Active Topics

Originally Posted by txus View Post
It would also be nice to see how the compatibility with HTML5 apps works
At least we can expect compatibility with Firefox OS API and applications.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
At least we can expect compatibility with Firefox OS API and applications.
Yeah, but I meant actually see it, not just expect it Even a screenshot like the ones we have now of Android apps would be cool (although they are just the launcher icons and a quote saying that they work, but still...).

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jpel View Post
Antti Saarnio on Digitodays interview

http://www.digitoday.fi/mobiili/2013...a/201312920/66
This is why I'm not sure if I want buy Jolla phone.

"Nyt Sailfish-järjestelmän voi periaatteessa laittaa vaikka olemassa olevaan Android-laitteeseen"
=
"Now Sailfish OS can, in principle, to put even into an existing Android device"

If I buy Nexus 4 or something and can Install Sailfish on it I get better hardware for cheaper?

Last edited by Mikkosssss; 2013-09-16 at 15:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
This is why I'm not sure if I want buy Jolla phone.

"Nyt Sailfish-järjestelmän voi periaatteessa laittaa vaikka olemassa olevaan Android-laitteeseen"
=
"Now Sailfish OS can, in principle, to put even to an existing Android device"

If I buy Nexus 4 or something and can Install Sailfish on it I get better hardware for cheaper?
Welll I'll be definitely be buying my Jolla device, regardless of what HW comes to suport SailfishOS.
If only to show my respect to the fine people making this possible. And to give my support to a Finnish mobile device company.
And besides, it's fairly inexpensive so there's no real reason not to.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
reveals following on last sentence:
"We will announce full technical specifications for the phone during this week, when we start second pre-book campaign"
Encouraging news, but I hope that means they're planning to commence shipping in 2mth max.
Any longer & what's likely to be mediocre specs will be more so by xmas/new_yr, + much of the buzz would've worn off.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
About the Android hardware issue. See the critical comment from the Lima driver developer: http://libv.livejournal.com/25325.html
His points are valid, if libhybris is going to become a permanent thing, instead of a temporary crutch to gain foothold.
I don't think the idea was ever for it to become permanent, it's a necessary evil until a certain critical mass is reached, if it ever is.
I don't think it's as dire as this dev thinks, it's still more of a +ve overall than a -ve, at least it's given small start-ups like Jolla a fighting stance.

I wish they'd publish such stuff in English in timely manner as well
According to some here that's just dumb thinking & asking for too much...

IIUC it's not as simple as that, there'd need to be customised Sailfish ROMS, Jolla isn't close to facilitating that yet, & they've been cagey on whether they ever will.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Welll I'll be definitely be buying my Jolla device, regardless of what HW comes to suport SailfishOS.
If only to show my respect to the fine people making this possible. And to give my support to a Finnish mobile device company.
And besides, it's fairly inexpensive so there's no real reason not to.
I'll be buying, not out of Finnish pride, but because of what it means longer-term for the entire industry if MeR/Sailfish/Nemo & ODM's like Jolla take-off.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-16 at 16:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
You can probably do it, or somebody else. I wouldn't expect the world+dog to come up with an image and a flasher for any android device out there. Also, I'm still unsure as to what the big hype is with "better hardware", which often translates to "more cores and more CPU frequency". This is a mobile phone device we are talking about... do you want it to last you 4 hours on battery or would you rather have it running for a couple of days at least? Jolla are designing their hw thinking about a smooth experience, as they mentioned time and time again. I am personally not planning to do video editing on my phone, but ymmv.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
I'm very pleased that they can use standard Android Hardware. It makes it easier for them to have many hardware sources as well as makes it easier for other partners to try Sailfish. If they push Qt then developers can create Android and Sailfish (and BB OS10) and get native in each environment. Perhaps I am over simplifying it but Qt is trying to make different mobile OS targets with the same code that might be the end goal to get more native apps that way. They are running a business and they seem to have made sound business decisions even if some purists don't like their approach. I want to see a second Jolla device someday so their first device must be a success

if only lumia 1020/808 can run sailfish that is a better camera hardware

Last edited by youmeego; 2013-09-16 at 16:10.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Antti Saarnio on Digitodays interview

http://www.digitoday.fi/mobiili/2013...a/201312920/66

reveals following on last sentence:

"We will announce full technical specifications for the phone during this week, when we start second pre-book campaign"
that is a brilliant statement! This will be awsome jolla week.we need a countdown.
Tuesday is without a doubt the best day to release the full spec.
I want that jolla phone.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-09-16 at 16:21.

can i know what the disadvantages of android hardware compatibility are?

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red