Active Topics

Whenever someone starts a thread or writes something about n900 performance being sluggish, immediately some other dude replies that his phone must be faulty.

Phones are identical, either they work or they dont. If the phone reboots then, sure, it could be a geometrical error in design on that specific phone. But still, this geometrical imperfection is within production design limits. The phone is not faulty - the production is.

But when performance is sluggish, I find it very unlikely that there is a hardware error on that phone. I think it is way more probable that the person complaining has higher expectations and/or standards of what is acceptable.

Stop complaining about guys complaining just because you have low expectations and drool as soon as a phone does something where no phone has gone before.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solpete For This Useful Post:
If there's a fault in the phone, the phone is faulty.

Production of these phones in huge numbers is going to have errors, it's the nature of pretty much everything mass produced and with the complexity that comes with computers, mobile phones, game consoles just increases that error rate. The amount of technology crammed inside of the N900 is only going to increase that error rate.

Hardware errors are common. There's also the problem that people who have problems tend to become more vocal, especially on forums.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rsuffix For This Useful Post:
It's not a phone. I am tired of people claiming it is.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
well, if someone complains about random reboots, it most probably means you have faulty phone.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by solpete View Post
But when performance is sluggish, I find it very unlikely that there is a hardware error on that phone. I think it is way more probable that the person complaining has higher expectations and/or standards of what is acceptable.
While you are probably correct in most cases, there are several ways a hardware fault could actually make a computer sluggish. A loose heatsink could cause automatic underclocking, for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
It's not a phone. I am tired of people claiming it is.
Interesting claim. I looked the word up in a couple of dictionaries. If you check it out at Wikipedia, you could be wrong in claiming it is not a phone:

"The telephone (from the Greek: τῆλε, tēle, "far" and φωνή, phōnē, "voice") is a telecommunications device that transmits and receives sound, most commonly the human voice....The device operates principally by converting sound waves into electrical signals, and electrical signals into sound waves. Such signals when conveyed through telephone networks — and often converted to electronic and/or optical signals — enable nearly every telephone user to communicate with nearly every other worldwide."

If it does the above, it's a phone, according to Wikipedia. If it doesn't, then you are right, it's not a phone.

I did check the Encylopaedia Brittannica as well. They seem to side with you in a roundabout kind of way.

"an instrument designed for the simultaneous transmission and reception of the human voice. The telephone is inexpensive, is simple to operate, and offers its users an immediate, personal type of communication that cannot be obtained through any other medium."

I thought the "inexpensive, is simple to operate" was kind of funny in this context. I guess you are right in your claim that the N900 is not a phone.

The EB definition may however be extinct soon, unless you accept it as a description of cheap or free software running on computers.

Originally Posted by rsuffix View Post
If there's a fault in the phone, the phone is faulty.

Production of these phones in huge numbers is going to have errors, it's the nature of pretty much everything mass produced and with the complexity that comes with computers, mobile phones, game consoles just increases that error rate. The amount of technology crammed inside of the N900 is only going to increase that error rate.
It's called using Quality Control. The world could always use a little more Deming.

The Following User Says Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by horus View Post
It's called using Quality Control. The world could always use a little more Deming.
quality control can't be 100% effective with first batches.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

i know a guy who got a faulty phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdave76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by solpete View Post
Whenever someone starts a thread or writes something about n900 performance being sluggish, immediately some other dude replies that his phone must be faulty.

Phones are identical, either they work or they dont. If the phone reboots then, sure, it could be a geometrical error in design on that specific phone. But still, this geometrical imperfection is within production design limits. The phone is not faulty - the production is.

Stop complaining about guys complaining just because you have low expectations and drool as soon as a phone does something where no phone has gone before.
Phone's may be identical, but logic proves that not all things will be alike, their will exist variations between identical things, in this case devices. You can't just say 'It's a production error but within production limit's', every mass production line whether it's ten cent mechanical pencils or $5000 LED TV's, issues will arise with some units, not all but some...it's illogical to think otherwise.

-Socrates 469 BC

Tags
more b*tching