Active Topics

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Ok, my N900 didn't crash, but I have bad news.

Jessie's libc6 (the single most important package - even more important than the kernel) needs a kernel version >= 2.6.32. There is a check for the kernel version in the preinst script of the libc6 package. I adjusted that check to match Maemo's 2.6.28 but libc6 still insists on wanting at least kernel 2.6.32.

So I had a look at the libc6 sources and it seems that the package will depend at least on whatever kernel version was installed on the system it was compiled on. Since Squeeze had kernel 2.6.32 this kernel version as a libc6 dependency makes sense.

So in theory recompiling libc in a Wheezy ED image should fix this, but unfortunately Jessie's libc6 sources depend on a g++-4.7 version that is newer than the one in Wheezy and Jessie's g++-4.7 depends on a libc6 that is newer than the one in Wheezy.
So the vicious circle is complete.

I stil have hopes this dependency ring can be circumvented somehow, but as it stands now ED won't be dist-upgradeable beyond Wheezy.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Bulgaria, Varna
Hi. I have a few questions. My phone is N900. Kernel is the latest power kernel in extras.
1. Which release of ED have Iceweasel with working Flash?
2. Is there a command to see all mounted/ing points in the phone. Year ago I tried to install the ED, but on /dev/mmcblk0p4. It did not work, because I am not too familiar with the linux commands. There is dedicated partition I have made for it mmcblk0p4 with volume over 4,2G. Now I have come back to the idea to try and install it manually on /dev/mmcblk0p4, but first I would like to check what mountings I have done yaer ago. I can see the following existing folders, but are they mounted to something etc.
/home/user/EasyDeb
/media/ed
/mnt/debian
Please, help me to identify the mounting points first.
Then I will ask for guide how to install manually ED if the img (already unlzma-ed file) is placed in folder /home/user/MyDocs/tmp
Thank you

Originally Posted by Darkice View Post
1. Which release of ED have Iceweasel with working Flash?
None.
Adobe's flash plugin is only available for x86_32 and x86_64 (standard PC architectures). The N900 has an ARM CPU and therefore the ED images use the armel architecture. There is no reasonable way to get any x86 software running on the N900 if it has the slightest performance requirements.

2. Is there a command to see all mounted/ing points in the phone.
The command is:
Code:
mount
I can see the following existing folders, but are they mounted to something etc.
/home/user/EasyDeb
/media/ed
/mnt/debian
These ARE the mount points. mount will tell you something like this:
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /home
Which means that the 2nd partition of your emmc device is mounted on /home.

If you want to see all the available storage devices even if they are not mounted you can run:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Probably a silly question, but... Would installing the flash plugin that we know and love from Maemo work in Iceweasel if we installed it in ED? I suppose I could try but don't have ED installed right now, after yet another reflash.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
First - Thank you for the help.
I have checked and no remaining mountings from the first attempt. I have used umount to undo what I have done year ago.
The reason I was asking for Firefox with flash is because I would like to install on it my personal bank certificates and to deal with my account. On first tought I decided the site is flash based, but maybe I am wrong.
Why I need this - because I have installed the certificates on Maemo. MicroB is able to start secured https. But once I need to make bank transfer and it has to be signed it should appear smaller window to ask me to enter the pass of the certificate. But the appearing window is partially seen and I am unable to do the operation. Therefore I am looking for alternative way to deal with this.
In any case I will try with ED to see if it will do the job. Just to ask if Iseweasel has the same ability as Firefox. I mean to put master password and to install certificates in it.
And why there is images with notes as "Browser with working flash ...etc". Seems I am asking quastions with unclear meaning. I was asking for such a image.
Now ... I have placed the ed-squeeze-final.ext3 in folder /home/user/MyDocs/tmp
I have created the following folder /mnt/debian to use it and to mount on it the 4G partition mmcblk0p4
The folder /media/ed is created to mount the image.
Then the sequence should be:
mount -o loop /home/user/MyDocs/tmp/ed-squeeze-final.ext3 /media/ed
mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 /mnt/debian
cp -a /media/ed/* /mnt/debian/

After that I have to edit .chroot directing to /dev/mmcblk0p4
Am I on the right way?

