Active Topics

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
when i saw the title of this post i actually thought it was someone with a retail unit that has been using it for a few days and got disappointed....*sighs*

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobertHall For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
RobertHall: Going to be hard to find someone who actually has an N900 talking the way RealityCheck does...

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
At the risk of sounding like a girl, it's not what Realitycheck said, but how he presented it. I think we'd have had a potentially fruitful conversation about the N900 potentially not living up to some of the expectations of potential customers, whether these expectations are warranted or not is another issue, if the issues had been presented a little differently.

The biggest issue that I see is the potential that the actual ads are promising more than the device can deliver. I haven't seen any but I'll make some attempts to find them on some site accessible from China and check them out. If this is the case then that could pose a big problem, both for Nokia and for the people at this forum who'll be forever dealing with new threads regarding the devices failure to meet expectations.

If you notice a lot of iPhone/iPod commercials now don't even show any capabilities, they just have them twirling neatly across the screen looking nice. A feature that I must say tey do fulfill admirably.

Generally though I think this issue does warrant some discussion as it could affect everyone at the forum. But next time you post take some advice from Carla (the character on scrubs) and "let your crazy out in small portions" otherwise you might get reactions that are far from the type of constructive responses that I assume you wanted (by this I don't mean to say that your ideas are crazy, I just like the quote).

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
Wireless data transmission...you know that 21st century technology that allows you to transmit data wirelessly. Just because we see video data being received wirelessly doesn't mean we can't transmit it--considering the guy wrote the app specifically to do this. Maybe if you actually do more research on this, you'll actually see what the guy did.
ahem, the n900 is good, its damned good infact, but its not sending video over.

the onedotzero identity is a 2 part application.
the n900 portion takes user input and displays a slick ui to the user there and when the user selects an area the interactions change and allow the user to shake and tilt the device etc.
the user input and sensor data is transmitted over the wifi.

the massive heavyweight computers which are connected to the projectors take this input and produce the 3d ribbons.

theres a lot that the n900 could do itself (similar effects could easily be achieved at n900 resolution using the powervr, or just look at the fluid motion on liqflow but in this specific instance its not, the identity was rendered at some ungodly resolution and presented on a massive display using 6 HD projectors.

It's funny how I gave you all those links, proving you're wrong on the N900, yet you still can't face the fact that you're wrong. Instead you choose the one link that isn't fully explained in the video of 'how does it do it' so automatically you choose it as a basing point to strengthen your statement, even though you have already been proved overwhelmingly wrong by pretty much everyone counter-posting.
you watch the video yourself

disclaimer, i am the author of the onedotzero n900 controller.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
I'm screaming about Exchange support being crappy. Come over and read: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1592993
after reading your post I am for sure apple has trolls on a payroll.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
ahem, the n900 is good, its damned good infact, but its not sending video over.

the onedotzero identity is a 2 part application.
the n900 portion takes user input and displays a slick ui to the user there and when the user selects an area the interactions change and allow the user to shake and tilt the device etc.
the user input and sensor data is transmitted over the wifi.

the massive heavyweight computers which are connected to the projectors take this input and produce the 3d ribbons.

theres a lot that the n900 could do itself (similar effects could easily be achieved at n900 resolution using the powervr, or just look at the fluid motion on liqflow but in this specific instance its not, the identity was rendered at some ungodly resolution and presented on a massive display using 6 HD projectors.

you watch the video yourself

disclaimer, i am the author of the onedotzero n900 controller.

Thanks for clearing this up. I to was wondering myself exactly how it was done, and now you've explained it. Thanks. I've watched that video at least 20 times because I keep falling in love with it.

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-11-24 at 06:53.

Posts: 175 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester UK
I was fool enough to buy an iPhone 3GS (or a ShitePhone as I called it once I used it),,,,it was so inept, I can't explain it...it had so many very very basic features missing that Nokia had been implementing for many many years in even their basic models!

Further, about the multitasking - ShitePhone nor Apple or its users have any clue of what it is!!! I read somewhere that said people with a ShitePHone have a very low IQ (numpties!), I now understand that they are very true....I'm glad I got rid of mine as a numpty bought it off me.. i didn't even lose any money on it as the numpty paid me a good price!!

Bring on the N900 - kick some *** and chew bubblegum!!!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I just want to clarify: there are some things about the N900 that I'm disappointed with. I'd even go as far as to say that I'm quite disappointed with them.

However, the overall experience of the N900 is one of awesomeness, so you probably won't see real owners posting "Disappointed" threads very often.

It might happen. But it will be from people who bought the N900 expecting something completely different, or people who have a very narrow idea of what they want to do with their mobile device, or people who want/need specific non-supported features.

If you have read the articles and seen lots of the videos and you really want to get the N900, then don't worry, you'll be happy with the N900.

But I know. If you don't have it yet, the waiting just makes you kind of crazy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nashith View Post
I don't understand, technically I don't think the Cortex A8 is SMP or HT in any sense. So yes it is Task Switching in a sense.
Technically it is, but by the standard of multitasking we've used for 20 years now, it multitasks. Even multi-core computers multitask, since there are almost always more than even 8 processes needing to run at any given time.

Multitasking is what we expect high speed CPUs to do. (switch back and forth very rapidly between running processes)

Multiprocessing is what you get when you have multiple cores.

Even the iPhone multitasks, although that capability isn't exposed to the user outside of a few apps that keep at least part of themselves alive (exchange, the phone, the music player) even when they are in the background.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wierdo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
I'm screaming about Exchange support being crappy. Come over and read: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1592993
You scream like a girl

You need to use the iGirl - no girly cover for the n900 I am afraid. Grow up.

Tags
toidi na tahw