Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
@pichlo: I know there is a thanks button but you're a trooper....
Exactly!
This post should be referenced in OP (any mod, please do so?).
It may help ppl lk spdnwill, but also others having fbcon enabled (like me ).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Guys, I am blushing!
Please ping me if it does indeed get linked from the OP: I will need to edit out my comments directed to speedonwilliam as those would be inappropriate out of context.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
My N900 was borked last night through relying on BackupMenu.

I have about 5 backups and went to restore the original in order to try and isolate a battery drain problem I have.

I selected both RootFS and OptFS (both tar'd) but I did not see RootFS installed. OptFS took about 8 mins.

Through BackupMenu's reset, N900 went into boot loop. Upon normal reset, blue indicator light stays on, doesn't get past Nokia logo, dies after a time out.

BackupMenu still works slightly. The screen doesn't update properly in the boot menu but I can get to the main BackupMenu menu after a couple of file not found errors. After about 10s, the N900 switches off.
I think I've tried all the options anyway. Restoring says "Cannot mount the eMMC". FSCK can't copy the files needed.

USB is loose but I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas before trying to solder things smaller than pinheads...

Originally Posted by _David_ View Post
My N900 was borked last night through relying on BackupMenu.
That can happen if your kernel versions don't match. Happened to me too: I ended up having to reflash, make sure I installed a matching kernel, and then restore with BackupMenu.

You may be in a spot of bother if your USB port is broken. You can look for example here and here to see what you can do. In fact the whole thread might be useful.

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-03-11 at 12:53. Reason: Added more links

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ FrozenOver
my n900 is getting stuck on chroot I have 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo9.1+thumb0 with backupmenu 1.2.0-1 installed.
do I need to downgrade my initrd-progs? or upgrade backupmenu to latest devel package? both?

well I downgraded initrd-progs and backupmenu worked again.
after restoring rootfs I have 74.1m free space on rootfs vs 88.5m free on system I made backup of what gives? I have seen something regarding post 571 to 579 about compression and taking up less space ?

Last edited by mrapathy; 2014-04-10 at 06:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrapathy For This Useful Post:
There is a manual fix for BackupMenu described somewhere earlier in this thread to make it work with the latest initrd-progs. It has not made its way to extras-devel yet AFAIK.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There is a manual fix for BackupMenu described somewhere earlier in this thread to make it work with the latest initrd-progs. It has not made its way to extras-devel yet AFAIK.
You are getting old Pichlo
Some great guy already uploaded it to extras-devel, and you even thanked him for that : http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1257

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
You are getting old Pichlo
Just getting? Thanks for the compliment

EDIT: I even see my thanks on that psot. I really need some memory refresh treatment.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
went back and read if I got this correct the backupmenu 1.2.0-2 in cssu extra devel is updated to work. correct me if I am wrong.

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...pmenu/1.2.0-2/

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d....2.0-2_all.deb
it works though I am wondering if anybody knows why when I restored a backup to my second system I had less free space in rootfs.
I used compressed tarballs of rootfs and optfs instead of regular tarballs.

Last edited by mrapathy; 2014-04-10 at 09:53.

Is anyone maintaining backupmenu anymore?
one thing I would like added is maybe md5sum check of tar ball generated and send the tarball to MyDocs first if space is available then microsd checking the md5sum to see if they match.

had a problem with some crappy microsd cards recently, worked fine at first but somehow went bad. took me while to catch on but I managed to brick my latest n900 3-4 times and had lots of fun flashing them to run again.

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system