Active Topics

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I'm a Palm user (Tapwave Zodiac) considering an IT. I don't use calendar or contacts much on my Palm, and only use To Do a bit, but I do use Memos an awful lot - I have hundreds of them. I particularly like the very quick way of being able to browse the memos, including pressing left-right to skip from one to the next in the current category, being able to create a new one without having to think (the first line being used as the memo title), and not having to explicitly save. It's very much like flipping through and writing in an organised notebook, rather than dealing with individual files on disk.
have a look-see at quicknote, which seems like what you want.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I'm a Palm user (Tapwave Zodiac) considering an IT.
Is that verion 1 or 2? If 2, you wouldn't happen to be selling your Tapwave, would you?

I'm on a similar path with some others here- I've owned four Palms. Before that I owned an Apple Newton. I swore that was the last time I'd pay for something with that logo on it, and so far it has been. Not interested in the iPhone at all, thanks. Steve Jobs still owes me for that.

I'm a very heavy user of memos and contacts, medium user of To-Do lists, and use the calendar functions almost not at all.

Since, IMHO, the Palms have been going in the wrong direction for a while (since my Tungsten T they have gotten bigger, they lack voice recording and true charging/hotsync cradles, and Graffiti has gotten worse), and since I'm moving away from using Microsoft software, and Linux support for Palm is still a bit limiting, I figured the time had come to migrate to something less proprietary.

So far, the leading candidate for me is TiddlyWiki. It lets me store things however I like, linked together however I like, so I'm not forced to use anyone else's ideas of application design. It's all stored in a single html file, and is retrievable and editable in any browser, on any platform, that supports JavaScript. Like any wiki, you edit the thing from within. Unlike many, you also do all the configuration of TiddlyWiki from within (no server-side setup).. so a browser is all that's required.

I've migrated maybe half of my most-data over manually, but the html format for records ("tiddlers") seems straightforward, I'm sure I can migrate the rest automatically when I get around to it- but I am a programmer.

Tiddlywiki seems to work for the things I need it to do, it's not proprietary, it's open-source and free, it works well and reliably, and it lets me have my "PIM" on my desktop machines, my notebook, on the web (tiddlyspot.com), and even on the flash/thumb drive I wear around my neck. I had hoped that it would also work on an N810 for portable use (there's been a setback in that, subject of another thread). Not having actually tried it, I don't know how well TiddlyWiki works on the Internet tablets.

I should state that my use of the Palms themselves has always been pretty light (I'm mostly sitting at computers, using the computer versions), and my personal need for that is biased toward emergency scenarios, where I need all my contact info (and the GPS would be great) with me in some very portable and accessible way when, for instance, riding a motorcycle on back-country roads.

I have a separate Tiddlywiki that I keep encrypted with Truecrypt (which has Linux and Windows versions, the same file is accessible either way) for the stuff I care about keeping private.

My solutions are not for everyone, and a lot of people don't seem to "get" TiddlyWiki, even after playing with it a bit they don't seem to see it's potential (the tutorials are not great).... but if you're in that position, and you haven't checked it out, you might want to take a look.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gigaboom For This Useful Post: