Active Topics

Is there any other alternative to grandcentral? I requested a number and never got one, and now the invites are down, I get my tablet tomorrow and would like to make free calls..

I would consider Skype and paying but I used to use them and everytime I would call someone from my skype it would charge the person I was calling, they had like $50 in charges saying my skype line with the same area code as the person I was calling was long distance.. We called the customer support and asked them how a 509 number calling a 509 number was long distance and they said the computers dont make mistakes and they wouldnt revoke the charges lol

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
I just heard about this: http://phone.ipkall.com/ipphone/. Not sure if it's what you wanted--I haven't checked it out myself.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
using ipkall also on my n800, plan to post a video on The Youtube on how to set it up.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I'm curious if anyone else offers the multi-ring with free incoming minutes?

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Please note that if you have no incomming (actually not just ringing, you have to pickup the phone and talk for a while maybe a min or less) for a month (30 days) then your number will be cancelled automatically.

so make sure atleast call once a while and have you number active.

HTH

Hi ShyBoy: What service were you referring to?

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
he is referring to ipkall....

Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
Hi ShyBoy: What service were you referring to?

ipkall is kinda cool I tried it and got it to send the calls to my gizmo account running on the n800, works great for incoming calls, but I need to call out aswell, which grand central would let me do free, and grand central has local area codes, the closest ipkall has was 360, and im in washington

maybe Im understanding it wrong but I cant make outbound calls with ipkall right?

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
Originally Posted by g0ldfinGa View Post
ipkall is kinda cool I tried it and got it to send the calls to my gizmo account running on the n800, works great for incoming calls, but I need to call out aswell, which grand central would let me do free, and grand central has local area codes, the closest ipkall has was 360, and im in washington

maybe Im understanding it wrong but I cant make outbound calls with ipkall right?
You would make your outbound calls through Gizmo, so you need to have credit with them. Grandcentral will only provide you with incoming forwarded number to your Gizmo account. This is the setup I have for my main "land" line.

The only drawback is that people you call see your Gizmo number on their caller id, not the Grandcentral or Ipkall.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I don't suppose anyone knows if there's any service like Grandcentral for Canadian cities? tx
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset