Active Topics

On headphone buttons, someone wrote something to use xkb and a script - the buttons come via rfcomm and can be bound to something like a space bar for play/pause or such. It is in another thread - search for headset button or something.

AFAIK, some headsets (Sony one, for example) support MP3 encoding inside A2DP instead of SBC. At least this is written on the box. It would be nice for batteries to just repack stream, instead of recoding it.

Do you know what the parameters (max/min bitrate, fixed/variable, etc.) of the mp3 stream are?

I don't think Bluez currently supports pass through, but it would be worth implementing this. Are there any cheap BT headphones around that support mp3/anything othe than SBC for testing purposes?

With regard to the quality of A2DP/SBC, I'm still not sold on it. I do wonder if this is because the Linux implementation is not optimal though (e.g. I can't see that it does variable bitpool size between frames, which is allowed for by the spec). It has some odd aural artifacts, some songs sound odd (they go faster and slower, only very slight but can be heard), I don't know where this problem stems from, but I'd like to fix it if I can work out how.
Right, I understand that this is down to a timing issue (not accurate enough) in Bluez. Work is underway to fix this (driven in part by the desire to add PulseAudio and its requirement for better clocks).

Ok, this is TOTALLY gei.

Why the hell are we being so complaisant on this?!? Seriously, thank you Johnx and crew for attempting to get a2dp to work, but frankly your attempts are amature at best...

Mplayer? seriously? give me a break. Mplayer is NOT a media player. I don't know what the hell to call it other than sheer garbage. A PROPER media player has a bleading gui for cthulhu's sake! none of this command line bulls--t. Don't get me wrong, I have an old xbox with XBMC installed and it uses Mplayer... but it also has a front end so I don't have to f--k around in a craptastic command line!!!

Look people, stop f--king around with this crime against humanity. If you want to fix the n810--or the n800 for that matter--you need to start focusing on the core sound system... this osso sound thing is worthless and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up to include the necessary alsa/bluetooth/a2dp components. that's all there is to it.

Prediction: Nokia will stop supporting this monkey turd and move on to "better things" (which is an oxy*****) before a2dp EVER is properly implemented on this brick.

I give up. I hate you Nokia. I vow to never again purchase a Nokia product again. If I could find the documents that told me (before I bought this piece o' s--t) it supported a2dp I'd sue the respective group that misled me. but I can't. so I can't.

SUCK IT!

Such language. I hope you know how persuasive that kind of ramble is. But just in case you think someone read it and decided to bail on this whole A2DP thing -- my headphones are coming next week, for the express purpose of fiddling with this.

Good day to you, also.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Awesome.

Pure, total, awesome win.

IcoNyx, please get a clue.

OK, I'll recant... when A2DP works using the base sound system. IE: I pair up my headset and sound... just... works...

when I see that, I will personally hand write an apology to Nokia and each person in this thread and mail it to each respective person/company.

somehow I don't think I will ever have to break out my pen and pad.

the thing isn't the device, really the thing is a rather nice little piece of engineering. I will admit that of all the PDAs I have owned it is the best...

However; I feel it quite insulting that I was promised this simple thing and it has yet to materialize... in fact it has been promised for over two years... nothing.

I am not a programmer, I have absoultly no programming skills what so ever, but in my LACK of skill I DO know what the overall problem is. It's not Nokia, It's not bluez, or the applications... it's the Linux sound architecture. This is the ONE THING that Microshaft has gotten right.

Please do not assume by the following that I am a windows fan. I'm not, I loathe Microsoft and all they make... the only thing I own that is a product of Microsoft is my Xbox, and please note, I modded it to run Linux!

In Windows, whatever sound I have playing on the system--notices, music, video audio, system sounds, Internet sounds (via flash or wm plugins)--it all plays unilaterally across the sound output. that means, if I have a bluetooth headset connected and the proper sound driver installed for it, Windows will automatically pipe all sound to my headset, IN STEREO no less.

But in Linux... well... sound is not so easy... you have to worry about the kernel having the necessary modules for both your sound card and for the sound architecture you want (alsa, gstreamer, etc.), and even if it has all that on place you have to then worry about whether or not your applications use/are compatible with the sound architecture you have loaded not to mention the fact that Linux tends to separate sound output excessively. on my little lappy here In my sound/alsa config I see no less than 4 outputs... when I only have 2!!! and only 2 of 'em actually work while the others trade places intermittently... it's a frikken crap shoot each time I boot weather or not my volume control shortcuts will work! and that's NOT including the headaches I've had trying to get a2dp to work... that introduces a whole new level of complexity that... well, I'll admit I have not been able to get my headset to work on any system I own. and I have tried this in fedora, Debian, SuSE, but NOT Ubuntu... I just dont like Ubuntu... and yes, I am aware that Ubuntu is a Debian branch... it's the Ubuntu creator politics... they bug me, please don't ask.

Look, you can tell me I'm an idiot all you like, you can flame me for getting all pissy about this. But you can't tell me that A2DP works on the Nokia Internet tablets. it's a myth. It's vaporware. And I'm getting a little tired of all you script kiddies out there who claim otherwise.

It's like selling me an '08 ford mustang and telling me it can go 280mph. SURE it can, but you have to gut the transmission, pull the throttle assembly and install NON FACTORY PARTS to get it to do so. using that as a selling point is simply misleading. In the majority of countries where this stuff is sold, misleading like that is ILLEGAL!!!

Final note, you can push this crap all you want, this forum is intended for just that, but until you/Nokia can make a simple install package (or set of packages) that replace the existing sound system on the Internet tablets to allow for NATIVE A2DP support, you are just hacking. that is not acceptable when Nokia has misrepresented the NATIVE abilities of the device.

Getting longer-winded and putting down hackers. That's better, now I'm sure you're not wasting your time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
meh, I have lots of time to waste...