P.S. After some reading here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2821 I have decided to use debian-wheezy-sulu-Sci.img.ext2 image. Then I just need to change the names of the above written command lines and that is all.
Please, take a look to the 3 lines and if they are correct I will execute them to implement ED.

Last edited by Darkice; 2013-11-22 at 21:55. Reason: Adding info

It says "mounting /dev/loop0 on /media/ed failed: Invalid argument

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Do you have the /media/ed directory? I know you said you do but please check for spelling and permissions (is the owner root?).

I would personally not mount anything under /media manually myself, that's udev's domain. I would mount it under /mnt or even /tmp. But that's just my paranoia, I have no real arguments why that should not work.

Otherwise your method looks OK (read: exactly what I would have done). But you may expereince the device rebooting halfway through the copying due to cp taking too much CPU time and the watchdog kicking in (trust me, it has happened to me). You can eliminate that by reducing the cp priority with nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Probably a silly question, but... Would installing the flash plugin that we know and love from Maemo work in Iceweasel if we installed it in ED?
Afaik Maemo's flash relies on GPU acceleration. At least that's the only way I can imagine how it's able to play videos.
GPU acceleration is not available in ED, and never will be unless we get a Free (as in speech) PowerVR driver, which I expect to happen the day after hell has frozen over.

The reason I was asking for Firefox with flash is because I would like to install on it my personal bank certificates and to deal with my account. On first tought I decided the site is flash based, but maybe I am wrong.
If you don't want flash to watch videos then performance might not be that important.
In that case you could try the Debian package browser-plugin-gnash [1]. I guess that's what's installed in ED images that claim to have Flash working. It might or might not work for your task.

Just to ask if Iseweasel has the same ability as Firefox. I mean to put master password and to install certificates in it.
Basically yes, Iceweasel has the same functionality as the corresponding Firefox version.

Now ... I have placed the ed-squeeze-final.ext3 in folder /home/user/MyDocs/tmp
I have created the following folder /mnt/debian to use it and to mount on it the 4G partition mmcblk0p4
The folder /media/ed is created to mount the image.
Then the sequence should be:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 /mnt/debian
cp -a /media/ed/* /mnt/debian/
Up to this point it looks right.

After that I have to edit .chroot directing to /dev/mmcblk0p4
Am I on the right way?
I've never actually used ED from a partition, only from image files. But I think you have to specify the mount point, not the device name. If I'm right it should be /mnt/debian instead of /dev/mmcblk0p4.
edit: Nope, I think /dev/mmcblk0p4 is correct because when you use image files you also specify the image file name, not its mount point.

P.S. After some reading here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2821 I have decided to use debian-wheezy-sulu-Sci.img.ext2 image. Then I just need to change the names of the above written command lines and that is all.
Yes, changing the image name is the only thing that has to be done.
btw: Please note that although this image is based on one of my images, it was not created by me, and I never had a look at it. So I won't be able to answer any image-specific questions.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But you may expereince the device rebooting halfway through the copying due to cp taking too much CPU time and the watchdog kicking in (trust me, it has happened to me). You can eliminate that by reducing the cp priority with nice.
That's a very good point! However, I found out that sometimes even nice -n 19 is not enough, because although the process that stresses the CPU is niced it may still create enough I/O to block the emmc/µSD in which case the watchdog might still kick in because some other process that is not niced stresses the CPU while desperately trying to read or write its data.
Therefore I usually use ionice as well, so that lots of my commands look like this:
Code:
nice -n 19  ionice -c 3 <command>

[1] http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/browser-plugin-gnash

Last edited by sulu; 2013-11-22 at 23:21.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Your image is not a valid image file (maybe no file system or just some file).
Most probably corrupted download?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Is it possible that /dev/mmcblk0p4 is not formatted properly as file system? I mean I have separated it as partition, but that is all. Is system by itself is doing the formatting when you make splitting. I have done the splitting via ubuntu Gpated. While I am waiting your opinion I will try to find md5 sums of the dowloaded archive to check if there is error.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze