Active Topics

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Benson. There was some trouble with the sliderotate, so in the end I needed to remove the sliderotate repository and then remove and install again the kernel-diablo-flasher to get it to the version the SSU needs...

where do i find this update?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SeanLynch View Post
where do i find this update?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Seamless_Software_Update

It shows up automatically if you're running Diablo. If you haven't got Diablo yet (as implied in your other post), you're going to have to reflash, same as for any previous update. You can use the Nokia Software Update Wizard, assuming you're on Windows.

See http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
It shows up automatically if you're running Diablo. If you haven't got Diablo yet (as implied in your other post), you're going to have to reflash, same as for any previous update. You can use the Nokia Software Update Wizard, assuming you're on Windows.

See http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware.
Something seems to be missing from that wiki. The last two updates never showed up on my N800. There seems to be flaws with this auto system update. (I had been receiving application update notices all along). When installing manually using apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34 I received 4 errors (see post above). I was finally able to install the latest by using the red pill mode where the update was listed.

Last edited by Machster; 2008-10-16 at 23:17.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Machster View Post
Something seems to be missing from that wiki. The last two updates never showed up on my N800. There seems to be flaws with this auto system update. (I had been receiving application update notices all along). When installing manually using apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34 I received 4 errors (see post above). I was finally able to install the latest by using the red pill mode where the update was listed.
Nothing's missing from the wiki, if you're experiencing trouble, then (either intentionally, or unintentionally) you've broken your install somehow.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Nothing's missing from the wiki, if you're experiencing trouble, then (either intentionally, or unintentionally) you've broken your install somehow.
I disagree about the WIKI. It states:

"If the update doesn't show up for you at all, you may have accidentally (or intentionally) uninstalled osso-software-version-rx*4, which is required to update. You can get it back by simply running an apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34, for the N800..."

This did not work for me as seen in my previous post and it does not include alternative methods, such as the one I used. Also there are other posters in this thread that are not seeing these system update messages. Are they too intentionally or unintentionally breaking their install?

Perhaps it should also include a list of what would break it?

Last edited by Machster; 2008-10-17 at 02:45.

Originally Posted by Machster View Post
I disagree about the WIKI. It states:

"If the update doesn't show up for you at all, you may have accidentally (or intentionally) uninstalled osso-software-version-rx*4, which is required to update. You can get it back by simply running an apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34, for the N800..."

This did not work for me as seen in my previous post and it does not include alternative methods, such as the one I used. Also there are other posters in this thread that are not seeing these system update messages. Are they too intentionally or unintentionally breaking their install?
It doesn't work because you in fact broke your install; you replaced some of the software on which osso-software-version-rx34 depends. So you have to fix that by up/downgrading them to original versions, or using osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked (which allows upgraded versions of dependencies). Once you've resolved this and gotten a valid osso-software-version package in, everything's good to go.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
It doesn't work because you in fact broke your install; you replaced some of the software on which osso-software-version-rx34 depends. So you have to fix that by up/downgrading them to original versions, or using osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked (which allows upgraded versions of dependencies). Once you've resolved this and gotten a valid osso-software-version package in, everything's good to go.
Benson,

Thanks for your explanation. I think you should add it to the wiki. The section dealing with the problem of not receiving system updates does not mention the unlocked version, therefore, I did not use it.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Benson's explanation would really be a good addition to the wiki. I tried editing it myself, but I don't have permission to do it so...

Tags
browser, email, microb, modest, os2008, ssu, stability, update