Active Topics

Originally Posted by JayBomb999 View Post
I completely understand lag with many applications open.

However, I've seen the same herky, jerky transitions in nearly ever video regardless of the amount of apps open. It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I think the compositing has lots of room for improvement.

Am I wrong to crave Palm Pre-like fluidity given they have similar hardware?
WebOS can miss clicks and be pretty laggy too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inW7TCvrZrM

Then again the N900 is pushing more than twice as many pixels which requires more buffers etc, so it's quite amazing what kind of performance they get out of it considering that they had 10-13 windows/applications running at the same time.

The Following User Says Thank You to access For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think the lags may be caused largely from swapdisk read\writes.
thanks for bringing that up, as i was watching the sharp netwalker testing over on jkkmobile.com, and much of the speed issues seemed to be related to slow storage, as the os registered the launch instruction but it took some time for the software to open up (firefox can be horrible there if the databases have been in use for a while).

Originally Posted by tso View Post
thanks for bringing that up, as i was watching the sharp netwalker testing over on jkkmobile.com, and much of the speed issues seemed to be related to slow storage, as the os registered the launch instruction but it took some time for the software to open up (firefox can be horrible there if the databases have been in use for a while).
The problem is, there is only 5mb physical ram left after the webbrowser opens up a website. This increases the chance of swapping ocurring with other LARGE apps. but only if u have 2 or more large apps running at the same time

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
true, and i can observe that behavior today, using swap on the internal SD card of a N800, seeing the swap indicator jump towards the roof comes hand in hand with a near unresponsive interface...

Originally Posted by tso View Post
The problem is, there is only 5mb physical ram left after the webbrowser opens up a website. This increases the chance of swapping ocurring with other LARGE apps. but only if u have 2 or more large apps running at the same time

peter schneider talks about the phones limitation with open apps in this new vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxjfRE7GLno

The Following User Says Thank You to Raubtier For This Useful Post: