Active Topics

I was wondering if anyone has tried hacking the old Palm Portable keyboard for N800 use? I know hacking it to a serial port and getting it working with desktops has been done. I thought it might work to hack it to a ps/2 to usb connection then using the usb, plugging it into the n800. From their I thought it might just require some key mapping.

I haven't done anything as fancy as this before. But since these Palm keyboards are very nice and cheap a simple hack would be great.

Note: I have a Palm keyboard, a ps/2 to usb connector, soldering iron, electrical tape, and a ton of other various usb and serial adapters. The infrastructure is not the problem! ;-)

Anyone have some ideas?

I'm am not really a pro in the subject but do normal ps/2 keyboards with ps2/usb adapters even work on the tablets? It's worth trying that before heating up the solder iron

It's my (reduced) knowledge that this kind of ps2 to usb requires usb-legacy suport...

Second, wouldn't it be more easily accomplished to use a serial-usb converter (some are reported to work on the n800 - check the forum) and connect the keyboard to a serial port (for which it was designed anyway...)

But please report here your findings - I'm looking for a cheap portable keyboard myself

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
I'm am not really a pro in the subject but do normal ps/2 keyboards with ps2/usb adapters even work on the tablets? It's worth trying that before heating up the solder iron

It's my (reduced) knowledge that this kind of ps2 to usb requires usb-legacy suport...
Good point. I am not wedded to the ps/2 port. I have one of the serial->usb adapters. The ps/2 looked easier. Just stick the wires in the right hole and tape it up! (That was the lazy bastard in my talking!)

Ok, any ideas on palm keyboard->serial->usb?

Should work with something like kbdd...