Active Topics

I tested all of the cables that I've used with the MP1550 so far (USB to Nokia 2mm) for resistance. All cables measure less than 1ohm for the negative conductor. The results were different measuring resistance for the positive conductor between the MP1550 Nokia adapter and the other cables. The Tekkeon Nokia adapter measures 5.8ohms resistance while the other cables measure less than 1ohm. I'll order a 5.76ohm resistor from Mouser and use the cable from a Nokia AC-4U charger to see if I can make a better power cable to use with the MP1550.

I'm curious about these solar chargers: http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00304 and http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00314

The whole green idea is enticing, though has anyone had any experience with these? My previous experience with the Solio Charger did not turn out well as it took two days to completely charge the battery.

Solar chargers are not "green". They will produce more CO2 manufacturing them than you will save from using them.

Solar panels are only effective when they are mounted on the roof and exposed to sunlight the entire day. But even then it takes years for them to "break even" as far as the environment goes(and even longer for your wallet).

Don't get me wrong, solar panels are great, but there are a lot of people out there that are going to try and make a quick buck off of other peoples attempts to "go green", and at the end of the day it ends up hurting the environment. Donate the 70 bucks to an environmental charity and you will be doing a lot more good than by buying that snake oil charger.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
Solar chargers are not "green". They will produce more CO2 manufacturing them than you will save from using them.
This is getting offtopic here, but I'd just like to point out to contradict your statement that the Solio chargers are 100% carbon neutral; the company plants a tree for every device purchased, and I don't have the exact numbers but they're on the site somewhere... it's something like every unit requires X amount of energy to produce, and if used every day for a week saves the end user X + 10 amount of energy.

As far as performance, just don't try to use the thing through a tinted automotive window (even a slight UV protection tint) as it actually blocks the energy from getting to the solar panels. (ever tried to wear those "transition" sunglasses in a car with a UV tinted windshiled? same problem)

Originally Posted by Deaj View Post
I tested all of the cables that I've used with the MP1550 so far (USB to Nokia 2mm) for resistance. All cables measure less than 1ohm for the negative conductor. The results were different measuring resistance for the positive conductor between the MP1550 Nokia adapter and the other cables. The Tekkeon Nokia adapter measures 5.8ohms resistance while the other cables measure less than 1ohm. I'll order a 5.76ohm resistor from Mouser and use the cable from a Nokia AC-4U charger to see if I can make a better power cable to use with the MP1550.
Thought I'd post a quick follow-up. I used the cable/plug from a Nokia AC-4U charger, a 5ohm resistor, and a male USB connector to make a new power cable to use between the Tekkeon MP1550 and the N800. The 5ohm resistor is in series between the +positive connectors, the -negative connectors are connected directly. I used a few layers of heat shrink tubing where the splice was made and the cable is rock solid. I've been running Mplayer video at full screen brightness and full volume for about four hours now. The N800's battery still shows full and I have 3 solid status LED's on the MP1550.

Thanks again for all of the feedback!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Excellent deal on excellent battery pack discussed on this thread.

IOGEAR GearJuice Mobile Pocket Charger for $19.99, free shipping. Works well, small form factor, nice design, adapter perfect for N-series. N-series AC adapter even the right size to charge the pack. Also has adapters for Motorola cellphones, etc. I'm very pleased with it.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Excellent deal on excellent battery pack discussed on this thread.

IOGEAR GearJuice Mobile Pocket Charger for $19.99, free shipping. Works well, small form factor, nice design, adapter perfect for N-series. N-series AC adapter even the right size to charge the pack. Also has adapters for Motorola cellphones, etc. I'm very pleased with it.
The iogear looks very interesting, but I was also looking at this other battery made by eGear, a manufacturer I'm not familiar with. http://www.amazon.com/eGear-Universa...9929503&sr=8-1
It claims a "4280mAh" capacity, though the reviewer estimates at 5v its less. Any thoughts?

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
I just thought I post a quick update to my Tekkeon 1550 + Official Nokia usb->power cable usage. I had said in my previous post that once I got the Nokia cable that the batteries in the Tekkeon started running out of juice pretty quickly and it was pointed out that the Nokia cable pulls more from the charger than the stock cable that comes with the Tekkeon. This allows the Tekkeon+Nokia Cable to actually charge my device as opposed to just keeping it at a constant level.

Well, last week I picked up some Sanyo 2700 batteries and must say - these are incredible!! I was expecting a ~30% increase (my previous batteries were 2000 mAh) in the amount of use I would get out of a fully charger set in the Tekkeon, but instead I'm seeing ~70% increase in the amount of time between recharges I used to have to recharge the batteries in the Tekkeon pack every day because I used it frequently throughout the day to top off my N810 battery. Now with the same amount of usage I'm able to go for almost 3 days before I have to recharge.

If you use your portable battery pack a lot and it can use AA batteries - you've really got to get Sanyo 2700 (I also read that Duracell 2650 are good but can't speak from personal experience).

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
has anybody look at this one, http://www.boxwave.com/products/batt...pter/index.htm. +S/H = $27. Just an alternative choice to Tekkeon 1550. They claimed "up to 5 fully recharge cycle", with 4 AA battery? I doubt it.... Just trying to avoid the Nokia Ca100 cable for $39.95. Oh well...
Battery adapter pro.

bun

Edit: How about this one too, http://www.amazon.com/APC-PNOTEBX-US..._cr_pr_sims_t?
APC USB battery extender

Edit:
Using a USB charging cable "SIDO" ($5.99 from ebay), to charge from a laptop (an old PC) to N800 from a dead battery (wont boot, or shut down after showing a red battery icon, not the yellow one with exclaimation mark), 30 min charge while the tablet is showing the charging icon (i.e., the tablet is NOT on) gives 2 squares on the battery icon, like 50% juice. And the laptop is NOT plugged in. I have also tried a 2XAA battery charger using 2000 mAh recharging batteries, it wakes up a 770 from dead battery, but it cannot wake up a dead N800. Upon charging, it charges the N800 for ~1 min then it refuses to charge. So far, the only one that is giving consistent results, wake up the tablet and charging the tablet is charging via USB port of a notebook PC. Any comments? Old news? Sorry.....

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-05-06 at 03:27.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
has anybody look at this one, http://www.boxwave.com/products/batt...pter/index.htm. +S/H = $27. Just an alternative choice to Tekkeon 1550. They claimed "up to 5 fully recharge cycle", with 4 AA battery? I doubt it.... Just trying to avoid the Nokia Ca100 cable for $39.95. Oh well...
Battery adapter pro.

bun

Edit: How about this one too, http://www.amazon.com/APC-PNOTEBX-US..._cr_pr_sims_t?
APC USB battery extender

Edit:
Using a USB charging cable "SIDO" ($5.99 from ebay), to charge from a laptop (an old PC) to N800 from a dead battery (wont boot, or shut down after showing a red battery icon, not the yellow one with exclaimation mark), 30 min charge while the tablet is showing the charging icon (i.e., the tablet is NOT on) gives 2 squares on the battery icon, like 50% juice. And the laptop is NOT plugged in. I have also tried a 2XAA battery charger using 2000 mAh recharging batteries, it wakes up a 770 from dead battery, but it cannot wake up a dead N800. Upon charging, it charges the N800 for ~1 min then it refuses to charge. So far, the only one that is giving consistent results, wake up the tablet and charging the tablet is charging via USB port of a notebook PC. Any comments? Old news? Sorry.....

bun
bun, I'm not sure if this is responsive to what you're saying, but ...

At least if you're using fanoush's boot menu, you need to make sure you haven't selected that last option, the one about being off with no charger plugged in. I used that one the first time with my IOGear battery pack and it managed to drain the battery pack and at the same time not increase the charge in my N800.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)