Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mony123 View Post
thanks guys for the advice... i shouldn't copy others but be myself...
maybe that's a good life skill
that device is only valid if you are using a device with screen 6+ inches or a device with slider keyboard. If You are not its time to follow...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Ya man
It's not about how big your screen-size is...
It's how you use it

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
the same n900 has been my daily mobile since 2010 and still is

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ California
I'm kind of clumsy so i've gone through 2 N900's due to water damage. But for the current price that you can snag one on ebay. It can do anything any modern device can do and more. I don't want to drop the price of a used car on a phone. So I'll stick with these little treasures Nokia abandoned. It is absolutely worth getting one in 2014.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
I have gone through five N900's over the years (bought my first one the day after they released it). The first one died due to the USB port falling out, but all the rest died because the modem-chip gave up. Once an N900 displays the "All telephony functions, including emergency calls, are disabled due to a communication error. To recover, you might have to reboot the device."-error message, you likely have lost your phone. I never was able to figure out what made it happen :-(

It still works with WLAN, and I still have one live at home as a small server and for the excellent "Evil Alarm" app that is the best thing to get me up in the morning :-).

I would say the Jolla is just as good for tinkering as the N900, and with much better hardware (though still just mediocre by modern standards). It seems clear that the Jolla is the best tinkerer's phone sold new today, but if it hadn't come out I would have bought another used N900 when my latest one died!

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Russia
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
I have gone through five N900's over the years (bought my first one the day after they released it). The first one died due to the USB port falling out, but all the rest died because the modem-chip gave up. Once an N900 displays the "All telephony functions, including emergency calls, are disabled due to a communication error. To recover, you might have to reboot the device."-error message, you likely have lost your phone. I never was able to figure out what made it happen :-(
Take a look. With this solution, I have only second phone (since 2010), and it still works.

Posts: 1,237 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
switching back to my N900 today after using Android device for about 3 months as my N900's usb port broke. repaired it few days ago and updated it to latest CSSU-Thumb and transferring all my stuff to use it again as my daily device.

And yes N900 totally worth buying even today.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
It still works with WLAN, and I still have one live at home as a small server and for the excellent "Evil Alarm" app that is the best thing to get me up in the morning :-).
Out of interest, what sort of server? I have a similarly knackered n900 that I'd like to find a suitable use for.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

I have bought Nokia N900 few months ago. I switched from Android.
I am really very very happy with my new Nokia N900. It's a great experience! OpenVPN, encrypted email, chroot, Tor, I2P, FM transmitter, ssh, NORMAL keyboard!!! The only thing it can't do is Minecraft

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Out of interest, what sort of server? I have a similarly knackered n900 that I'd like to find a suitable use for.
Nothing in particular, I have an ssh-port to the N900 forwarded through my external NAT, and then forward other ports over ssh as needed, so its just a generic small and fan-less always-on Linux server for personal use. I have a 32GB microSD in it, so it does have some storage there too.