Active Topics

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I am cornfused??

#1 "I decided to restore my bootmenu to boot from an SD that (I thought!) had not been changed today."

Not sure what this means? What do you mean restore your bootmenu? Also note that bootmenu is not stored on SD or flash, it is on initfs which is totally separate. So NO backup or restore using my tools will alter bootmenu

#2 "I did use it as the source of a clone, but that shouldn't have changed the amount of space available in "device" when booted to that sd. However, when now booted to that SD, I am told that Device has just 1kb available."

How big is the filesystem on SD?? Thats correct that using it as a source will not alter the Filesystem. If you backup to it though, you might use up all the space. look in /backup does it exist? is there anything in it?

we should get together on IRC or gtalk or aim or msn or yahoo or whatever you got??
Here's what happened. I started with the 2gb cloned sd that I always boot from. I then booted to flash and backed up this sd using mgmt tools. Then I played around with a second 2gb sd. I established new partitions on the second sd that nearly matched the partitions on the first, and then tried to restore the backup to this second sd. This seemed to work fine. Then, after some more playing that did not involve the first sd, I reconfigured the bootmenu to boot from the original sd, to get things back to the way I had it pre-mgmt tools. After booting to the original sd, control panel > memory showed that there was just 1kb of space left in "Device". But after restoring the original sd using acronis true image just now, I see that the original sd in fact had 710 MB available.

Anyway, I assume these are just hiccups. Maybe I did in fact f something up. I think it would help to have you give a walk through of how one would go from a bootable sd to a backup to a restore of that backup on a new, blank sd. The fact that the new sd needs to have the right partitions is throwing me for a loop, I think. Let me be clear: I'm not complaining that this is how mgmt tools is set up. I'm just not sure how to go about restoring a backup to a new, black sd (as one would have to do if one's current bootable sd become corrupted, or something).

Anyway, I'll keep playing. Me. Likes. Playing.

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Here's what happened. I started with the 2gb cloned sd that I always boot from. I then booted to flash and backed up this sd using mgmt tools. Then I played around with a second 2gb sd. I established new partitions on the second sd that nearly matched the partitions on the first, and then tried to restore the backup to this second sd. This seemed to work fine. Then, after some more playing that did not involve the first sd, I reconfigured the bootmenu to boot from the original sd, to get things back to the way I had it pre-mgmt tools. After booting to the original sd, control panel > memory showed that there was just 1kb of space left in "Device". But after restoring the original sd using acronis true image just now, I see that the original sd in fact had 710 MB available.

Anyway, I assume these are just hiccups. Maybe I did in fact f something up. I think it would help to have you give a walk through of how one would go from a bootable sd to a backup to a restore of that backup on a new, blank sd. The fact that the new sd needs to have the right partitions is throwing me for a loop, I think. Let me be clear: I'm not complaining that this is how mgmt tools is set up. I'm just not sure how to go about restoring a backup to a new, black sd (as one would have to do if one's current bootable sd become corrupted, or something).

Anyway, I'll keep playing. Me. Likes. Playing.

I appreciate all your help and input. There will be many people that have the same issues. I will be putting together some walkthroughs but it might be this weekend before I get to it..
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much for all the libraries you've already put together.

Gparted is still missing libXdamage.so.1

Do you think it will need many more libraries? Because maybe I could compare a list of libraries I need with the ones I have?

Originally Posted by cgdel View Post
Thank you very much for all the libraries you've already put together.

Gparted is still missing libXdamage.so.1

Do you think it will need many more libraries? Because maybe I could compare a list of libraries I need with the ones I have?
Ah what the hell we have come this far

NOTE THIS STEP IS ONLY TESTING ON 2007OS DO NOT USE,unless you are "cgdel"

http://penguinbait.com/2008libs.tar

open xterm

sudo su -

cd /

tar xvf /path/to/2008libs.tar

File contains

usr/GPARTED/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
usr/GPARTED/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
usr/GPARTED/lib/libcairo.so.2
usr/GPARTED/lib/libcairo.so.2.11.5
usr/GPARTED/lib/libnotify.so.1
usr/GPARTED/lib/libnotify.so.1.1.2
usr/GPARTED/lib/libXcomposite.so.1
usr/GPARTED/lib/libXcomposite.so.1.0.0
usr/GPARTED/lib/libXdamage.a
usr/GPARTED/lib/libXdamage.so
usr/GPARTED/lib/libXdamage.so.1
usr/GPARTED/lib/libXdamage.so.1.0.0
usr/GPARTED/lib/libXdamage.so.1.1.0
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Xterm stopped longer than usual when it got to libXdamage.a (more than a minute) so I stopped it.

Thanks anyway

I managed to partition my SD card, tried to run mgmt-tools and got a very short and disturbing
"Bus error"

Any way around that?

Originally Posted by cgdel View Post
Xterm stopped longer than usual when it got to libXdamage.a (more than a minute) so I stopped it.

Thanks anyway

I managed to partition my SD card, tried to run mgmt-tools and got a very short and disturbing
"Bus error"

Any way around that?
It does not sound good. What do you mean bus error? Was this started from the menu shortcut?

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
I currently boot from internal SD, and after using gparted, I see that my linux swap file is also on that SD. I suppose I should take your advice and put it on my new class 6 8GB external card.

Should I follow these steps: (1) use gparted to delete the swap file on internal SD, (2) resize the ext2 partition on internal SD to fill the space left by deleting swap, (3) use gparted to establish similarly sized swap file on 8GB external SD? Will maemo automatically know that swap now exists on the external SD? Do I have to do anything under control panel > memory > virtual?

Thanks!

When lauching it from the menu, nothing happened.

I got the error when I tried to launch it from xterm (I thought maybe it was still missing a library or so).

As an FYI. This is working well. However I have been searching for a way to trim down the size and make this cleaner.

I looked at Xdialog, gdialog, kdialog, ssd, zenity, getgui, which are all gui menu kits like zenity in this package.

None of these are working for me or have so many deps its it ends up huge.

So what dos this mean to you. Well, I am discontinuing mgmt-tools and gparted-hack as a direction. Its just too big, not clean and in general just clunky.

I am in the process of rewriting mgmt-tools to be re-released as console-tools.deb. Console tools will use ncurses, with an interface similar to "make menuconfig" when building a kernel. This along with cfdisk which allows you to partition in a ncurses console, not quite as nice as gparted, but for the size its way awesome. This has been available for a while in a tgz on my website, and some link here on itt somewhere http://tablethacker.com/wp/?p=56&lang=en-us (its in the fdisk package, just run cfdisk from xterm)

console-tools will retain the same functionality as mgmt-tools with some additions. I may someday release mgmt-tools v2 if Ican get everything running cleanly in Maemo. In the mean time, you will be again happily surprised. Console tools will be cleaner faster and more reliable than mgmt-tools. It may be a couple weeks before I release console-tools.deb as I want it to be as solid as possible. mgmt-tools was a work in progress, I am compartmentalizing all the features so I do not need to scan for disk every time I want to perform an operation.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this, but the gui is going to the command line.

Thoughts suggestions ideas comments ???

I want it all, have you used mgmt-tools, please give me your input? What other useful functionality do you want?

and oh yeah, Happy Turkey Day.

Am I the only one who's starts a new project and spends every waking moment working on it?

As an added bonus you can partition/clone/bootmenu your device though ssh also

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-11-27 at 15:01.

Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
I currently boot from internal SD, and after using gparted, I see that my linux swap file is also on that SD. I suppose I should take your advice and put it on my new class 6 8GB external card.

Should I follow these steps: (1) use gparted to delete the swap file on internal SD, (2) resize the ext2 partition on internal SD to fill the space left by deleting swap, (3) use gparted to establish similarly sized swap file on 8GB external SD? Will maemo automatically know that swap now exists on the external SD? Do I have to do anything under control panel > memory > virtual?

Thanks!

1 and 2 sound good if thats what you want to do. I myself have a swap on internal memory of 256, and external memory of 128. I run my main 3.5gb partition off external SD, while using the swap on the internal disk. So they are not fighting for I/O on the same card. I run two test partitions on internal memory (2GB) while using swap on External card.

Once the swap partition is setup (wherever it may be) use mgmt-tools (Swap) menu to select the partition to assign the swap to, then you can choose from available swap devices.

Alternately, if you do not use swap partitions, you could then use "Virtual Memory" but you would want to make sure your FAT partitions are big enough.

Make sense?