Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Are the people complaining asking for too much? No.
Yes.

If you want to cancel your pre-order because the finalizing of order is delayed, fine. You can do that, and eventually mention that in a civilized way. There are most likely additional arguments for the cancel than purely the delaying, and the fact one cancels is their personal choice which is more important than it being mentioning.

What TS did however was taking the time and energy to register here on t.m.o, and write in a rude manner about his cancel of pre-order.

After all, we are the one spending our money to buy your product. We're just asking for a solid date, without a solid date it implies any of the following (may or may not be true, and the sad thing is that none of them are probably true):
- There is a hardware issue on the production line. Fair enough, understandable
- Your firmware is not stable and you are rushing to fix it. Doesn't inspire confidence. To not be able to give a date after the initial deadline has passed shows something serious has come up.
- Does Nokia have 'code-freeze' QA Process or do they throw the code over the wall to customers? A product of this complexity would need at least 2 weeks QA code-freeze
- Have all the pre-production units have critical features turned off? And its the enabling of these features that have de-stablized the code? i.e Nokia have trouble managing and developing complex code on schedule.
Who cares? I don't give a flying duck what may or may not be wrong in beta and pre-production work as long as it does not occur in MY DEVICE (meaning: -RELEASE). I don't care whether Linux kernel 2.6.31-rc1 blew up nuclear power plants, as long as the final version runs fine on my nuclear power plant.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
i am going back to my beloved nokia 6510.

best phone ever.

-small
-does what a phone should do, make calls
-good design

dual sim, n900 on the side. learn some linux. create my own r0eladnized weird app which makes me disable the sim software-wise so i can switch between the 6510.
hey, that might be a good software idea

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
I'm just glad that Nokia isn't Palm

- Anounce cool device in January
- Release device in the US 5 months later
- No news about european release
- Release in UK, Germany and Spain 9 months after announcement
- Still no news on other countries..

And you can't use a device from other countries because their stupid unlock/register procedure..

Nokia isn't doing so bad so far..

robbie, thats not true, if i'm not mistaking, they released the n96 something like 8-10 months after they announced it.

However i could be wrong.

Anyone knows more about that?

eikido

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I was reflecting (after the battery died on the netbook and I still couldn't get back to sleep) about the complaints about nokia 'customer service'. I think we're missing something here.

1) Nokia has a very substantial bite of market share for mobile phones of one sort and another.

2) far and away the bulk of purchasers have zero contact with nokia at all: they buy through Carphone Whorehouse or the shop associated with their network supplier.

3) Far and away the bulk of customers do not buy phones that are new to market. They buy what the Nice Man recommends, or what they've seen their friends using.

4) Despite a suspicion that there were more pre-orders for this than expected, the number of people awaiting an n900 is fractional compared with nokia's total output.

Deduction: piss and moan all we want - we're no more than a zit on the face of nokia's empire. Maybe, if maemo 6 lives up to the dream, it will matter more next time. But even then, the number baying for their devices on release day will be small, when compared to the candy bar and symbian output.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2009-10-28 at 08:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Heheh. There's an idea for an Apple iPhone ad on this theme:
Want to cancel your N900 order? There's an app for that!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ralphb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
Heheh. There's an idea for an Apple iPhone ad on this theme:
OMG!! I just about lost it in my office while reading this to funny...

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Wasn't the N900 only officially announced at the start of September?

Its now the end of October, its not exactly a long wait till November.

If it is released in November a whole 2 months might have passed before they start shipping. Thats not too bad in my small opinion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RipTorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by zfarooq View Post
it was updated here in this blog first, then everywhere else.
I hope this is clear to everybody. I wish I had the time to find Peter's post here now, but shouldn't be difficult to dig it out.

I am disappointed they dint inform us about the shipping delay earlier.
If you count the Summit dates, time to process feedback, also internal testing process... look at the calendar and you will see that we shared the information quite soon after making the decision.

About "Delay upon delay", I hope it's clear that first it was announced October and last week it was said November. That's it.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-10-28 at 09:03.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
About the comments on whether Nokia cares about customers or not... The one and only reason of postponing the release date is software quality at sales start.

In your opinion, what would have shown more appreciation to our customers? Shipping the N900 in October ignoring the bugs our team has been chasing in the last weeks "only" to keep our public word?

As much as I wish you all would have an N900 in your hands and as much as I wish-not having to face threads like this, have no doubt that I personally feel good working in a team that decides the right time for a product based on the quality standards we have set to ourselves.

Thank you for your understanding! We do all this ultimately for you.

The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: