Active Topics

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
@My-Symbian.com

Actually the GPU in the iPhone 3GS is better than the n900's.
Yeah, I've heard. But I couldn't 100% confirm it anywhere. Apple seems to very allergic to publishing any detailed, official technical specifications. So until I can confirm it, I assume it's the same.

Originally Posted by My-Symbian.com View Post
Yeah, I've heard. But I couldn't 100% confirm it anywhere. Apple seems to very allergic to publishing any detailed, official technical specifications. So until I can confirm it, I assume it's the same.
Well, its a powervr 530 in the n900, 3GS reportedly has a 535. Not too sure how much that actually matters in a benchmark, as we dont have a good one. Thats all im saying.

This site and its comments have some interesting info about the GPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/sho...=3579&p=3&cp=7

Was talking with the Apple engineers at WWDC which technical data sheets to look up concerning the GPU within the new iPhone. It's the PowerVR SGX 535.

This chip is one up from the Palm Pre which is the PowerVR SGX 530.

The difference between these is more video based than anything else. 535 has hardware acceleration for H.264 encode/decode, MPEG 4 and JPEG. It also handles HD content to 720p in real time.

These specs seem to give a hint to what Apple are planning for future upgrades of the iPhone or other device. Suggesting, that if your developing for the 3GS then you're already developing for the next generation too.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info. Well, so it's slightly better then. But if the information is correct and the difference is mainly video acceleration related then it should not have much impact on things like scrolling.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say that the N900 has anything to be ashamed of when it comes to video playback or recording compared to the 3Gs, so it looks that the better GPU on the iPhone just isn't being taken advantage of in this regard.

To recap, if the better GPU on the iPhone has no influence on things other than video playback/recording, and video playback/recording is currently much better on the N900, I can still assume that they have the same GPUs, at least until Apple makes any use of iPhones better GPU

Last edited by My-Symbian.com; 2009-11-26 at 03:19.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You guys are way too damn ravenous if somebody has anything negative to say about the N900.

It's not perfect. Random reboots, some other glitches. And I'm one of the people that was wanting to get the hell away from that - I've had more than enough with three iPhone 3G in the last year, where each and every OS upgrade has been a potential disaster - 2.2x, 3.0.x and 3.x all have basically killed my iPhone.

So my disappointment reading about the problems people are running into is that it exhibits exactly what I'm running away from... a faulty experience, even if it's only just a few things.

I didn't expect perfection. But the things that is affecting people, I've already paid my dues.

You guys though... like piranha on the new posters that say anything otherwise.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You guys are way too damn ravenous if somebody has anything negative to say about the N900.

It's not perfect. Random reboots, some other glitches. And I'm one of the people that was wanting to get the hell away from that - I've had more than enough with three iPhone 3G in the last year, where each and every OS upgrade has been a potential disaster - 2.2x, 3.0.x and 3.x all have basically killed my iPhone.

So my disappointment reading about the problems people are running into is that it exhibits exactly what I'm running away from... a faulty experience, even if it's only just a few things.

I didn't expect perfection. But the things that is affecting people, I've already paid my dues.

You guys though... like piranha on the new posters that say anything otherwise.
Nah, not ravenous. I want all the naysayers to stop comparing it to a third gen device, and start remembering that this is a raw product and that it can only get better.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by phreck View Post
Nah, not ravenous. I want all the naysayers to stop comparing it to a third gen device, and start remembering that this is a raw product and that it can only get better.
I understand that, but how is this not a 3rd, if not 4th gen product ? All but the phone bits have been around. And Nokia is real good at the phone part.

I'm going to compare it to what I know, like and/or loathe because it has to replace it. Not a phone I had 3-4 years ago. One I've had just 3-4 weeks ago.

And things like random reboots and stuff, I didn't give Apple any quarter. Why should I give one to Nokia?

I have to say I am having some serious second thoughts about this device. I was seriously burnt by the N97 after waiting ages for it to replace my Nokia N95. Read all the negative reviews and thought it was all Apple/Iphone loveism that was causing this and I couldn't believe the company that made the N95 over 2 years before would release a new flasgship phone which wasn't super. Turned out the reviews were correct and I returned it after 3 days.

Shortly after I returned the N97 I heard about the Nokia N900. Since then I have been watching youtube videos of this device obsessively - everyday for almost 6 months now.

I had never heard of maemo let alone knowing of the existence of this website. But I stumbled across this site about 4 days ago.

I have to say the time here has made me have serious doubts about getting this device. The youtube videos just show how cool the device is. It doesn't show you the problems.

In the time here I have learnt that:

- there is no custom ringtones for each contact;
- there is no way to edit contact info;
- some devices reboot at random;
- there is apparently no inline control other than with a blue tooth headset (how am I to answer a call when listening to music through headphones on the tube? I have to pause the music then disonnect the headphones?);
- there is the possibility of corrupted memory;
- there is no skype video calling;
- RSS seem to have issues;
- the music player is not very intuitive.

I also suspect the music through headphones will not be loud enough for me.

I have heard that the device is completely open and this community can do amazing things with the device and feel in blanks Nokia has left. However, I am not a developer. What if no one can correct any of the issues or no one cares about things that are important to me such as custom ringtones? What if this is as buggy as the N97?

I am now having serious doubts as to what I previously thought was the greatest device in the world. Now I am thinking maybe I should get the HTC HD2 and a Zune HD as music player (since HD2 doesn't have flash drive and I need at least 32gb). But then I read the Engadget review and it seems to have issues. And Iphone is out of the question. If I am killing myself over a lack of custom ringtones for each contact imagine how I feel about a device that doesn't let you create your own ringtones or select your own background.

So maybe I don't have a choice but to get the Nokia N900. Maybe I should wait a few months to see if Nokia or the maemo community can fix the issues the phone seems to have. Unfortunately, my baby son decided to kill my N95 by filling it with 10 gallons of saliva. Now I am back to using my 100 year old N80. So have to get a phone within the next week or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

It's not perfect. Random reboots, some other glitches.
It definitely isn't perfect. I am currently creating a list of cons for the full review I'm going to publish soon, and the list is getting quite long.

But "random reboots" is not on that list. I've been using the N900 for three months now (since September 2nd IIRC) and I haven't experienced a single reboot or freeze... When it comes to stability, there is absolutely nothing I can complain about.

I must be very lucky then.

And no, I do not mind people complaining about the N900. I'm just allegic to people who complain in a very specific way, i.e. "what a cr*p this N900 is! nowhere near the fantastic stability and functionality of my iPhone". This is the only case that makes me react as I know the iPhone and lots if issues and drawbacks it has. The N900 isn't perfect, and so isn't the iPhone. Nothing is.

Im not here to convince you. Just wanted to point out that we are working with a 1st gen device which much dev coming fromt he community. This is more of a traditional linux distro, with good hardware to back it. Dont be fooled by the OS's that were sported by Nokias prior tablets, MAEMO is a different beast. A close relative maybe. Like i said, im not here to convince you.

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever