Active Topics

A couple of things. This is really cool. However, please remember to
Code:
chmod +x
Being an essential binary we really something to checksum this against.

At least test by bashing into bash after you install it.

I forgot to make this executable and had to boot into rescueos to fix.

Also, last thing is if, and I aren't %100 sure about this, it seems to work best in installed into /bin rather than /usr/bin. Reason being if you use the special three finger shortcut (shift-ctrl-x) for the X-terminal it seems to crash the phone

Last edited by independent; 2014-10-09 at 04:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to independent For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
upload to extras-devel?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by independent View Post
I forgot to make this executable and had to boot into rescueos to fix.
Are you using /bin/sh = /bin/bash or what? AFAIK this has never worked with Maemo.
If your using bash as your user shell (in /etc/passwd) then I *suppose* that it should work, but I haven't tried it. I actually don't need or use bash on the N900. The version I've posted is for those who feel the need to have the latest and/or for those who are actually affected by the shellshock vulnerability (i.e. nobody .

Re. extras-devel. Not me. I once tried to get something there and had to request and account who-knows-where (garage or whatever) and heard nothing ever since. For all I care, the maemo repositories are static and read-only. If I need something that is not there I'll just do it myself and (if I'm nice) post the binary here.

I still don't know if it's a problem of time, money or politics, but something tells me we (if there's a we, a community) should have a repository and a forum and a wiki completely independent of anything we've had in the past. I don't know why we need this "garage" or anything owned/damaged by Nokia or or or.

But anyway, this is off-topic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
That's actually an excellent idea. Self-maintained garage. One less job for the Council to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Re. extras-devel. Not me. I once tried to get something there and had to request and account who-knows-where (garage or whatever) and heard nothing ever since....
Reinob, your contribution is welcome and precious for this community.
Every contribution is welcome!
I don't know which was the problem with garage the last time you tried, but i think that we (techstaff) can help you if something goes wrong at first.

garage - builder - extras is a complex env that i would not define "perfect", most of times, when something goes wrong, it's not about politics but it's something that we can cure with a chown or chmod.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by xes View Post
I don't know which was the problem with garage the last time you tried, but i think that we (techstaff) can help you if something goes wrong at first.
While you're at it, please make it possible to log into the wiki with the forum account or similar.

Currently I get this:
Login error
There is no user by the name "sulu". Check your spelling.
And I see no obvious way to create an account for the wiki.

I guess my garage account would work if I had one. But garage requires me to specify my full name. I won't give my real name here and I see no point in making one up. So whenever I wan't to edit the wiki I do it as an IP, which in turn requires me to use TOR or some other obfuscation technique because I don't like to have my IP on show for everyone.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
@sulu
afaik you can create a garage account also without specifing exactly you personal details. I can understand that someone may have real reasons to avoid to expose these details.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by xes View Post
OK, I checked. I do have an account in garage, but I once requested upload priviledges (I think it was for rsync), and never got a response.

I used this form: https://garage.maemo.org/extras-assi...tation_request

I have sent another request just now concerning rsync, bash and ngp. As time goes (and if this works reasonably well without wasting a lot of time) I might upload other stuff (like a working nano, newer openssh, etc.)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
So whenever I wan't to edit the wiki I do it as an IP, which in turn requires me to use TOR
Good luck with that. In an attempt to prevent spam, tech staff have put an aggressive block on both the wiki and bug tracker on IP addresses known malicious activity and these include Tor IP addresses.

I expressed my concerns this thread but they seem to have fallen on deaf ears. Oh well, now I just take it as if the wiki is a non-existent resource.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Are you using /bin/sh = /bin/bash or what? AFAIK this has never worked with Maemo.
If your using bash as your user shell (in /etc/passwd) then I *suppose* that it should work, but I haven't tried it. I actually don't need or use bash on the N900.
A couple of silly mistakes no doubt. Presented for all to see.
No symlink from bash -> sh. Changed to bash in /etc/passwd for user and root.

Last edited by independent; 2014-10-09 at 18:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to independent For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, shellshock