Active Topics

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
N9 stood out for being on the aggressive side when it came to RAM, I was expecting the same tradition to be upheld.
It's not asking much for the price they're asking, especially since they've compromised so hugely everywhere else.
But the N9 still was backed by the manufacturing might of Nokia, it is really difficult to get the latest and greatest if you are not a big company willing to buy the parts in monstrous batches.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
For those in love with the FM transmitter, there is an I2C module just for that. NS73M FM Transmitter Get your 3D printer out and start designing your own Other Half if you are ambitious.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
For those in love with the FM transmitter, there is an I2C module just for that. NS73M FM Transmitter Get your 3D printer out and start designing your own Other Half if you are ambitious.
I asked jolla for the other side connectors way back. I wanted to design my own back cover. But I wouldn't get my hopes up for a response....I even created a 3D printing thread.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-09-19 at 19:12.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
But the N9 still was backed by the manufacturing might of Nokia, it is really difficult to get the latest and greatest if you are not a big company willing to buy the parts in monstrous batches.

Yeah but the scope of the project was clearly being reigned in long before the device's final release, who knows how much more aggressive final specs would've been.
If not the N9, then definitely the 1-2 Harmattan devices that were long rumored to come in H1 2012, before MeeGo-proper devices came on board from H2 onwards.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-20 at 05:21. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I bit pissed that they not give info about NFC and I2C info on the english homepage

Cmon its time for Jolla to give the full specs for got sake. I mean if it has I2C is there some kind of lowlevel drivers to communicate wih OTH.

Is it master or slave mode only etc...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Exactly. And AFAIK the 1GB RAM of N9 is a bit special, it is not a chip you can buy off-the-shelf, for OMAP3 chip-on-chip configuration there is no such size commercialy available. Only sizes up to 512K.

What this means, is that Nokia specified and ordered the part directly from a chipfab and that just does not come cheap, you need massive volume plans to go through that path.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
The same "customisation" isn't necessarily a requirement for the SoC used by Jolla...

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
The same "customisation" isn't necessarily a requirement for the SoC used by Jolla...
I wouldn't be confident to say that... We have no idea which Qualcomm dual core chipset is being used hence we can't search for the limitations/possibilities... It could very well be that the chipset supports 1GB RAM at most hence they can't add to it (even though I really wish they had put 2GB RAM in there considering Harmattan at boot can use up 700MB and I don't think Sailfish would really be able to cut it dramatically)

I certainly look forward to the 60fps UI experience that was bandied about initially with 1gig of RAM and multiple applications (both emulated and native) running...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
That's why I said "isn't necessarily a requirement", he seemed to be suggesting the same limitations may be true for Jolla's SoC.
IMO it's much less likely nowadays, especially for a Qualcomm SoC, but more info. is needed 1st...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I wouldn't be confident to say that... We have no idea which Qualcomm dual core chipset is being used hence we can't search for the limitations/possibilities... ..
since Jolla mention their phone supports 4G/LTE, quite easy to narrow down which Qualcomm dualcore chipset they will use..

possible candidate of the chipset..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red