Active Topics

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
People do it all the time with other devices. Take your MP3 player. You attach and detach it from a speaker dock and/or a computer dock not to mention you attach and detach earbuds. With portable game consoles, you attach and detach game cartridges.

Even with cellphones, many people attach and detach them from a carrying case all the time. Who's to say you couldn't build the keyboard into the carrying case?
You can already build a keyboard into the carrying case, using bluetooth. What I'm saying is that having a keyboard that snaps to the phone, I think most people would have a preference, period, and not sometimes have it attached and sometimes not.

Game cartridges are extremely annoying. Apt-get ftw

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
It's a mystery. But I give it about 30 more minutes before someone chimes in with one or more of the following:
  • Research shows there's no market for that
  • It's not economically and/or physically possible
Maybe it will start a new category:

Handled in Harmattan

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Although I should add that game controller accessories never turn out well, because the initial user base is always too small for anyone to develop games for them.
That was yesterday. It seems there's an article every week or so about dedicated handheld game devices on the decline because of smartphones and handheld computers.

Mobile devices of a certain type are starting to have smaller size-differentials. These controllers, whatever they may be, should be able to transcend the usual hardware updates. The only dimension change from the original iPhone and the 3G/3GS is a depth increase of .5 mm. That's close enough that it can be said that the iPhone dimensions will have stayed constant for at least 3 years. At least! The iPod touch saw the same depth increase.

Have you played any of the higher-end games on a recent generation iPhone OS device? They're very good, but they beg for a controller (and maybe an 800x480 screen). There's no reason we shouldn't be able to have a premium gaming experience on most, if not all, of the Cortex A8/SGX offerings. But I do wonder if WebOS and Android don't slightly shoot themselves in the foot with their app layers.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Have you played any of the higher-end games on a recent generation iPhone OS device? They're very good, but they beg for a controller (and maybe an 800x480 screen).
Ask and ye shall receive (or at least ye shall be able to preorder).

http://gizmodo.com/5401275/new-icont...al-analog-nubs

There's no reason we shouldn't be able to have a premium gaming experience on most, if not all, of the Cortex A8/SGX offerings. But I do wonder if WebOS and Android don't slightly shoot themselves in the foot with their app layers.
More and more commercial games will find their way to smartphones. The speed of the N900's Cortex rivals that of a mid-level Pentium III and the Snapdragon pushes that up to a low-level Celeron M. Admittedly these are five to ten year old desktop processors but those specs were enough to run games as complex as Morrowind (and they had to deal with Windows layers which should make WebOS and Android layers a piece of cake).

The only obstacle is becoming the small screen. Ideally, hardware manufacturers will start developing graphics subsystems that can display at higher resolutions (800x600 would be a start but 1024x768 would be nicer) with the device screen becoming a virtual, zoomable, scrollable window that can be moved around the larger GPU output.

Just what I need. A new, pocketable way to waste time.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Ask and ye shall receive (or at least ye shall be able to preorder).

http://gizmodo.com/5401275/new-icont...al-analog-nubs
Very good demo, thanks. But I don't understand all the wires. I have an excellent Logitech wireless gamepad that has a USB 2.0 transceiver. It looks like they're going to a lower level than I thought would be necessary. If they are using USB, why wouldn't they have gone through that proprietary jack? Maybe it's a power thing; my gamepad does take batteries.

Just what I need. A new, pocketable way to waste time.
Exactly. Which is why we should have had these products yesterday. Aren't these guys trying to sell us stuff so we can waste more time?

Now you've got me curious. I found that at least part of the reason for the wires is power going into the iPhone from an internal battery on the game pad. It's also just a prototype at this point so I would assume the wires will be covered up better when (if) it hits production.

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

I love modularity!

Off-topic (but relevant):

I have a Fujitsu P7230. I have a modular bay.

I swap out my optical drive for a second battery or filler.

And I took a thinkpad modular harddrive tray, dremeled it down to 7mm (was 9mm), attached Fujitsu optical drive connector and stuck in a 320gb 2.5" into my DIY tray. A big upgrade from my internal 40GB 1.8".

I also love the battery design. The main battery is easily removable, just a couple of slide locks. Then I have an external charger that they call a "digital charger" and I can charge my primary and modular battery with it (it has two connectors, charges in series).

I'm not getting a new laptop unless it sports modular design.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Is it just me or does the keyboard part look like a bottle opener?

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Berlin/Germany
i thought exactly the same thing

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
daperl you forgot:
  • modularity always drives cost up