Active Topics

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
How about UWB (google it), for communications and personal radar? As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), you can run Bluetooth, USB, IEE 1394 protocols over UWB.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Bruxelles (brussel, Belgium)
With Wimax, it should be able to implement an intelligent traffic "Jam detector" with the GPS and Map software.
Like I'm driving and suddenly , it's slow but it's a high-way :
So the software should be enought intelligent or Directly asking the user if he is in a traffic jam or stop at a redligh or for personal use.
And this information should be use to inform the other on the traffic map.
It could too calculate the midle time of the red light who sometimes are really long, to calculate the real quickest way.

If a lot of people has that kind of engine, a real map of the traffic can be done and should be usefull for all the user.

Not on the 900 but on the next evoluton after than I hope Nokia usa the Atom process. I would like to emulate/virtualize win98/XP.

As for n900, I need a SD/CF/XD memory card reader than has a mini USB plug.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
Not on the 900 but on the next evoluton after than I hope Nokia usa the Atom process. I would like to emulate/virtualize win98/XP.
Ah, another fan of zero battery life.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
it seems that some have gotten the "only X86 is a computer cpu" meme

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Ok, new desire for the next generation tablet. Welllll, I'll be honest and say up front that it doesn't actually have anything to do with the tablet itself, and could be implemented now, with the current tablets (770/n800/n810). Rather it is more of a marketing approach. It is this, included free wifi on some network, my personal preference being ATT(pretty damn unlikely) or Starbucks(possibly maybe?). Before the flamage starts, let me say there is a precedence, and by a .....competitor of the NITs no less. Sony includes free WiFi access at McDonalds with their Mylo2 internet tablet wannabe. I'm just sayin...

Ideally, I'd like to see more choice:

-a 1024x600 5" screened device with a slide-out keyboard (and maybe a tilting sliding mechanism like the HTC Shift has)
-a 800x480 3.5" screened device without keyboard, but <12mm thick; with a couple of media playback control buttons (or mappable multi-purpose buttons);

Both versions should be running on a OMAP3-based platform, offer dual microSD slots and plenty of RAM. Built-in screen orientation change options would be nice as well (maybe accelerometer-supported?)...

Last edited by chlettn; 2008-04-20 at 07:32.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
Ideally, I'd like to see more choice:
I'm with you here, but the platform isn't quite large enough to support a significant variety of devices (especially devices that deviate from eachother significantly specifications-side). But looking towards the future, diversification is most certainly something Nokia will have to do.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
I'd like to see in the N900, better input options in pen or voice.
If they are not going to move forward with better writing recognition, then why not implement an alternative virtual keyboard?
I know the community has already shown variations recently to accommodate other languages. I realize FITALY is licensed but I saw a link to a windows guy who easily mod'ed to a FITNALY layout. It is renowned for its optimized input.

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/utili...ive-bucks.html

The QWERTY layout is just plain sad after all the years and inhibits good/fast pen input.

I can't example much for the cause of 'voice input', but I have seen a few very promising options in recent years.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
I'd like to see in the N900, better input options in pen or voice.
If they are not going to move forward with better writing recognition, then why not implement an alternative virtual keyboard?
I know the community has already shown variations recently to accommodate other languages. I realize FITALY is licensed but I saw a link to a windows guy who easily mod'ed to a FITNALY layout. It is renowned for its optimized input.

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/utili...ive-bucks.html

The QWERTY layout is just plain sad after all the years and inhibits good/fast pen input.
It is, but people like it. If you try and market soemthing with a keyboard device that isn't ascii, it will be rejected. Maybe as an option.
I tried FITALY, but really didn't get on with it.

I would like to see a keyboard that didn't take over the whole screen though, like a transparent floating one.

The Following User Says Thank You to tabletrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist