Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
Got my cable today. It works great, and it has a microSD reader too (on the other side of the usb connector actually, extremely small).

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
Got my cable today. It works great, and it has a microSD reader too (on the other side of the usb connector actually, extremely small).
Thanks. You could post a link if you think it's worth it for others to purchase.

And let us know if it melts or burns your house down!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0788

It seems really nice...sturdy... then again if i dont show up here for a week ive burned to death

The Following User Says Thank You to Cptnodegard For This Useful Post:
I'm hoping those of you who have had success using the Tekkeon MP1550 as an external power supply can help me out here.

I have two MP1550's, several USB-to-Nokia-2mm charger cables, and quite a few sets of batteries including alkalines, lithiums, and NiMH rechargeables. Among the rechargeables I have 2 new sets of 4xAA 2000mAh Sanyo Eneloop batteries (Several folks here have posted positive results using Eneloops with the MP1550).

With the N800's battery topped off and the Eneloops fully charged I'm seeing no more than 60 minutes of power before the 3 LED's go dark on the MP1550. With Energizer e2 2500mAh and Duracel 2000mAh NiMH's I'm only seeing 40 minutes. Alkalines and lithiums go pretty quick as well - not that I'm interested in using disposable batteries. I'm testing using Mplayer running a full length movie (384k video / 96k audio) with screen at 40% brightness and volume at 50%. I get these results using either MP1550 with any set of batteries and any one of the several USB charging cables I have.

I'm pretty discouraged at this point. I'd assumed from the positive reports here that the MP1550 would work well for my N800 as an external power supply but with these numbers the MP1550+batteries is just extra weight. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by Deaj View Post
I'm hoping those of you who have had success using the Tekkeon MP1550 as an external power supply can help me out here.

I have two MP1550's, several USB-to-Nokia-2mm charger cables, and quite a few sets of batteries including alkalines, lithiums, and NiMH rechargeables. Among the rechargeables I have 2 new sets of 4xAA 2000mAh Sanyo Eneloop batteries (Several folks here have posted positive results using Eneloops with the MP1550).

With the N800's battery topped off and the Eneloops fully charged I'm seeing no more than 60 minutes of power before the 3 LED's go dark on the MP1550. With Energizer e2 2500mAh and Duracel 2000mAh NiMH's I'm only seeing 40 minutes. Alkalines and lithiums go pretty quick as well - not that I'm interested in using disposable batteries. I'm testing using Mplayer running a full length movie (384k video / 96k audio) with screen at 40% brightness and volume at 50%. I get these results using either MP1550 with any set of batteries and any one of the several USB charging cables I have.

I'm pretty discouraged at this point. I'd assumed from the positive reports here that the MP1550 would work well for my N800 as an external power supply but with these numbers the MP1550+batteries is just extra weight. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks!
I'm not sure if this is related but I thought I'd post my new findings useing the Tekkeon MP1550...

I've been using the MP1550 for quite sometime now and have found that if I use the retractable cable that can with the MP1550 to connect to the device and then proceed to use the device at the same time - my N810 battery level pretty much stays the same. That is my battery is neither charged or depleted (well maybe a percent or 2 but not much). This is using Ultralast NiMH Rechargeable AA (2000mAh) Batteries. A fully charged battery pack will last for several days with my usage.

However, I've just recently ordered and started using a Nokia CA-100 cable (I didn't like how far the Tekkeon cable stuck out from the side - it didn't seem to fit well). And the Nokia CA-100 appears to pull a lot more juice from the batteries. Since I've started using this new cable with the Tekkeon I've noticed that now sometimes my NIT battery is actually charged (ie: the battery percentage increases). However, my fully charged Tekkeon battery pack now only lasts a couple of hours before all the green lights go out.

So, I suspect that there is a great deal of difference in the cables. My husband said that if the CA-100 cable had resistors in series (or was that parallel ) that it could be pulling more power from the battery pack. What do you guys think?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
The ca100 has a step-up converter, and probably it properly handshakes with the tablet so that it draws more current (there's a nokia specification for chargers that says how much current a phone should draw depending on the voltage the charger provides at start-up).
Note that I don't have a ca100 cable, I gather it has a step-up converter from the specifications.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by luca View Post
The ca100 has a step-up converter, and probably it properly handshakes with the tablet so that it draws more current (there's a nokia specification for chargers that says how much current a phone should draw depending on the voltage the charger provides at start-up).
Note that I don't have a ca100 cable, I gather it has a step-up converter from the specifications.
luca, it seems you may have a deeper understanding of some of the electronics issues pertaining to charging cables and chargers. Do you see any danger to the NIT in using the cheaper third-party cables and chargers, or in using ones that don't have a "step-up converter"? Thanks in advance.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
luca, it seems you may have a deeper understanding of some of the electronics issues pertaining to charging cables and chargers
Not really, I just asked on this forum if it was safe to use a car adapter and somebody posted a link to the charger specifications.

Do you see any danger to the NIT in using the cheaper third-party cables and chargers, or in using ones that don't have a "step-up converter"? Thanks in advance.
No, the only risk is that it probably won't charge the n800 fast enough to keep the battery charged while using it, or it will take a longer time to fully charge it if idle, anyway I cannot really say, since I never use an usb cable to charge my tablet. I can only say that the cheap car charger I bought from dealextreme is working fine (crossing fingers )

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Alright - thanks for the feedback! The cable that came with my first MP1550 was faulty and so I chose to not use the one supplied with the second MP1550. I'm testing now using the supplied retractable cable and adapter and so far all three status LED's on the MP1550 have remained solid for 4 hours. Sweet!!

The only downside is that the bulky Tekkeon Nokia adapter seems like it could more easily facilitate damaging the N8X0's power than the standard charging cable should the cable or adapter be accidentally pulled laterally. This would be easy to avoid at a table in a cafe or some other setting where you have plenty of space. I'd be a little nervous sitting in coach on an airplane with someone sitting to my right though.

I'm going to contact Tekkeon on Monday to order a replacement cable for the one that arrived faulty. I'll also ask them if they have specifications for the supplied cable/adapter and pass along any useful information here.

Thanks again all!!

I am using a cheap usb cable i bought off of ebay that seems to work fine charging from my laptop. The ca100 knockoff on deal extreme is probably going to be better though, and it is cheaper too.

I have been wanting to buy an external battery pack, but I want something cheap. I would also prefer to get a 1xAA or 2xAA pack instead of a 4 one so that it is less bulky. any suggestions? I know about the minty one, but is there anything cheaper?