Active Topics

I am looking for a new maps program fore the N900 that has offline map downloading (not just caching but proper "download everything for this area over this high-speed DSL link and only download new stuff if its changed" ala Nokia Maps) without needing to manually input specific coordinates/sizes for the map (I want it to know what "Australia" or "Brisbane" is and download it for me, just like Nokia Maps does). Google Transit GTFS data set support would be awesome (i.e. being able to display bus stops etc on the map and see all the services going from those stops and when) as would a nice sane address/location/poi search. Don't need turn-by-turn or voice navigation since I dont drive a car

Does such a maps program for the N900 exist?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Modrana is the best current map program.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swordfish II For This Useful Post:
Agreed. ModRana should cover what you need, + much more, if need arises. Apart from (temporal, I hope) stability problems, it perfect program. And, apart form tile maps that it support since stone age, it's getting closer for supporting public domain vector map projects, too!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
yes modrana ! Though its not simple (kid friendly)like nokia maps but it got all and more and constantly improving lately its going 3d ala vector maps ! The only thing i miss in modrana

As martink said much of the roadblocker is unavailiblity of full qt5 on n900 and that is expected to happen sometime
So cheers !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I liked Marble and it allows offline routing using Monav routing demon using openstreetmap data. The routing data can be downloaded by country (or state in US). However, the visible bitmap (tile) data still needs to be downloaded other ways.

Not sure if Marble is still maintainded... I haven't used it for couple years since our cars have now built in navigation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick message...

I like using Modrana, it is well-done, but (on principle) I dislike having too many software layers (such as Python, non-GTK GUI, and such). Besides, vector data is so much more usable for maps (tiles are best left for satellite-aerial images).

Hence, I am considering trying out Navit and Marble. Marble is good because it has GTK-based interface, offline routing and can display planet as globe, not just flat map. Navit is good because it has vector data-rendering, offline routing and GTK GUI, and is highly configurable (even 3D view?).

I am quite tired of having:
1. mixed GUIs (GTK, Qt, Python, QML, et cetera);
2. map as raster data (when it is vector data); raster should only be used for aerial and such.

Best wishes.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Marble is good because it has GTK-based interface
Then marble is not good, because it actually uses Qt
BTW Marble is even part of KDE.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I liked Marble and it allows offline routing using Monav routing demon using openstreetmap data. The routing data can be downloaded by country (or state in US). However, the visible bitmap (tile) data still needs to be downloaded other ways.

Not sure if Marble is still maintainded... I haven't used it for couple years since our cars have now built in navigation.
Marble is maintained for desktop, but the person who stood up too take over as maemo maintiner for ver 1.5.5-1 hasn't been heard from for a while; I've tried raising him on the marble thread and by PM, but no response. Looking at his profile, he's not been on tmo since April. It's a shame, because upstream marble has apparently included the Cyclestreets.net routing I asked for, which would be incredibly handy to get onto my handlebars.

Alas, I lack the skill to take over the package and the time to learn how, not to mention the equipment on which to recompile and package the software for Fremantle. If anyone could take it up...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick message...

I like using Modrana, it is well-done, but (on principle) I dislike having too many software layers (such as Python, non-GTK GUI, and such).
actually, ModRana have a GTK/Python GUI. The alternate QML GUI is quite proof-of-concept only, not really daily usable.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
actually, ModRana have a GTK/Python GUI. The alternate QML GUI is quite proof-of-concept only, not really daily usable.

/Estel
Quick reply...

So, the default Modrana's GUI is GTK/Python? Still, it looks much different from other GTK apps, in both shape and colour. Not using system-wide GTK themes, as far as I remember?

Yes, Marble's GUI is Qt4 :-/ . Still, it looked a tiny bit similar to GTK-based apps.

Navit it is, for future testing.

Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: