Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Of course, you can come up with all kinds of elaborate karma-harvesting schemes, but there is absolutely no reason to make it easier than it already is.
and your argumentation behind that statement is ...?

come on, get real. "i have a feeling in my arse" isn't enough.

and how big percentage of forum population could be misusing karma-system?

facts please if you want to continue this conversation...

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
and your argumentation behind that statement is ...?

come on, get real. "i have a feeling in my arse" isn't enough.

and how big percentage of forum population could be misusing karma-system?

facts please if you want to continue this conversation...
All I am saying is that earning karma should take certain effort and clicking on the "thanks" button is not effort.

fms, my sincere apologies-- I accidentally edited your post when I meant to post a reply. Feel free to restore your post.

-Texrat

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-23 at 05:27.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Though I think there are some potential good points to gain from this (getting more people to familiarize themselves and use the 'thanks' system), it 'complicates' the system too much:

- It makes people question if someone is saying 'thank you' sincerely or for their own benefit. This will reduce the meaning of someone saying thanks to you.

- It may give the mods one more unnecessary violation to watch; if someone abuses this feature.

So I don't think the payoff is worth the potential issues.

Thank you
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think it's "Skinnerian", the author of the excellent Walden II as well as the leading exponent of what another brainy guy, Arthur Koestler, called the "rat-amorphic" view of humans.

All I am saying is that earning karma should take certain effort and clicking on the "thanks" button is not effort.

fms, my sincere apologies-- I accidentally edited your post when I meant to post a reply. Feel free to restore your post.

-Texrat
and you just gained karma by posting couple posts with minimal effort (no arguments or anything) within seconds....

e:
to ysss:
and same complies with posts. does someone really want to create conversation or is he just gaining karma with nonsense?

these things can be speculated for ethernity but only way to be sure is to test things in real life. There is no real argument pro or con that would make testing unnecessary. plain speculation. (and with not enough background information for about everybody. or i dont know if there is a doctor of group psychology here with us)

Last edited by ossipena; 2009-10-23 at 06:42.

and you just gained karma by posting couple posts with minimal effort (no arguments or anything) within seconds.... these things can be speculated for ethernity but only way to be sure is to test things in real life.
You do not test every single thing in real life just because you do not feel like "speculating". For example, I am sure you have not tested sticking your head into the toilet bowl, but can probably "speculate" on the effects well enough. Similarly, there is absolutely no reason to test karma-for-thanks-given feature, because the effects of it are well predictable.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
these things can be speculated for ethernity but only way to be sure is to test things in real life. There is no real argument pro or con that would make testing unnecessary. plain speculation. (and with not enough background information for about everybody. or i dont know if there is a doctor of group psychology here with us)
While the doctor comes we can wait for more voters in order to see if the trial is worth at all and if it gets enough supporters. As for now:

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...hanks_in_talk/

Solution #1: Fractional metric
+9 - 10 = -1

Solution #2: Scaled to other activities
+2 -1 = +1

For a forum with hundreds of regular users.

Another interesting metric is that the vote vs comment ratio 0,4. Probably this tells something about the value of the discussion.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
You do not test every single thing in real life just because you do not feel like "speculating". For example, I am sure you have not tested sticking your head into the toilet bowl, but can probably "speculate" on the effects well enough. Similarly, there is absolutely no reason to test karma-for-thanks-given feature, because the effects of it are well predictable.

if these are your best arguments, i pity you.

i wont be attending to brainstorms anymore because this is plain stupidity. hundreds of forum readers, about ten votes. and people who yank and yank with no real arguments. bit like kindergarten. no real conversation, only yelling own feelings with no facts.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
ossipena, I would rather you stay involved and offer constructive criticism.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think it's "Skinnerian", the author of the excellent Walden II as well as the leading exponent of what another brainy guy, Arthur Koestler, called the "rat-amorphic" view of humans.

That it is... I missed an "n" . :doh

My introduction to B. F. Skinner came from a demonstration of behavior theory using something called Skinner's box... This was many years ago but I was hooked. I even married a "Rat Lab" girl from a well known University's bio-behavior unit. You can imagine what she has me trained to do.

I was reminded of Skinner in this case because after once or twice seeing my thanks number increase, I realized that this intermittent reinforcement has conditioned me to look at that dang number now just about every day.

Tags
giving thanks, karma