Too little, too late... but still...

GO FINLAND GO!!!!

To me, Jolla is the example of what should had been if N9 would have been supported properly (and not relegated in some basement corner of Nokia's marketing strategy).

Therefore, time will tell. Lumiaman and others should rememer the saying "Those who dig someone else's grave should pay attention not to fall in it themselves" (pardon my crappy english).

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2013-11-02 at 19:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
mmm and you think samsung, Apple, Google and LG will go forever upward? Seriously no damn way!

Do I have to remind you the history of other big companys that now is not that big anymore?
It took Apple's Multi-Billion Dollar marketing.
Plus a Multi-Billion Dollar investment (stores, R&D, IP, etc etc).
Plus several years in the making.
Plus a fresh, innovative start that was unlike anything in the market.
... .... it took all of that for Apple to become #2 and to topple off two major players, and sink down three medium players.

All I'm saying is that Apple and Google will go forever upwards, until they no longer can and a new innovative player enters the field.

Remember the PC market?
It used to be 99% Microsoft, 1% Mac, 0% Other (with a 1% margin of error)... and after decades (aka forever upwards) what do we have?
Mac on 4%, Linux on 2%, Other on 5%... and Windows covering everything else (~90%).

I'm flattered

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Everything that was ever on top, will eventually fall. Nokia (fell), Microsoft (falling), Atari (fell hard), Nintendo (slowly falling), Dell (fell - that rhymed)... so no surprises in when people reminisce over the former PC market shares.

So.. not sure what the point is in that. Rome fell, the Greeks fell, the Egyptians fell... empires rise and fall. Brands rise and fall. Not one thing is new in that cycle.

Nokita - too little, way too late. Want to disrupt things, don't go backwards, find a new way to do business and bring something new to the table. Not a damaged brand that once meant something to you a decade ago and today is not as worthy as it once was. Time to let this all go.

It'll mean nothing in 50 years. Remember Pan-Am? Remember Cray? Remember SGI? All gone or worthless now.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Yeah, if Nokita really wants to disrupt the market they should get on board with Jolla. And also hire me, together we can bring a decent iOS/Android alternative one that caters to neckbeards .

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Yeah, if Nokita really wants to disrupt the market they should get on board with Jolla. And also hire me, together we can bring a decent iOS/Android alternative one that caters to neckbeards .
Which part of "to be disruptive, don't go backwards" did you not understand? Jolla was created in 2011. It's nearly 2014 and no product yet.

I'm not knocking their intentions - they have some very forward thinking people employed and perhaps could create a mid-level disruption that makes people think otherwise. But Nokita would drag them down. Nokita needs to do their own damn thing. And do it on their own damn time. And stop thinking about what has passed. It's gone. You can't have tomorrow back.

And you can't disrupt anything if you're still using today's user consumption or yesterday's users loyalties - those change.

Since I'm being full-on honest here; you'd be a bad hire (nothing personal meant, I'd be much worse). Your predictions are all over the place, none have been persuasive to me, a very skeptical consumer. And neckbeards don't exactly make a good consumer market outside of development and new programming languages that become more and more esoteric per dev cycle. Case in point, anything Maemo. Not a blockbuster amount of sales. Nothing of the iPhone or Galaxy series type of sales.

Maemo products are all but dead. Few people clinging on to past glory but it'll all be surpassed by newer technology, needs and/or user whims and wishes.

And before Lumiaman chimes in, Microsoft ain't winning anything either. Growth due to budget devices is exactly what Nokia was doing and still not growing as fast as the market grew. It'll stall. Just watch, their growth will stall or fail in other key markets just like Nokia's did.

Which part?

The part where Jolla isn't really trying to be Yesteryear's Nokia.
Where they are trying to build their own OS, device and ecosystem... not Nokia's.

The part where I'm going with this is that if Nokita is going to join the mobile market space, they shouldn't go with Windows Phone or Android. Blackberry, WebOS is out of the question (pretty much). FirefoxOS isn't really the best choice.

So what's the alternative?
A new ecosystem. The best way to go forward is to make a fork off Android, or make a fork off desktop linux.

I'm flattered

Allow me to clarify. Nokita is stuck in Nokia's heyday when they actually tried and did new things. Those days, dead.

Nokita would drag down Jolla who is trying new things; despite them being based somewhat on MeeGo as a codebase. But that's actually a good decision since it's very optimized and efficient.

Nokita needs to do something new. They're the ones trying to relive Nokia's "glory days". They want those days, then resurrect Symbian and be done with it. They're talking about going back to Nokia heyday and using Android. Stupid, plain stupid.

What options exist? Again, be disruptive and do something new and different. Even your options are too old hat to be disruptive. WebOS - failed. BB10 - failing. Windows Phone - failing. Do something new to be disruptive.

That's it. Nothing else. Clear and simple. Nokita is not being anything new or disruptive at all.

That's the point I'm making, go back and read my post.
I'm not saying Nokita is trying to be disruptive, or that they have a good direction.

But if they do have power and money enough to bid for Nokia, then at the minimum they could help fund Jolla. A dozen new developers can help target bugs, a dozen more to implement features that should be there from day one, reputable entrepreneurs for parts/tax/business etc etc.

That's just a little that can be done.
They could outright buy Jolla, and develop the new ecosystem. That would be disruptive, as long as it's an ambitious attempt.

I'm flattered

Erm, you said "get on board with Jolla". In plain English that is inclusive and not different. State it clearly next time.