Active Topics

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
my FAT formatted SD card that I had used (and filled ) on N900 before is mounted read only on my Jolla.
What can I do to change that behavior?
Jolla should mount a FAT disk without problems. Have you rebooted Jolla and have you checked that it's really mounted read-only? Maybe there is a problem with ownership.

There will not be a 2nd phone in 2014, I hope this is obvious to everyone.

The Following User Says Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by b.cloanta View Post
Does anyone know where I can find the ringtones folder, to put my ringtones in it .
I just created a ringtones folder inside the Music. From settings you can then see all your ringtones and other music files.

The Following User Says Thank You to rannari For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Bruxelles
Originally Posted by rannari View Post
I just created a ringtones folder inside the Music. From settings you can then see all your ringtones and other music files.
Thanks, but when i did that, ringtones are seen in the Media, and i don't want to have them in the music player

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
There are plenty of stuff that need to get fixed in the sailfishos first. I really don't think they work on a second phone atm.

If people want more HW you better hope there is a bigger player who release a sailfish based phone.

Jolla had to focus on SW now not yet another phone.

I am sure the SW would had been alot more stable if they didn't have to change SoC end of 2012.. Debugging HW takes resources...
Why play dumb? You always argue to create discord but I don't believe you sincerely mean that's the real world scenario.

Of course they are working on a new phone to be released at some point in the future. How could they ever create market traction if they're not pushing out new products to the market? They're not even covering their best fundamented market segment yet. The developers and expert users you find in this forum for instance; most everyone on this site expect and will be more tempted by higher end hardware at an higher price.

Nokia had the old "New Phone = New GUI version" strategy, and if you buy a phone with Windows, you should expect that to be the OS major version you'll ever have. However, if you buy a Iphone, Nexus or Jolla phone, you'll expect to be able to keep the OS current. The OS is made to be updated continuously.

Can't talk for Jolla specifically, but generally software developers and hardware designers aren't the same people. It's not the same resource pool. There will be some that leave OS development to work on drivers etc, and sure, each hardware release demands some work hours to adjust the OS to the new hardware, but I don't see any reason that they will stop improving the OS just because some other people, maybe not even from the same company staff, are prototyping the next gen hardware. The OS is what sell their products, they will have dedicated resources for that. It's their products that people buy, the OS is as dead as Maemo without products.They will have dedicated resources for that, too. No matter how small an organization, they have to do both.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Jolla should mount a FAT disk without problems. Have you rebooted Jolla and have you checked that it's really mounted read-only? Maybe there is a problem with ownership.
I have tried rebooting several times since.

When I try to copy something onto the SD card or delete a file from it using fingerterm, it tells me "File system is only readable" (translated from German).

Code:
 mount
also delivers a line for sdcard that includes parameter "ro".

There is an additional flag
Code:
errors=remount-ro
I suppse that there was some kind of error and now it is being remounted read-only - but I don't know how to specify.

Of course I could wipe the whole card, reformat and try to refill with all the files that were previously on it, but if possible, I'd like to find an "easier" way...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Why play dumb? You always argue to create discord but I don't believe you sincerely mean that's the real world scenario.

Can't talk for Jolla specifically, but generally software developers and hardware designers aren't the same people. It's not the same resource pool.[/B]
Yes thats the case in big cooperation. But Jolla is small company thats big difference.

Again I just repeat what I already said. You better wait for bigger players to license SailfishOS.

The reality is money. if you want to see a second phone they need a big player onboard. Actually they really need to make more operators onboard on current phone if they had to survive even with one phone is my guess...

And it may happen or may not depend on how Jolla get attention now. But they can't do a second device themselfs I really doubt....

Its reality of business where big players eating the small. Whatever we like it or not...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-01-06 at 16:58.

about the second Jolla Phone right from the horses mouth, article and interview from 13.11.2013:

Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/digi/art-1288620478264.html

"- Suunnittelemme silti päivittävämme laitteistoa ensi vuoden toisella puoliskolla, jotta pysymme mukana rautapuolen kilpailussa, Saarnio kertaa."

Rough translation: We´re nevertheless planning to update the hardware during the second half of next year to keep us in the hardware competition, Saarnio concludes.

Before that he says that TOH gives the device a bit longer shelf life than normal phones, hence the "nevertheless".

"Saarnion mukaan yhtiö aikoo julkaista joka kuukausi uuden version Sailfish-käyttöjärjestelmästään. "

They´re planning to update a new version of Sailfish every month.
This might also mean the current phone is "just" updated with new hardware. Not a real new Phone per se - my finish lacks there

Last edited by RX-51; 2014-01-06 at 17:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
Of course I could wipe the whole card, reformat and try to refill with all the files that were previously on it, but if possible, I'd like to find an "easier" way...
You could maybe first unmount the card and then mount it again manually to see what kind of error messages you get.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
You could maybe first unmount the card and then mount it again manually to see what kind of error messages you get.
After unmounting you should do a fsck on the partition, that can help to fix the problem. You need developer mode terminal to do it, and you can use the internal jolla mount-sd.sh command to do it right.

open terminal.
type
Code:
 devel-su
 enter password
 ACTION=""; . /usr/sbin/mount-sd.sh
 fsck /dev/mmcblk1p1
 ACTION="add"; . /usr/sbin/mount-sd.sh
 exit
Empty ACTION is for unmount.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience