Active Topics

Notices

qole, your method works, thank you for help!
I guessed that source of problem was in overflow of some storage, but couldn't imagine that size of /tmp directory is limited.
I established that, for example, for this file even 1Mb size of /tmp is enough, when without changing /tmp size only 2,5 first pictures was visible.
Of course, for bigger files will be required bigger /tmp directory.

There are still some bugs, but I think that developers of this app know about them better than I. =) They all related to not full compatibility with MS Office doc format.

Last edited by IvanSav; 2009-01-08 at 13:08.

Originally Posted by yerga View Post
  • First you should have installed abiword from the application manager or else you will have a "packages missing" error (this warning is for people who see this post without read every previous thing
Thanks for providing the link. Unfortunately, even though I installed abiword from extras-devel (successfully), I get several "packages missing" errors when I try to install your .deb. These include libfreetype6, libfribidi0, libglib2.0-0, libhildonfm2, libosso1. Do I maybe need to have another repository enabled, or be in red pill mode, or install these libraries manually, or something else? Thanks very much for any insight you can provide! OS is 2.2007.50-2.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by abby_normal View Post
Thanks for providing the link. Unfortunately, even though I installed abiword from extras-devel (successfully), I get several "packages missing" errors when I try to install your .deb. These include libfreetype6, libfribidi0, libglib2.0-0, libhildonfm2, libosso1. Do I maybe need to have another repository enabled, or be in red pill mode, or install these libraries manually, or something else? Thanks very much for any insight you can provide! OS is 2.2007.50-2.
It's because you are using an older OS (chinook) than the one where I built the package.
Unfortunately, I haven't time until february end (finals period) to built a package for chinook, and neither to continue with the bug fixing (more difficult I have thought).

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the explanation! It's nice at least to know what the issue is. I will make the switch to Diablo eventually, maybe this will be the thing that pushes me over the edge. In any event, good luck with finals.

One more question...
Is it normal, that when I try to type something in opened document using hardware keyboard, AbiWord hangs up (it happens in moment when appears hw keyboard bar in lower part of screen, indicating keyboard layout and letters case)?

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Australia
Hello,
I've seen once a variant of AbiWord which looked more like the desktop version.
I had to reflash my device and now I can find only the version which is optimised for Maemo.
Can anyone point me towards the more complex one?
Thank you.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by STANUL View Post
Hello,
I've seen once a variant of AbiWord which looked more like the desktop version.
I had to reflash my device and now I can find only the version which is optimised for Maemo.
Can anyone point me towards the more complex one?
Thank you.
Might be the one from Easy Debian - that is, same as the deskop version. Find it in the debian subforum.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Australia
Thank you for this.
I checked, but all I can find is AbiWord part of EasyDebian.
The package I had before was an independant port- same as Gnumeric
I'll keep looking.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
So, might be this other?
http://rickybrent.com/maemo/debs/pool/chinook/free/abiword/
or this?
http://erinye.com/maemo/?
(respective dependencies are in the same repos)

I created a 'repack' of the debian abiword to be an ext2 appliance to work with my isomount package.

Since this is the debian version, and since it does not include a virtual keyboard, then currently only 810 users can edit documents, but n800 users could use as a viewer.

You can think of it as being like a rom or a pendrive app distribution in that you dont need to install any dependencies (they are baked into the ext2 file). It is technically an ext2 chroot environment, made 'autorunnable' by my isomount package, and it can be placed on a fat based mmc card.

You can download the 43meg tar.gz (of a single 100mb .ext2 file) here :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...eg.ext2.tar.gz

Since there is no deb you need to create your own personal menu shortcut or dbus-switchboard association (will add this ext2run variant to future dbus-switchboard)

For personal menu add a shortcut with command line similar to :
ext2run /media/mmc2/fsimgs/abiword-100meg.ext2

For dbus switchboard add a handler similar to :
'Abiword (Ext2Run)' with the command line 'ext2run /media/mmc2/fsimgs/abiword-100meg.ext2 %params%

... and then set the xref to that handler. If you are running the latest 1.04 version of isomount then dbus-switchboard can use it for opening email attachments or files 'opened from' internet browser.

Since this is kind of a niche variant i probably didnt post about here before because i don't want to discourage official maemo ports, but for some people this might be really useful and portable distribution.

Last edited by pipeline; 2009-04-15 at 12:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:

Tags
abiword, office