/V equipment in the same place and then drive it from the pc using your Nokia.

I'm going to get one in the next few weeks, and I'll post my results.

I have mod'ed my TiVO for network control. I can now control all TiVO functions via the web. WiFi, so it can be done anywhere in the house with the 770.

Ideally, you'd have a USB device hooked up to a PC that runs a mini web server on a specific port, and accepts input via forms. The device would have RF connections to an arbitrary number of RF-to-IR base stations that could be placed throughout your home. The base stations would speak to the specific devices.

770 / other PDA / laptop / any networked device with web access
|
\/
PC Application
|
\/
USB RF to IR device
|
\/
RF to IR base station(s)
|
\/
all home electronics

I picture something like this costing $100-$200 for the PC device, and $30-$50 per base station. It would be a nice way to control your whole house full of IR gadgets from one remote.

How about using an IR emitter attached to the 770's headphone socket? I have seen it done with an iPod...

Check out Zigbee for this kind of stuff. Home automation is becoming more and more possible with off the shelf stuff.

David