Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
After 20 years I finally got enlightened!
Loool, thats what i mean with translation blobs, you made my day

After playing the limited level shareware for frickin 3 years, I actually bought the games last original boxed instance in 1998 and got the original manual with all characters explained!
Else i would have died dumb. its unrecognizable without reading it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ China
2015-07-14 version - Belle
Fixed move-left and move-right buttons mouse move event.
Fixed desktop name to "Wolfenstein 3D". Thanks mosen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karin_Zhao For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
no problem at all! It is german.
The name Wolfenstein should sound like a typicall german name for a historical castle as the original game was called "Castle Wolfenstein". It literally would mean "Stone of the Wolfs". As id-softs john cormac, who invented the game in 1992, is american and did not consult native germans to help him with translation, there are many hilarious blobs in the game. The most obvious beeing every killed soldier shouting "Mein Leben" -> "my life" loool. Apearing SS villans shout "Schutzstaffel" -> "protection Squad" which would be correct (Schutzstaffel means SS) if not pronounced like "Hüübabbel" -> "*makes no sense at allll*"...
Aaaaah, those where the early days, thanks for bringing back childhood memories!
Wolf 3D wasn't a new invention in '92, but a reinterpretation of the Castle Wollfenstein top-down dungeon/maze series from a decade earlier. I had a C=64/Apple][ version of it on "flippy" disk. I suppose that the Id software team can be blamed for the mock-German voices from the 3D version, but since it obviously couldn't be distributed as designed in the German-speaking world with the Nazi imagery, it probably wasn't a real problem from their perspective.

And big thanks to karin_zhao for this touchscreen port. I'm not very good and using the onscreen controls, but I did get through level one without being killed to death.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Wolf 3D wasn't a new invention in '92, but a reinterpretation of the Castle Wollfenstein top-down dungeon/maze series from a decade earlier. I had a C=64/Apple][ version of it on "flippy" disk...
Right.
Apple 2e (school 198x)
DOS2 (or 3?)

insert DOS floppy (5,25)
boot OS
swap floppy to Wolf
load/run game
swap floppy to DOS
and always be prepared to reset when teacher enters

(possibly still have them anywhere )

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
kudos to you @peterleinchen and @robthebold!
I stuck the whole 80s on dads scrapped VC20 and had happy basic sessions...lol. I actually formost bought a ~1993 PC because it was the only known way for me to have Wolfenstein back then
Thanks for the class!