Active Topics

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
I have replaced my N900 exactly a year ago since its eMMC stopped working. This was my second N900 with the same problem, the first one still works using MicroSD as part of the system (the phone also has a 256 MB primary storage which still works).

The second one still could be waken up the same way, however, it also had other problems like loosing SIM connection sometimes.
I had two main problems at last - slow CPU and few RAM, the latter is only 256MB altogether.
It was not really able to cope with modern web pages.

However, I remember a few years ago we were presenting a new system which were still under development running at a private computer somewhere else. The computer was connected to a UPS, but it did not work and a power outage restarted the whole system two times during the presentation. Fortunately, I could use my N900 to get everything to work again not leaving us in trouble. Today's phones without a landscape querty keyboard are completely unusable in such situations.
That's exactly where Maemo 5 and the N900 excel. See them as the old laptops used in the ISS: you don't want something bleeding edge there, but you want something that works in most cases because it uses generic stuff, reliable because the technology is robust and well tested, and behaves the way you want it to behave. In many ways, except of course from its size, the N900 feels like a micro computer more than a mobile phone with some computer specs.

The N900 is way too slow for nowadays standards, let alone the outdated browser and the lack of applications for public or private companies. Yet, it still shines for its keyboard, compact form factor, stylus, quality resistive screen, and other gadgets (RGB LED, FM, stereo, etc.). And most of all, it features an OS that does not work as if it was locked down to a category of devices on which one should prefer specific applications for specific services. You need to do something Unix can do? Odds are good that the N900 might be able to do it with no applications. Android in its deep Linux roots could probably do it too, but odds are good that the feature is locked.

I cannot say that I would use my N900 for daily use because besides the lack of HWKB/stylus, I am happy with Sailfish and the Android compatibility. However, I wish all companies would still offer their services as if they didn't assume everyone has the same OS. They didn't do it 10 or 15 years ago, while they do assume you have Android or iOS now, pretty much as if it was mandatory like a bank account. And they are right in most cases, but this totally changes the way they offer their services because they serve only the monopolistic OSes, which causes issues. Often, bank applications could just use websites with the same features, but the paradigm is to embed every single service in its own application now. We need Android or iOS to take the bus, the train, pay for parking, or even interact, and sometimes there are no website alternative (some services are not even available for a regular computer). Unfortunately, this is a rather restrictive idea of what an OS ecosystem should be: instead of promoting additional features, it just starves everything else because we now need a specific OS to do stuff that used to be generic. And since they often lock their APIs or their code, even the good will of a third-party developer is useless.

Let's hope this can change progressively thanks to PostmarketOS, Maemo-Leste, Sailfish, Librem, and most of all the rising public concern (in some communities or countries only, so far) about privacy, freedom and ever-growing GAFAs. The hope is thin, but that's still something, and I can safely say that I would be happy if mobile OSes in the future could become just a variety of tools to achieve similar goals, instead of prerequisites pre-selected by market monopoles to fulfill basic needs like public transportation.

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Instead of replying "Thanks", why not (also) use the "Thanks!" button?
I use this button often, just forgot this time. However, there, I was trying to be polite and wanted to show that I was grateful, instead of not taking the time to reply. Won't do it again I guess. :<

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-08-27 at 20:22.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
You make good points, yet...

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
We need Android or iOS to take the bus, the train, pay for parking[...]
I suppose it depends on the country, but at the very least in France, we don't need those phagocytizing OSes to do all those.
Sure, it's more convenient to have them, but it's not mandatory (yet ? ).
I can manage those just fine with my credit card, and you can be sure I'm intent on doing so for the foreseeable future.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
I know, crossing fingers for it to stay like that. As I said, in some cases, there are no alternatives. Fortunately, it still is not the norm in France.

However, I was in a town in Norway for some years, and I either had to have Android to pay for the bus or go in the very few allowed stores (I knew only two in the whole 70k-inhabitant city; very convenient when the point is to buy tickets to get around) with restricted opening hours to buy paper tickets at twice the price. No tickets sold in the bus, company policy. I guess it's for security reasons, but Norway is one of the safest countries in the world and it's not just because bus drivers have no cash on them.

For parkings, I never found a way to pay without the application of the private company operating all parking lots in the town (including road sides) or another compatible Android application. And there was not a single free parking spot in the town, town policy.

I also have two accounts in neobanks based in Germany and France. None of them can be used without an Android smartphone. Sure, you shouldn't be able to open an account if you don't have such a phone in the first place (which is admittedly very questionable already), but then they keep updating their apps over time, and with it the API requirement. With N26, the German one, I could open the account, but one year later, Android 4.4 (restricted by my Alien Dalvik version) was not compatible anymore. Not even a warning some days/weeks before the update. Couldn't do anything. Not even a bank wire to get the money that was still on my account; they have a website, but every operation needs to be confirmed on the phone. Their customer service refused to help, said it is not safe to bypass their restrictions and they don't even have the tools to do so. They told me I just have to update my OS, that I must have received a notification to download it, as if all Android devices get all Android updates. In the end, I used a friend's device, paired it to my bank account, and transferred all the money somewhere else. How secure.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-08-27 at 17:25.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
That's exactly where Maemo 5 and the N900 excel. See them as the old laptops used in the ISS: you don't want something bleeding edge there, but you want something that works in most cases because it uses generic stuff, reliable because the technology is robust and well tested, and behaves the way you want it to behave. In many ways, except of course from its size, the N900 feels like a micro computer more than a mobile phone with some computer specs.
That is why I have loved my N900. I could do several things using it because of the OS and the hardware keyboard.
That was some strange things in it like a ribbon cable coming directly from PCB, but it worked well for several years.

I was waiting for N950 when they almost released it, but since then similar devices are disappeared from market.

It became even better and could gain some more years of life when codes compiled using Thumb2 instruction set has appeared in CSSU.

The N900 is way too slow for nowadays standards, let alone the outdated browser and the lack of applications for public or private companies. Yet, it still shines for its keyboard, compact form factor, stylus, quality resistive screens, and other gadgets (RGB LED, FM, stero, etc.). And most of all, it features an OS that does not work as if it was locked down to a category of devices on which one should prefer specific applications for specific services. You need to do something Unix can do? Odds are good that the N900 might be able to do it.
You are right. Anyway, its display was transflective, so it also worked in direct sunlight which was fine.

I cannot say that I would use my N900 for daily use because besides the lack of HWKB/stylus, I am happy with Sailfish and the Android compatibility.
I really hope a full Sailfish support will appear including Android compatibility even for Pro1.
It would gain some of the real feeling I had with my N900...

However, I wish all companies would still offer their services as if they didn't assume everyone has the same OS. They didn't do it 10 or 15 years ago, while they do assume you have Android or iOS now, pretty much as if it was mandatory like a bank account. And they are right in most cases, but this totally changes the way they offer their services because they serve only the monopolistic OSes, which causes issues. Often, bank applications could just use websites with the same features, but the paradigm is to embed every single service in its own application now. We need Android or iOS to take the bus, the train, pay for parking, or even interact, and sometimes there are no website alternative (some services are not even available for a regular computer). Unfortunately, this is a rather restrictive idea of what an OS ecosystem should be: instead of promoting additional features, it just starves everything else because we now need a specific OS to do stuff that used to be generic. And since they often lock their APIs or their code, even the good will of a third-party developer is useless.
I doubt it will change soon. This is the same like Windows vs. Linux fight.

Also, writing a program which works on all systems take much resources. Also, Maemo is a native ecosystem and that also makes it better on the same hardware. Android's structure is more complicated this way.

Let's hope this can change progressively thanks to PostmarketOS, Maemo-Leste, Sailfish, Librem, and most of all the rising public concern (in some communities or countries only, so far) about privacy, freedom and ever-growing GAFAs. The hope is thin, but that's still something, and I can safely say that I would be happy if mobile OSes in the future could become just a variety of tools to achieve similar goals, instead of prerequisites pre-selected by market monopoles to fulfill basic needs like public transportation.
Sometimes changes in the world go to wrong direction... like all the phones are the same now with small differences (except Pro1 and a few), every phone getting slimmer with the practical inability of replacing the battery. Same happens with notebooks, you are not even able to buy a robust one even from big manufacturers and high price, because everything "should" be thin and light... also, with internal battery in a business computer...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Even with no Alien Dalvik, I would be quite happy with a Sailfish/LineageOS multiboot already (+ Leste and PostmarketOS!). Actually, this would allow me better separating the OS and applications I trust and want to support from those I just need occasionally but don't want on my device when I don't need them.

Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
Sometimes changes in the world go to wrong direction... like all the phones are the same now with small differences (except Pro1 and a few), every phone getting slimmer with the practical inability of replacing the battery. Same happens with notebooks, you are not even able to buy a robust one even from big manufacturers and high price, because everything "should" be thin and light... also, with internal battery in a business computer...
Short off-topic: buy a Xiaomi Mi Air 13"! It's robust and thin, and powerful for the price, and parts are available for purchase and easily replaced. You can even replace the stock SSD and add an extra one. And the hardware is fully compatible with Linux. Strongly recommended if you can type on a Qwerty keyboard.

But this laptop is a very rare example of a device going in the right direction, combining features that sell well and old fashioned features like screws instead of unibody + glue. Especially from a company as big as Xiaomi.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Breaking News:

New Huawei OS Shock: 'Confirmation' Of Russian Software For Mobile Devices

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff.../#544f6ea979c8

Despite the highly-publicised launch of its own HarmonyOS, Huawei is reportedly preparing a pilot-test of Russia's Aurora OS on its mobile devices. Aurora is based on the Sailfish OS, which was developed in Finland before its adoption by the Russian Open Mobile Platform with the backing of oligarch Grigory Berezkin.
This could be really great or how sailfish is made out to be a backdoor enemy Communist ... think of what ever other nice things some will say about this news.

Great in that it may bring more devices with sailfish to market, which means more software possible. Unless everyone just load android software .

x

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I really love the ongoing off-topic in this thread.
But I also believe this needs its own thread or to be attached to an already existing thread about Huawei / Rostelcom ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Great in that it may bring more devices with sailfish to market, which means more software possible. Unless everyone just load android software .
It sounds interesting.

I hope for Sailfish OS to become more popular, thus, more developers would write applications for it.

I hope it won't be directly "connected" (in mind) to be like "backdoor" and at least such code will not enter to Sailfish itself.

On the other hand, most of these phones will definitely end up running Android just because everyone knows it unlike Sailfish / other name OS...

However, there are people who are not really care what OS is running on their device while the necessary applications are running well - and this is the key.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Breaking News:

New Huawei OS Shock: 'Confirmation' Of Russian Software For Mobile Devices

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff.../#544f6ea979c8

This could be really great or how sailfish is made out to be a backdoor enemy Communist ... think of what ever other nice things some will say about this news.

x
Funny that you mention Russia, i'm playing through Shadow of Chernobyl right now. Great game!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
I wonder what the status has been for lineage os and the like. Haven't seen anything posted about this phone on xda since February during MWC...

The Following User Says Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit