Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
I thought you wanted to steer away from semantics? If by *.avi you actually mean all files that have the extension .avi and by playing you mean that you can actually see and hear video and audio then it's not that straightforward.
I did wish to steer away from semantics. However you are right. Within the realm of what constitutes a *.avi file, you have a plethora of codecs and options that fit under that banner of what codec you will need to play that *.avi.

Now, with that said - and my total 100% correct prophecy that the "plain vanilla *.avi" verbiage would be the sole sticking point that would be pontificated upon ad nauseum - let's put it out there...

It can be Xvid, Divx, Microsoft, Radius Cinepak, and a ton of other codecs that all can be used with the wrapper that makes up the file extension *.avi. Now... to continue down that path will dilute the sole reason I'm even in this thread... I'm curious not about what codec or file format is the one of choice nor what should or might work... I'm solely curious about what works out of the box.

And I've already stated... since it's been somewhat proven otherwise, the OP was incorrect. Not unless there's a codec - which is pertinent to his dilemma and not the pedantic noise that's still forthcoming, then that is what is important.

Now, I think that's quite clear. The N900 "does play" *.avi files... right? Carry on.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It can be Xvid, Divx, Microsoft, Radius Cinepak, and a ton of other codecs that all can be used with the wrapper that makes up the file extension *.avi. Now... to continue down that path will dilute the sole reason I'm even in this thread... I'm curious not about what codec or file format is the one of choice nor what should or might work... I'm solely curious about what works out of the box.
From the N900 site:
Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp;
codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263

Claimed on the site. What can maybe contested as unclear here is that does not explicitly say wmv NINE and h264 BASE. The rest should be self explanatory.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
From the N900 site:

Claimed on the site. What can maybe contested as unclear here is that does not explicitly say wmv NINE and h264 BASE. The rest should be self explanatory.
Agreed. But the OP is having a problem with *.avi and *.wmv. Now the codec used in his example(s) is important. Not the prior (not from you) multiple pages of snarky attitudes.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Now the codec used in his example(s) is important.
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Mine has played everything I've thrown at it...

It's done one interesting thing recently... it managed to play a 1080p quicktime () file via the standard Win7 upnp service... has my n900 become magic or does the Win7 upnp server transcode on the fly?

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
Originally Posted by uris View Post
AC3 stereo audio works out of the box. But 5.1 AC3 audio does not work (player does not play file at all) 5.1 AC3 would be nice to downmix to 2 channels stereo or at least play left and right channel and leave rest alone.
you need it downmixed, otherwise it would makes no sense, since you would miss al dialouges from the center (at least when its a properly encoded track)

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
I created a wiki to document the list of supported codes for future reference. If, unlike me, you have knowledge surrounding the intricacies of codecs, please update it.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
I created a wiki to document the list of supported codes for future reference. If, unlike me, you have knowledge surrounding the intricacies of codecs, please update it.
Thanks!!!

as a suggestion
Could you add a location or link column in the table to download codecs /plugins etc that will allow users to do more (in the future)?

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
as a suggestion
Could you add a location or link column in the table to download codecs /plugins etc that will allow users to do more (in the future)?
Thanks. I figured the 'Additional Software' column to be used for that. The Package-Name listed there would be a link to a download-page in Extras or some other official/community web page.

The Following User Says Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
From the N900 site:

Standard mpeg works too. Well, some work and some do not, but some do work.