Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Yeah, noticed 'new announcement' and was a bit surprised. They mentioned dalvik from the start, really thought this was achieved long ago. Then thought maybe they will announce full compatibility up to 4.2 or something (with BB poor performance in this area it would make sense to show a demo), but nope, just achievement. I really hope this is just a refreshment and beginning of a new mini-marketing campaign for the second batch (now we learn all specs, new deals with networks (China anyone? it was sooo quiet about this market except for a few HTC rumours), hw partnerships for the second half) for the coming few weeks. Didn't connect this with Samsung/Tizen, is Tizen 64-bit? Last heard their next high-end will run after 5s
I think u should not compare it with BB. Jolla is using libhybris so may very well use dalvik from upstream if its open?

also found out that it seems Jolla will use libhybris for NFC drivers too...

https://github.com/libhybris/libhybr...p/libnfc_nxp.c

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
What folks have been talking about in the last few pages isn't the Alien Dalvik ACL but rather libhybris, the bionic <--> libgcc dvr/hw compatibility layer.
Some of Jolla's recent public statements have lead some folks to assume that Sailfish ports to Android devices are now just a "hop, skip, & a jump" away.
But I get your point about an ACL for Apps, & more-or-less agree with the main thrust of what was said...
I was addressing the one person that asked what's the disadvantages to having Android as noted here and not addressing the Alien Dalvik nor libhybris stuff.

Actually I'd rather not address that stuff because ultimately it's frivolous information and at the end of the day, to know, learn and master that information really means nothing wherein it has no bearing on what the final majority of the consumers gravitate towards.

Simply stated... it's nerdy information that either works or doesn't work and knowing the internals doesn't add or negate those aforesaid facts (ie. it works or it doesn't work).

The above is not stated to sound harsh; it's just a fact that core fans as the average TMO user and developer needs to understand that they are not who marketing is typically directed towards. We'll buy anything that speaks our language. Other folks will buy anything that they've gotten used to or is easily utilized (read: convenient).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I am suprised no one has realised that Jolla may have rushed this announcement cause of the rumor that next samsung hiend will support Android and Tizen. I hope thats not the case. But the android info of todays is to me nothing new. We have for long known that android will be supported.
Yeah it was a pretty boring press release really, extremely light on detail & nothing we didn't know.
Where is this recent development about Tizen, can you point to an article?

Now lets hope they announce the specs this week as expected.
This was the only interesting snippet of news, but it wasn't in the press release.
I hope they don't release the final specs 3mth+ before the ph begins shipping, that'd be an epic fail.
If they announce final specs this week, then the ph must be shipping by 30/11 max, ideally sooner.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I was addressing the one person that asked what's the disadvantages to having Android as noted here and not addressing the Alien Dalvik nor libhybris stuff.
He was asking about libhybris, the "android hw compatibility layer".
But your over-arching point is noted...

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I think u should not compare it with BB. Jolla is using libhybris so may very well use dalvik from upstream if its open?
But they've been partnered with Myriad since the begging to do the Dalvik implementation, you reckon they may have ditched them?

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-17 at 06:08.

many people say android lags, and sailfish uses android driver, so sailfish phone will lag as well?

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The above is not stated to sound harsh; it's just a fact that core fans as the average TMO user and developer needs to understand that they are not who marketing is typically directed towards. We'll buy anything that speaks our language. Other folks will buy anything that they've gotten used to or is easily utilized (read: convenient).
I agree fully for the first part of your statement; the people who need a device for some specific need will get it at whatever cost if ever a word leaks out that something suitable is available, even if it was manufactured in secrecy and only made available in select stores in Ulan Bator.

The second part however should actually read something like; "Other folks will buy anything that is advertised as Hip&Fashion loudly enough in trendy media", utility or convenience matters only slightly here

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The second part however should actually read something like; "Other folks will buy anything that is advertised as Hip&Fashion loudly enough in trendy media", utility or convenience matters only slightly here
That's not actually far from the truth it seems. Ever notice how the mediocre products that have an extended media reach (ie. Microsoft Windows, Apple iOS, Nintendo <insert any of their consoles) have enjoyed success whereas better, far superior products (ie. Psion, Atari, Amiga, Maemo, MeeGo) have a serious problem gaining traction due to lack of trendy marketing?

Think about it. Each and every one of us here has been pissed off about how we picked "Product B" which was point for point better than "Product A" and yet we ended up on the losing end of that equation?

Maemo was my turning point. Loved my N810, had to settle for something else. Loved my N9, looking for something to replace it. Liking BB10, already hoping that Jolla will be better than it. And despite using/developing for Android and iOS, I'd rather live outside of those ecosystems and thusly I'm placing myself outside of the typical marketing and ultimately preparing myself to be pissed off yet again.

Marketing makes the easily persuaded flock to a product. "Ooh, shiny". Watch the average response to a well crafted (sometimes it doesn't even have to be well crafted) statement or commercial. I swear it's damn near mind control.

Shiny, shiny... pretty, pretty.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
many people say android lags, and sailfish uses android driver, so sailfish phone will lag as well?
That's got nothing to do with the dvr layer...
And the root causes for it have been -mostly- mitigated nowadays.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
iianm, android UI language is the cause of the lag..

The Following User Says Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
no full spec announced today. Carry on...Max. Three days to go.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
When i had phone not supported by company(nokia N9), i wanted Android emulator as i wanted somehow to run applications . Today I don't want emulator, i want company to support it and push it on market, so there would be native apps. It's cheap move

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red