Active Topics

Yeah, it's too bad that Nokia doesn't have an official wall charger. I'd really go for one of those if it were an official unit. Maybe the 3rd party leeches who are selling them like hotcakes might actually convince Nokia that there's a need for them.

My guess would be that they figured the battery life is good enough, and the back cover doesn't look like it was designed for a lot of openings.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
How many other devices does Nokia make that use the BP-4L?
See post #21

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Wien , Austria
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
This link shows Nokia cell phones that use same battery, and therefore chargers, as the N810.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product.../compatibility
Thanks for the link. Even if the batteries are not compatibles, chargers may be, for exemple if both have the same footprint with a different thickness. I just google a little bit and N95 and N810 are completely different size, and there is no way the previously mentioned charger may work with a BP-4L.

The only thing I found in DealExtrem is this. Strange gadget, working as an universal battery charger and MicroSd reader. For 3$, it worth a look.

Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
How many other devices does Nokia make that use the BP-4L?
Among the list, you can find the N97. At least that guaranty being able to find BP-4L for years, even if the N900 use a different format.

Well, the BP-4L is such a good universal battery that I expect to see it used for quite some time.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Agent 770 View Post
Fragos, can you confirm these charger works with BP-4L? According to the description, it is designed to charge N95 batteries (BP-5F or something like that). both are 3.7v and similar size, but do this charger fully compatible with BP-4L? If not, can someone points to a compatible charger from DealExtreme?
Mine works fine with the Nokia BP-4l and with Mugen batterry designed fot the N810. It's not unusual for batteries to be used in multiple models and those listed might be limited to model applications available when the charger was designed.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Mine works fine with the Nokia BP-4l and with Mugen batterry designed fot the N810. It's not unusual for batteries to be used in multiple models and those listed might be limited to model applications available when the charger was designed.
Fragos, as I mentioned on post #26, BP-4L is way bigger than a N95 battery (like 60% bigger), and will never fit in the charger you suggested. Can you double check the exact reference from DealExtreme? They got several similar external chargers, but can find any compatible with BP-4L. Thanks.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Agent 770 View Post
Fragos, as I mentioned on post #26, BP-4L is way bigger than a N95 battery (like 60% bigger), and will never fit in the charger you suggested. Can you double check the exact reference from DealExtreme? They got several similar external chargers, but can find any compatible with BP-4L. Thanks.
My charger is model: DPL-1688. It also appears that they used that model name on more than one version of the charger. The electrical specs appear to be the same. but clearly the batterry opening is different. You're correct in questioning my post.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
My Mugen 1800 mAH didn't work in my N810 until I added a shim made from card stock to the end of the battery.
This was my problem also.

My Mugen battery fit quite snugly so I didn't think a shim would make any difference. But when a replacement failed the same way, I added a couple of thicknesses of masking tape to the end of the battery. It now charges and works OK. I'll have to see if the fix is reliable.

The photo below shows how the Mugen contacts don't extend as far as the Nokia BP-4L or the other third-party battery. And the contacts look less sturdy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilofsky For This Useful Post: