Active Topics

While trying to install local-mmc2.deb application manager said unable to install so i ran dpkg -i local-mmc2.deb in xterm as root and got this error
Code:
short read in buffer_copy (failed to write to pipe in copy)
short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./etc/e2.tgz')
i can't figure out what to do or how else i can install kde.

Hi guys. I want to put KDE on my new N800, but I can not seem to figure out what is going on.

I've got (1) Sandisk 2GB SD card. Yet I see that install requires the 300mb file to be on the unit's internal memory. It only comes with a 128MB card. Will I need to purchase another card in order to install the OS?

Thanks for the help

I have a quick question that I wasn't able to find a clear answer for in this thread. I have a N800 and I am going to install KDE to the internal SD card (MMC2). I'll be installing from a 2GB SD card in the external slot (MMC1). Are the file named for the source or destination? In other words - do I want the MMC1 or MMC2 files if I am installing from MMC1 onto MMC2? I apologize if I'm asking a repeat question. I read the entire thread and did not find a clear answer.

Thanks!

use the number that you are installing TO

mmc1 to mmc2 use 2
mmc2 to mmc1 use 1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delphipgmr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Delphipgmr View Post
use the number that you are installing TO

mmc1 to mmc2 use 2
mmc2 to mmc1 use 1
I'd thought as much but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

Thanks a ton Delphi.
edit: In the end, I was able to install it, and I indeed was very impressed with it, but it did not seem to offer the functionality I was looking for. I am reflashing with OS2008 right now.

Last edited by Maximos; 2008-04-16 at 03:16.

If I'm installing it onto my mmc boot I just copy the two .tar.gz files to the root directory and just untar them right?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I gotta say, I am surprised at the people having trouble installing this. I am a total n00b and know very little about Linux, other than installing it on my Playstation 3 which is Yellow Dog. If you follow the instructions, to the letter, it works. Worked for me anyhow.

Do not do anything other than what is described. You do not have to untar or unzip anything. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Nothing else is required. I suspect people are thinking there must be more to this install. There isn't. The fist post in this chain is all that is required.

I used MMC2 (internal) didn't reflash OS first or anything like that, only had 50Mb of N800 memory available, but followed the instructions to the letter, downloaded files to PC and transfered over to N800 on a USB, installed in the order directed and boom. KDE worked straight away. I don't even have any font issues.

Penguinbait, you are a God in my book. Thanks for taking the obvious trouble to get this working on the N800. It is truly brilliant. Enough thanks cannot be bestowed upon you.

If you are thinking about it and reading this thread, just do it. You will not be disappointed. So much more functionality. I haven't even scratched the surface of what is available.

As said before, Laptop functionality in your palm. Nearly anyway!

Last edited by Groover; 2008-04-17 at 20:06.

Groover, do you know a way to get the full RealPlayer/any other 'real computer' player on here?

Thanks.

Two more questions for clarity's sake:

The instructions state that FAT/FAT32 formatting is necessary for the SD card. Does this refer to the card I am installing from or the card that I am installing to (or both)? In other words - does the SD card that will hold the resulting local.img and swap.img have to be formatted FAT/FAT32?

I assume that virtual memory should be turned off for the install. From what I've read here the swap.img functions as virtual memory for Maemo when complete. Are these assumptions correct?

Thanks!

Last edited by Deaj; 2008-04-17 at 23:16.

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35, koffice