Active Topics

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
many people told me is not safe nor suggested, can be issues with repos, and you will need to flash suddenly...do you know a safe way?

I can't imagine a way this could go wrong.

What could be the reason why my phone isn't picking up the latest update? I'm currently on CSSU Testing T7.3 and I'm not being prompted to update to T9 when I update my repos through HAM. I'm able to install/uninstall applications just fine, I'm just not being prompted to update.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
[...]

cssu's battery applet reports *absurd* values as battery max capacity, and for worse, it does so on purpose. It require some explaining, so bear with me:

Probably most of you are aware of the 3th pin of the battery, dubbed "BMI pin". There is a resistor between it and ground pin, which in theory, should provide information about "design capacity" of the battery - i.e. capacity battery should have, when new. It is *not* any form of measurement - it's just "hardcoded" by placing dumb resistor there, of set resistance value. Every value from reserved range is interpreted as some capacity.

The thing is, that no one - except Nokia - cares about that, and every 3rd party battery manufacturer in existence put there a random resistor of ~100kOhm value. Nor should they care, as it's dumbest way of giving *any* info about battery capacity - it doesn't compensate for battery aging, changes with temperature (as resistance changes), and overall, is completely and utterly useless. Heck, even Nokia doesn't seem to care much, as for batches of they upgraded BL-5J design, the sometimes correctly state ~1400 mAh, and sometimes, use same resistor as from older, 1300 mAh.
---

Now, back to battery applet - for some completely crazy reasons, Pali insisted on taking *this* info for applet's info about battery's max capacity. It is *worst* place to get that info - you could, as good, cat a /dev/urandom. Data used should be from bq27x0 chipset, and only from there.

At the same time, current capacity *is* pulled form bq27x00 (in case of someone, like me, using kernel-power and bme replacement), so it ends up in humorous, but completely crap'ish results. for example, currently, battery meter show that I have
Code:
3300 mAh/1136 mAh
...because current capacity is real (I'm using dual-scud battery), and max-capacity is taken from *** that resistor "hardcoded" value.

[...]
And as I guess, one cannot specify the source (bq27x00, bmi, or static override via config file - it would be a workaround)?

I expierienced this silly 1214/1170 mAh too.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

With stock bme, new applet seems to use last_full, not design capacity. I have a 10 cycles.old BL-5J, design capacity 1415, bq27200 calibrated capacity of 1515, and bme last_full of 1215.

We all knew the mAh values reported by bme are more or less made up. The applet seems to report different percentage values than bme. bme will happily report a percentage that arithmetically doesnt add up with reporting.current/last_full or /design... For compatibility with old applet, using the percentage value reported by bme would probably make more sense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Could it be possible (in the future) to enable a battery low warning, as in stock, with 5% in the new applet?

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
And as I guess, one cannot specify the source (bq27x00, bmi, or static override via config file - it would be a workaround)?

I expierienced this silly 1214/1170 mAh too.
Sadly, no. I proposed it too something about half year ago, but... Eh.

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
With stock bme, new applet seems to use last_full, not design capacity. I have a 10 cycles.old BL-5J, design capacity 1415, bq27200 calibrated capacity of 1515, and bme last_full of 1215.

We all knew the mAh values reported by bme are more or less made up. The applet seems to report different percentage values than bme. bme will happily report a percentage that arithmetically doesnt add up with reporting.current/last_full or /design... For compatibility with old applet, using the percentage value reported by bme would probably make more sense.
I religiously agree BUT, we should also consider BME replacement users (AIUI, BME replacement as basic thing for CSSU is a long-term goal - frankly, even now it's more stable than some parts of CSSU), so making it configurable - with defaults as you proposed - would be best thing.

I don't care if config would be obscure gconf entry, or some file in the end of filesystem's universe, as long as I'm not forced to use certain values, just because applet detected something. A compromise defaults are OK, but lets make it configurable too and problem solved - we need less hardcoded things, not more.

Easier things said than done - although it's one-liner in code, convincing Pali is another thing. Even fact, that 100% of his bme-repl beta testers switched to kerio's "fork", wasn't enough to suggest that he may be wrong on this one. Even leaving any reasoning attempts aside

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-01-04 at 23:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
@Estel: there is already (for a long time) gconf key for specifing source of design capacity... By default it is from bq27200 and if battery is not calibrated it fallback to rx51_battery... If there is bug in that gconf key or somewhere else, you can report it. But I think that your problem has been already resolved by introducing gconf key for specifing source.

@merlin1991: Do you know, why are libqt4-meegographicssystem and libqt4-meegographicssystemhelper packages required in CSSU metapackage?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
@Estel: there is already (for a long time) gconf key for specifing source of design capacity... By default it is from bq27200 and if battery is not calibrated it fallback to rx51_battery... If there is bug in that gconf key or somewhere else, you can report it. But I think that your problem has been already resolved by introducing gconf key for specifing source.

@merlin1991: Do you know, why are libqt4-meegographicssystem and libqt4-meegographicssystemhelper packages required in CSSU metapackage?
They shouldn't be pointed by the metapackage, as only some special applications may need it...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Ugh. If that is the case, then take my apologies, and I'll gladly stuff myself with my last post and eat it, alongside my left shoe.

BUT, I definitely have calibrated battery *and* bq27x00_battery module present&working, still, my "design capacity" is, by default, some rx51_battery nonsense.

I would love to report a bug, but before I'll do that, I want to test it myself in all possible ways - i.e., if that bug manifest itself if I edit said gconf key and revert it, etc. So, "stupid question" mode ON - where I can find documentation about such thing (aka, where the heck said gconf key is, and other things)?

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing