Active Topics

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
My expectations are quite low... I know I can't use it as a phone, and I know I will be uncomfortable with the smaller screen so I'll keep using the N8x0s for certain tasks... Basically I want it because it runs GNU/Linux and because I want to give it a chance somehow. (And because I want to make Peter happy ...)

So I could hardly be disappointed.

I'm afraid a lot of customers out there will be, though. They expect each and every detail they've come to take for granted from S60 phones and aren't even aware the N900 can't do it. Nobody expects a €600-device wouldn't be able to assign ringtones to contacts or read the caller's name on incoming calls.

I'm sure we'll see high return rates in the beginning until people understand that this is... different.
the n900 does read the incoming callers name

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

I'm afraid a lot of customers out there will be, though. They expect each and every detail they've come to take for granted from S60 phones and aren't even aware the N900 can't do it. Nobody expects a €600-device wouldn't be able to assign ringtones to contacts or read the caller's name on incoming calls.

I'm sure we'll see high return rates in the beginning until people understand that this is... different.
Yep. i expect some good deals on Ebay soon..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, from all I read, this is the perfect device for me.

* I need to make basic phone calls, both with cell and Voip.

* I need/want to listen to music.

* I need emails. (I'll live with web-based mobile Gmail for now)

* I need/want to watch SD DivX and xvid files

* I need a good calendar

* I need a program like Evernote

* I want a good mapping program and can wait for Sygic

The only thing I've read which is disheartening is the sad state of the email client. Hopefully, that gets updated somewhere along the line.

As you can see, I have simple needs and can't wait to hold the N900 in my greedy hands. Essentially, I want a device to replace my Cowon S9 and Blackberry.

I always wanted a 810, but there was no phone functionality.

Now there is the N900 with phoning and best hardware perfect cam querty and maemo 5.

What do I want more? Nothing, It will be my perfect device!

Edit: I think the software is wonderful, especially organizer functions, camera, media and emulators are most important for my needs.

I had only 1 expectation: smooth scrolling.and transitions. Doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon.

Originally Posted by danielwilson View Post
it doesnt speak out the incoming callers name, there is no option for that currently..

Originally Posted by danielwilson View Post
Really? Like my E71???

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's funny...

As a key player in the original advancement of these products (I was on the N800 launch team) I'm biased-- BUT, toward the "slate" form factor. I expressed disappointment early on with the N900 screen size. That was a dealbreaker (and still is) for some of my uses (car GPS for instance).

And yet... the N900 surprised me. I'm more of a slider phone guy and even at that my favorite all-time phone has been the E71 slim qwerty device. I did not expect to actually enjoy a touchscreen phone because I'm very tactile when it comes to communication devices.

And yet... I have thoroughly enjoyed this thing the past few weeks. Yes, it has some annoying quirks (like the jumbled up call log details) but for phone use I have not seen a single showstopper-- and I expected to.

So consider me reconsidered. I'd still make some hardware changes (like put the d-pad back on the front) but this is a damn nice device. And I say that despite being someone whose job Nokia management eliminated.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
I had only 1 expectation: smooth scrolling.and transitions. Doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon.
Odd... it's happening right now on mine...

But then, I'm only a little crazy.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Francisco
ive actually been looking for a new netbook. and the n900 kind of sells me for what I want in a netbook, plus it's smaller than most netbooks and its a phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to charbar For This Useful Post: