Active Topics

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
The large 1.8 inch disk would be good for me because it carries all of my current documents from the main PC, software utilities, OS builds, movies and MP3s. Basically it's a file server for my NIT. But also does the other stuff.

My idea would be that it is powered and is connected to the network by cable. The main PC/server copies data to it that has changed.

When I need to I pick it up and go kowing that I cannot possibly leave anything on the PC that I need.

If I get a hotel with no WIFI. (A lot them them do still exist.) That's alright because I got my own AP.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I've been thinking about Rob's original idea, and what I'd personally like to see is a pocketable server with innate bluetooth, wifi routing ability, static storage, etc. Think about LAN parties taken to the next level: WLAN parties with MIDs of any kind that share a game hosted by the pocketable server.
Basically that is a Asus EEe or other kind of nettop. These are good to combine with (Symbian) phone, or in future N810WE or `N900'. In your case it'd be a portable server/router with a screen.

Imagine a NIT without any touchscreen, only being a server (not for games). It does GPS, WiFi, HS*PA, WiMAX, BlueTooth, and so on. It runs Linux or *BSD. Its basically a server/router. The EEe is then the client.

I have a laptop, and a `N900' i'd definetely use like this some time, you know

Yes there are all kind of these options, but 266MHz AMCC PowerPC is in some cases not good enough for a game server. A nettop like the EEe would barely make it. AFAICT for Quake 2 you need approx a P2/400, for Quake 3 or ET you need approx a P3/800. An Asus EEe would just be good enough, I'd say.

Its also important what kind of hardware features you want on your STB. This one is pretty advanced, but also quite big.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-09-20 at 20:44.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Just my 2 cents. I see no use in wired companion devices. I use a bluetooth keyboard which greatly expands the utility of my N810. Tighter integration and synchronization with desktop or web applications using WiFi or bluetooth -- software created wireless companion would be my answer. To that end I use Gmail and Gcalendar synced wit mcalendar. If I wanted a bigger screen and a desktop experiences in a small size I would have purchased an eeePC or one of the clones coming out. Portability goes to hell when we have to carry numerous attachments to make a hand held device useful.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:

Tags
docking station, port replicator